Why does a god care if you worship it or not?

So what does "worship" mean?

1.) treat somebody or something as deity: to treat somebody or something as divine and show respect by engaging in acts of prayer and devotion
2.) take part in religious service
3.) love somebody deeply: to love, admire, or respect somebody or something greatly and perhaps excessively or unquestioningly

The first one is probably the closest definition that pertains to our discussion. While the third may be similar to what you were trying to say, it is used more in a context of a hyperbole (in literature) or simply an exaggeration in a conversation. For example: "He worshiped the ground she walked on."

One and three aren't all that different, at least from a Christian point of view.

In you own word, how does one "treat someone or something as deity"?

Jesus defined it as Loving God with all your heart, all your mind and all your spirit.

Read Jesus' words in Luke 10:25 "How to inherit eternal life". No worship, only love.

I think the definition sums that up: "engaging in acts of prayer and devotion," but also in praising him during and out of a religious service (which somewhat relates to devotion). Not to mention doing all of this in an unquestioning and loyal way.

God is not the type where you have to lay on the ground paying homage to..

He is more like the type you have a beer with and tell your troubles

1.) treat somebody or something as deity: to treat somebody or something as divine and show respect by engaging in acts of prayer and devotion
2.) take part in religious service
3.) love somebody deeply: to love, admire, or respect somebody or something greatly and perhaps excessively or unquestioningly

The first one is probably the closest definition that pertains to our discussion. While the third may be similar to what you were trying to say, it is used more in a context of a hyperbole (in literature) or simply an exaggeration in a conversation. For example: "He worshiped the ground she walked on."

One and three aren't all that different, at least from a Christian point of view.

In you own word, how does one "treat someone or something as deity"?

Jesus defined it as Loving God with all your heart, all your mind and all your spirit.

Read Jesus' words in Luke 10:25 "How to inherit eternal life". No worship, only love.

I think the definition sums that up: "engaging in acts of prayer and devotion," but also in praising him during and out of a religious service (which somewhat relates to devotion). Not to mention doing all of this in an unquestioning and loyal way.

Read the Jesus' example Prayer to Our Father. Forgive sin, advance God's will, give strength.

Prayer is a conversation with God. "These are my concerns, I am having trouble overcoming this sin, or this evil thought or this anger. Thanks for watching over me and my wife and folks and kids. Help me understand your will. Give me strength to overcome my weaknesses and fulfill my purpose in your plan. Amen."

Last edited:
Prayer is a conversation with God. "These are my concerns, I am having trouble overcoming this sin, or this evil thought or this anger. Thanks for watching over me and my wife and folks and kids. Help me understand your will. Give me strength to overcome my weaknesses and fulfill my purpose in your plan. Amen."

Fair enough. I suppose prayer wouldn't be in association with worship. If anyone disagrees, then please say so so we can continue the discussion.

So, as of right now, the term worship means to have a strong, unquestioning loyalty and devotion towards something or someone and to praise it/him/her on a regular basis. That is the current definition that we have defined so far, so (again) if anyone disagrees with this then please say so.

I think this should have been our first priority in the beginning: defining the term worship. So, good call Missourian.

Last edited:
You can actually make a list of those who don't worship God, say, starting from Satan, then you can try to evaluate what their fate might be.

To simply put, the follow is a typical route for those who finally turn away from God.

don't love God--> don't worship God --> pride --> sin --> leaving God --> dead when judged by Law

This is a typical route for those who started from don't love God. Everyone (I mean EVERY without exception) everyone who doesn't believe in God is somewhere in a position in the above route. Say, an atheist is around in the position of "pride --> sin". So if you want to stop people from finally leaving God, better tell them to love God and worship God, such that they won't go the worst position of "dead when judged by Law".

God want your worship just because that's your best position to be.

Last edited:
The Christian god is a jealous god, and Allah is the same. Being an Atheist as I am I frankly don't devote a moment of my time thinking about them (or heaven or hell), they only exist in the mind of believers not in reality.

