Why does an incumbent President need to campaign?

Liberty

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2009
colorado
Seriously. Americans expect their President to do his job...that's what he is being paid for. We don't pay for our President to make campaign stops on the back of air force one, and talk about all the greatness he has done (whether or not that is the case). An incumbent should be confident enough to let his or her record speak for itself and besides joining the challenger for a few debates near election time, do some fucking work for a change. This isn't directed JUST at Obama but it would be nice to see him actually show a sprinkle of character.

Last edited:
So an incumbant should just let the slings and arrows from his/her political opponent go unanswered?

That would be mighty convenient for the people who don't want the incumbent to get re-elected.

Why don't incumbents just drop out of the election? That's what you really are asking, isn't it? But only the incumbents you don't like, of course.

So an incumbant should just let the slings and arrows from his/her political opponent go unanswered?

That would be mighty convenient for the people who don't want the incumbent to get re-elected.

Why don't incumbents just drop out of the election? That's what you really are asking, isn't it? But only the incumbents you don't like, of course.

Why can a record not speak for itself? If it did that would show confidence, would it not? Why can't a President just say maybe in an address or something, "Hey guys I busted my ass for you these past four years, if you want to see the details of it be sure to check out my website, and if you don't think I did good enough vote for the other guy." I think it shows an extreme lack of character and confidence when an incumbent has to fly around and beg people to vote for him based on emotional appeals and smears.

Seriously. Americans expect their President to do his job...that's what he is being paid for. We don't pay for our President to make campaign stops on the back of air force one, and talk about all the greatness he has done (whether or not that is the case). An incumbent should be confident enough to let his or her record speak for itself and besides joining the challenger for a few debates near election time, do some fucking work for a change. This isn't directed JUST at Obama but it would be nice to see him actually show a sprinkle of character.

edit: I JUST woke up and made this...obviously in the thread title it's supposed to say "why," not "I."

This is a classic example of just how incapable of being fair the republican base is.

These people do not see playing fair as a value

Yeah Bush never campaigned while in office huh?

If you could actually read, you would see I said "This doesn't go just for Obama." But you are too big of a hack and frankly, a fucking lunatic, to resist the urge to just jump in and say "BUSH!" It's ok. You are psychotic and a waste of life, but hey...that's your right. Continue on.

How is it fair for a challenger to have to spend campaign money and an incumbent who should be doing a job spending tax payer money to go out and beg for votes? Explain that to me, lunatic.

Go get the post where you said the same thing when Bush was running.

You are transparent you idiot

edit: I JUST woke up and made this...obviously in the thread title it's supposed to say "why," not "I."

This is a perfect example of holding President Obama to totally different standards than any president before him has had to. Thank you for providing it.

So both of you are now going to tell us you hated it when Bush did it in a manner the eclisped anything that Obama has said to date?

Well basically yeah.

But he does have a golden nugget buried in the hackery.

The political process in this country is saturated with money and electioneering goes on for far to long. I'd prefer that our representatives, senators and president focus on the country's problems..as opposed to the next election.

Why can a record not speak for itself? If it did that would show confidence, would it not? Why can't a President just say maybe in an address or something, "Hey guys I busted my ass for you these past four years, if you want to see the details of it be sure to check out my website, and if you don't think I did good enough vote for the other guy." I think it shows an extreme lack of character and confidence when an incumbent has to fly around and beg people to vote for him based on emotional appeals and smears.

Because, as we have witnessed over not only the past four years, but as long as I can remember, the record gets distorted, lied about, minimized, and sometimes denied by political opponents. It's non-partisan....but I'll give your side credit, you've taken scumbag politics to a whole new level.

Because, as we have witnessed over not only the past four years, but as long as I can remember, the record gets distorted, lied about, minimized, and sometimes denied by political opponents. It's non-partisan....but I'll give your side credit, you've taken scumbag politics to a whole new level.

which side is that? the side of common sense? im writing in ron paul. I have no side in the battle of the two. If Obama wins I am cool with that because maybe that will push the republican party further towards my beliefs. If Obama doesn't win, I'm cool with that too. Gross generalizations are a hallmark of the left, and honestly make you look dumber than you probably are which is in and of itself quite an accomplishment. What a vast majority of political hacks on both the left and the right don't understand is the concept of principle and character. If the office of President is an office of service, then why would a President get all butthurt about losing? If it happens it's because he didn't do as well as the people expect and change is good, or is that not the slogan anymore?

Last edited:

which side is that? the side of common sense? im writing in ron paul. I have no side in the battle of the two. If Obama wins I am cool with that because maybe that will push the republican party further towards my beliefs. If Obama doesn't win, I'm cool with that too. Gross generalizations are a hallmark of the left, and honestly make you look dumber than you probably are which is in and of itself quite an accomplishment. What a vast majority of political hacks on both the left and the right don't understand is the concept of principle and character. If the office of President is an office of service, then why would a President get all butthurt about losing? If it happens it's because he didn't do as well as the people expect and change is good, or is that not the slogan anymore?

The side of Conservatism and it's ridiculously false dialogue of "anyone who does not believe as I do is a Communist.....you know....the typical bullshit that you see on this very site day after day.

Funny you should mention losing....I have no problem with Obama losing....I will accept Romney as president. I won't go on tirades on how "he isn't one of us" because he's a Mormon, I won't make up ridiculous shit about him because I don't agree with his policies.

But you fuckers can't do that, can you? You accept the lies and distortions coming from the right wing media without question and claim it as fact. But hey, that's how you sheep rule.....then you double down and try to call Obama divisive. It's that

I have no problem with the president campaigning . What I do have a problem is him lying saying he is on a job tour when he is clearly campaigning with our tax dollars... That would go for any president REP or Dem

Forum List

Back