Why do you think LBJ was a terrible president?

I don't think he lied. I do believe he was lied to by the military. I am an historian, and I still rate LBJ among our top five greatest presidents. NOBODY but LBJ could have managed to get the legislation through Congress that he did. He knew how to twist arms and get cooperation better than any American president in history. We needed LBJ when he was president. No other man could have done what he did.

A lot of people think JFK was an important President. The only thing he did that was important beside get the top his skull blown off was his announcement that we would go to and return from the moon before a decade was up (The 1960's).

Again, the important thing to note was that LBJ got that program through Congress when nobody else would have managed. Easily one of the greatest true politicians in World History.

A historian who knows nothing about history.

Kennedy....Peace Corps, Nuclear Test Ban Treaty, sent in troops to support desegregation of schools in Miss. and Alabama, supported the integration of the military, stood up to the Russians during the Cuban Missile Crisis, got the Space Program going, the Alliance for Progress in Latin America, two Supreme Court appointments, gave a landmark speech in West Berlin, and gave one of the greatest political speeches in American history at his inauguration.

All this in less than 3 years....

A historian who knows nothing about history.

Kennedy....Peace Corps, Nuclear Test Ban Treaty, sent in troops to support desegregation of schools in Miss. and Alabama, supported the integration of the military, stood up to the Russians during the Cuban Missile Crisis, got the Space Program going, the Alliance for Progress in Latin America, two Supreme Court appointments, gave a landmark speech in West Berlin, and gave one of the greatest political speeches in American history at his inauguration.

All this in less than 3 years....

and lets not forget..

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WSGwnz7XpY&feature=related]YouTube - The speech that got John F. Kennedy Killed[/ame]

The fact he was the biggest douchebag ever as POTUS would probaly be the reason.

Outside of my personal disgust with him for getting himself a SILVER STAR for flying in a plane OVER AUSTRAILIA HUNDREDS OF MILES FROM COMBAT, there was that whole Vietnam thing.

He also set the stage for the mommy state that has so mired our economy and productivity.

Oh, and forgot to mention he was the king of dirty tricks, and a massive pervert, known to try and corner and assualt women in the white house.

A totally disgusting prick from top to bottom.

I see so many polls and so many people saying that LBJ was a terrible president, but I've never understood why. Was there anything else besides the mis-handling of the Vietnam War that made LBJ one of the worst presidents in history?

Didn't LBJ sign into law the Civil Rights Act?

the man was an evil bastard.He was involved in the kennedy assassination reversing kennedys policy to withdraw completely by 1965 and esculating it instead and like someone said before,the gulf of tonkin incident,and yeah he did sign the civil rights bill but only AFTER kennedy got it started and set in motion.that was one thing LBJ did continue that Kennedy started.

Viet Nam explains his lackluster popularity, of course.

When the boomers are all dead, maybe then he'll get some respect.

Same with NiXXon, too , really.

That war was toxic to this nation, folks.

I see so many polls and so many people saying that LBJ was a terrible president, but I've never understood why. Was there anything else besides the mis-handling of the Vietnam War that made LBJ one of the worst presidents in history?

Didn't LBJ sign into law the Civil Rights Act?

LBJ grew up dirt poor so could relate to blacks and civil rights . It was the 4th such Act by Republicans and he was the first Democrat president to support any of them. So he alienated a majority in his own Party so they hate him. Republicans hate him because he got us into a war then didn't support the troops. Third, there's always a suspicion that he had Kennedy assassinated, and there's enough evidence to suggest that.

Forum List

Back