But if they do then I would frankly rather burn in the hell they laid out for me, and in the eternity I have fight in a rebellion to depose the tyrant god and his sadistic minions, if successful it will be the god and his angels burning for their crimes against humanity including genocide, rape, torture, slavery, and lets not start on the 'perfect world' he made for mankind to live in, as for the Devil he is simply following a sadistic gods orders (lets not forget god made Hell and Heaven and hired the Devil to run his torture center*). :rolleyes:

*No wonder George W. loves god so much. ;)

It was the old testament god who was a jealous God to be feared. "do as God says or you will be punished"

Jesus preached a more loving God. "If you love God, he will love you back"
Moderate Christians love to talk about how Jesus fixed the Old Testament, or, in other words, obsoleted the horribly offensive parts about slavery, keeping women in their place, killing gays, etc. In fact, he did no such thing.
I’ll be doing two things here:

1. Show you that Jesus fully supported everything in the Old Testament
  2. Show you exactly how horrible that is.
So first, here is Jesus speaking specifically on the topic of Old Testament teachings:
The Law Stands

“For truly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass the law until all is accomplished. Whoever then relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but he who does them and teaches them shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.” — Matthew 5:18-19​
“It is easier for Heaven and Earth to pass away than for the smallest part of the letter of the law to become invalid.” (Luke 16:17)​
“Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets. I have come not to abolish but to fulfill. Amen, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest part or the smallest part of a letter will pass from the law, until all things have taken place.” (Matthew 5:17)​
“Did not Moses give you the law, and yet none of you keepeth the law” (John7:19)​
Keep in mind, this is Jesus Christ saying this–in the Bible that all Christians own and cherish. Don’t take my word for it; look it up–it’s all there.
So now that we understand that he fully supported what’s in the Old Testament, let’s take a look at what he actually just commanded us to uphold.
No, Jesus Did Not Soften the Old Testament–In Fact He Did the Opposite, and Here’s What That Means | danielmiessler.com
The Old Testament must be followed as well for you to be a Christian, it says so in the New Testament. :tongue:

A realm of nothingness is a contradiction in itself, first you would have to prove there is a realm of nothingness (there is no such thing as nothing in our universe), that aside god obviously created Satan imperfect as he betrayed him, and inadvertently as a result of his actions created evil, and is thus responsible at the very least for the cascade reaction from that, including hell.

PS: The bible disagrees with you.

Genesis 1:31
God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. "God purposefully designed a system that ensures the suffering and death of all his creatures, parasite and host, predator and prey." :cuckoo:

Actually, the biblical quote you just shared with us agrees with my point of the world not being perfect. As for the concept of nothingness, I never said it makes sense (I am not a Christian, so I do not follow their ways or religious text). Also, I suppose you could be right about the Christian god knowing what it was doing when it created Satan. It depends if you believe in predestination or not.

Because if you don't, you'll burn in HELL for all of ETERNITY!

:lol:
God is meant to be all seeing, all knowing, perfect, clairvoyant, all powerful and so on, so he had to know what he was doing when he created Satan and what the after effects would be. :lol:

Um not it doesn't, he created the world perfect then man sinned and committed acts of evil, and it turned imperfect, man the flawed creation of god. :lol:

Genesis 2:1 Thus the heavens and the earth were completed in all their vast array.

You can actually make a list of those who don't worship God, say, starting from Satan, then you can try to evaluate what their fate might be.

To simply put, the follow is a typical route for those who finally turn away from God.

don't love God--> don't worship God --> pride --> sin --> leaving God --> dead when judged by Law

This is a typical route for those who started from don't love God. Everyone (I mean EVERY without exception) everyone who doesn't believe in God is somewhere in a position in the above route. Say, an atheist is around in the position of "pride --> sin". So if you want to stop people from finally leaving God, better tell them to love God and worship God, such that they won't go the worst position of "dead when judged by Law".

That is completely flawed logic. Many non-theistic Buddhists don't worship a god, and I am positive they don't move towards sin and pride.

God is meant to be all seeing, all knowing, perfect, clairvoyant, all powerful and so on, so he had to know what he was doing when he created Satan and what the after effects would be. :lol:

Um not it doesn't, he created the world perfect then man sinned and committed acts of evil, and it turned imperfect, man the flawed creation of god. :lol:

Genesis 2:1 Thus the heavens and the earth were completed in all their vast array.

Again, it depends on if the Christian believes in predestination or not. Also, the quote still agrees with me. It doesn't matter if the world was perfect in the beginning, it is imperfect now. Like I stated in one of my previous posts, I felt that the story of Adam and Eve made this very clear.

Fear of punishment is a very primal instinct and is evident in most primative religions. God is an angry God and will punish you in unimaginable ways if you do not believe in him

God is a good guy, he likes to laugh and doesn't fuss over the picky crap

Forum List

Back