Why do you want more government in your life?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Avatar4321, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,163
    I just want to know why? Why don't you want more freedom to choose what you want to do?

Do you really think government will do everything better than you would?

I just don't get it.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Dante

Dante On leave Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,054
    because it is a government by, for, and of the people. :eusa_whistle:

3. Luissa

Luissa Annoying Customer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,664
    I want to know how the government will be more involved in my life?

4. Dante

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,054
    It will check up on you to see if you are gay in the military and it will check up on all your doctors appointments to make sure you aren't having an abortion to save your life.

5. Political Junky

Political Junky Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,537
    For sure, if the right wingnuts have anything to do with it. They'd love a theocracy.

6. Dante

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,054
    Some would. That's a fact. The others would be heard screaming on their way to the ovens "I'm not one of them, I'm one of you!"

7. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    Because it's easier than taking personal responsibility.

There is someone to blame for your own shortcomings and failures.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  8. theDoctorisIn

theDoctorisIn Senior Mod Staff Member Senior USMB Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,948
    Who do you think wants more government in their lives?

9. Kevin_Kennedy

Kevin_Kennedy Defend Liberty

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,027
    I don't think anyone will answer that they want more government in their own lives, but more government in other people's lives is fine.

10. Munin

Munin VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I don't think it s good/smart to just say that government in general is good or bad. It would be saying that an apple in general is bad before eating the specific apple and knowing what it tastes like, some apples are bad and others are good: this is not much different with governments. (srry for the very simple explaination, it s just the first comparison that came to my mind :tongue: )

The fact of the matter is that governments have brought us to where we are today, wether we like it or not. For centuries governments have ruled us and provided us wealth and prosperity, but also have caused us harm (by waging wars, corruption, ...). Like many other things government is like a tool that can be used for 2 things: to harm or to protect/improve.

So to say in general that government is bad would be an ignorant and stupid comment. In the same way you can not say that a government is good to solve everything.

What you re also ignoring is that governments can also provide individuals with freedom instead of denying it to them, a government can make it so by creating laws that enable this situation were people can be able to do things freely (free speech, freedom of expression, ...). A government provides you a safe society to live in: a police force and a military that protect your rights and freedom.

It will help you when you are in serious trouble: if a natural disaster happens, you or your family are being assaulted by another person for no good reason, it will provide your society with the means to increase your freedom of movement (roads, bridges, airports, canals, railroads, ...), ...

Unlike in an anarchy (place with no government), were people can be also "free" but not in the same way: they can be oppressed by others who use violence to achieve what they want.

If you look at all the civilications of the past, you ll notice that all of them were ruled by governments and in certain cases more government was good. Look at how the roman empire improved by implementing more laws and rules (over the centuries).

I m assuming with freedom you mean a gov that keeps making more laws and regulations that restrict how people can behave: It s just wrong to assume that rules and the institution that makes them are always bad, it s like having a sport with no rules. I know at first it can be fun to do, but after a while you would like to do a sport in a more efficient way. That s why certain rules in a sport game are good to improve the game, but if 1 rule is bad then it does not mean you should ban the institution that made the rules: you should figure out a way to ban the bad rule (elect new people that would ban the bad rule).

So the irony of your assumption may be that the reason for your freedom is the government.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2010