CDZ Why Does Gerrymandering hurt Ds worse than Rs?

william the wie

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2009
A serious question.

It's not a lack of money. If you look at the top 50 richest Americans the majority are Ds. If you look at the self made top 50 they are almost uniformly D. Trump at $300 M is not top 50 while the Waltons and Kochs are not self-made by any definition.

But look at the benches since the 1976 election of Jimmy Carter no "mainstream" D has won the presidency. The D bench is getting older across the board. This has been commented on. For example the vast majority of R candidates at the first debate were younger than any of the four D candidates.

If you go to a stock screener: AOL, Yahoo, Value Line or whatever; and look for low beta/relatively high minimum div yield say 3% you will see something curious. Blue state municipal bond ETFs paying higher tax exempt yields than taxable treasury yields. This is very odd. So, the blue states are headed for some sort of cascading default wave.

Any idea why the above is happening?

Gerrymandering hurts whichever party isn't in control when it's done. It's a stupid thing to do, IMO, because it's a short term tactic for gaining political advantage that fails to take into consideration that people move and the character (sociopolitical) of neighborhoods/districts change over time, sometimes less than every 10 years.

As for the connection between gerrymandering and the yields of taxable vs. non-taxable securities, you lost there...Thus I definitely cannot say why it's happening because I don't know what you are talking about beyond that you've observed two facts that may or may not have a causal or predictive correlation. What you're asking about seems like the stuff of a scholarly study, not a casual discussion among folks of whom you know little nothing re: their willingness or ability to analyze the data and determine whether there is a non-exceptional correlation, and then establish the true nature of the correlation, assuming it is more than coincidental.

The de facto rating at which IL bonds are priced B, CA guarantees many but not all junk grade bonds in its territory making it a junk bond state. Go to your favorite stock screener and you will find a boatload of blue state bond ETFs with yields that are quite high and tax exempt.

Because too many Democrats don't participate in state and local democracy.

A serious question? Uh, no.

Here's a serious counter question, why does the only thread about gerrymandering that I can recall here in the CDZ make no sense?

A serious question? Uh, no.

Here's a serious counter question, why does the only thread about gerrymandering that I can recall here in the CDZ make no sense?

I suppose for a reason similar to why gerrymandering persists to begin with: everybody complains about it when their opponents are the ones empowered at the time to gerrymander election districts, but everybody also wants to be able to do the same when they end up being in power. As a result, it's an ill for which nobody wants a cure.

Forum List

Back