Why do you oppose the social safety net?

The welfare state is not a partisan issue, at least as it applies to the two major parties. Both agree it is necessary. The partisan bitching is just noise designed to deceive.
Wrong

The partisan bitching as you put it is the right insisting on sensible regulations to prevent abuse & the left just wishing to keep the status quo of heads in the sand

Few oppose a 'safety net' in the most basic sense, but history has shown how easily one may fashion such a net into a collar and shackles. It's the history of the democrat party.

The social safety net of this nation never prevented anyone from finding a way out of poverty

It certainly has worked to incentivize against it. Something the democrat party relies upon.
democratic party...gheesh...

The welfare state is not a partisan issue, at least as it applies to the two major parties. Both agree it is necessary. The partisan bitching is just noise designed to deceive.
Wrong

The partisan bitching as you put it is the right insisting on sensible regulations to prevent abuse & the left just wishing to keep the status quo of heads in the sand
Hardy, the state you live in is putting laws through legislation to limit the time you can get welfare, for life...3 years. and you must get a job..... The feds have released the responsibility to the states...

If the government wants to be in the business of paying people to be lazy, they are going to have to increase their wage scale if they want me.

What percentage are lazy? We always get this from the right. I want a number. If you can't supply a number/percentage of the American public that is lazy, then it's clear that you are basing your argument on simple talking points.

really, not one person on the LEFT has every voiced that huh. We have 47% of the people on some form of taxpayers/government assistance. so you're going to tell us not ONE OF THEM is lazy? this is what we always get from the left

get real. You on the left might think you're all some saints sent down from the heavens above. but many people know better

Did I say that there were no lazy people in America? No! Don't put words in my mouth.
53% of people receiving government benefits are 65 and older, 20% are disabled and under 65, 18% are in a working household and are non elderly or disabled, the rest are in non-working households.
Now, what's that do to your numbers? What percentage of Americans are leeches?

Wrong

My post was aimed at the two major parties, not their sycophantic followers. The two parties fully intend to continue the welfare state, which means the R party is a bunch of f-ing liars. They may recognize the failure of the welfare state and talk of amending it, but continue to support it. The Ds support it 100%.

So once again, on this issue and so many others, there is little difference between the two parties.

I thought it might be useful to understand where our opponents are coming from. If you're one of those fighting national healthcare or food stamps or taxpayer supported shelters, I want to hear from you. What is your reasoning? How do you propose we ensure the daily survival of the poor without feeding and housing them? How did you come to those conclusions?

Also, have you ever had to live in those conditions yourself? Do you know anyone who had to do so? Family? Friends? Associates? Can you tell us about your background at all? I only ask because it's hard not to notice how many of those people opposing these things have little personal experience with poverty or understanding of the lifestyle those programs enable.

I don't. The social safety net is an essential thing that we as humans provide to help those in real need. The problem though, is when people decide they don't want to work, even when they can. There is no reason for workers to support those who choose NOT to work.

Forum List

Back