Why do you believe/disbelieve in God?

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 22, 2004
Minnesota
I think the title pretty much sums up the question. One more though.

Are you offended by this question?

cuz it doesn't exist.

Avatar, is kolob a cool place to visit?

In other words, you dont have a clue. You just decided so without any investigation and proclaimed yourself intelligent. I can see how well that's going for you. Great job.

Coming from a doofus who thinks his god comes from kolob, a planet that doesn't even exist for real, that's a TOTAL laugh!!!! :D

Coming from a doofus who thinks his god comes from kolob, a planet that doesn't even exist for real, that's a TOTAL laugh!!!! :D

You dont have a clue what I believe. And I doubt youd ever pick up a book and try to learn.

I think I have covered much of the question you ask in different places on this forum...

One of the best things I have ever been allowed to witness is written on this blog I wrote several years ago for friends. I have shared it once before on here and shared it with a few friends I have made here at USMB.

Visions And Dreams: Jesus truly came for ALL

Avatar, you embarrassed to tell me anything about your religion? Not surprised to tell you the truth.

Nonsensical troll dung aside, I'll take the bait on the original question.

First I must clarify; while I don't believe in the God of The Bible, it doesn't mean I am an atheist, I simply mean that if there is a conscience creator of all, The Bible is way to small a window in the history of life on Earth to reflect His / Her image. As a percentage of life produced here, mankind is but a drop in the bucket... as a percentage of the story of mankind, The Bible documents somewhere between not much and very little.

The single reason I gave up my faith in the god described in The Bible is that I was told a more plausible story of our origins... The Journey of Man: A Genetic Odyssey
(LINK: Sample Chapter for Wells, S.: The Journey of Man: A Genetic Odyssey.)

Combined with a well documented history of men and nations using Christianity and fear of God for greed and personal gain, The Journey of Man makes more sense and seems to fit the historical evidence much more accurately.

The final nail is the common sense that dictates that a god who cared enough to take on flesh and walk among us would not have let His good name be so violently abused by His 'children' as the well documented history of Western 'Civilization' proves otherwise.

No, I am not offended by your question.

-Joe

Last edited:
I would say that I disbelieve in the personal gods of theism. I believe this for logical, ethical, metaphysical, and aestheic reasons. The idea that we are all the slaves of an ultimate, absolute, Big Brother, is such a repugnant idea that I can't imagine what would prompt anyone to believe it, except out of fear...

IAre you offended by this question?

I think that it is incumbent upon everyone, to have some kind of reasoned view when it comes to their most existential beliefs and commitments. Eschewing a reasoned approach to the ultimate questions, relying exclusively upon some preferred sacred text and being offended when the opposing party to the discussion refuses to except the "evidence" of the text, to me is surely to be on the path away from the discovery of truth...

I think the title pretty much sums up the question. One more though.

Are you offended by this question?

Why do you believe/disbelieve in God?

I take nothing on faith. As popular it is to millions of people in my view the bible and every other so called support for the existance of a supeme being is purely and simply bad evidence.

I don't care how many people believe or want to believe..if they are in error..they are in error.

Offended by the question? No... I'm offended at the weakness that some conclude and conceed on this question.

Intellectual laziness by giving up and inserting a supreme being in the space reserved for imperical evidense is offensive.

i do because of things happend to me in my life if there was no GOD i would not be here today... getting beat and the things i was around.... all my life i would be dead or into things i shouldnt be... i had GOD heal me and so that is enough for me to say GOD IS REAL TO ME...................

No matter how illogical, no matter the lack of the evidence some require, regardless of my very own mathematical ability and love of sound Science, no matter how crazy it may appear to some and for good reason, you could say....

I still believe in God...lock, stock, and barrel and there is nothing anyone, including myself, can do about it or can do to take that Spiritual awareness, away....it is here to stay, no matter what....:D

care

Last edited:
No matter how illogical, no matter the lack of the evidence some require, regardless of my very own mathematical ability and love of sound Science, no matter how crazy it may appear to some and for good reason, you could say....

I still believe in God...lock, stock, and barrel and there is nothing anyone, including myself, can do about it or can do to take that Spiritual awareness, away....it is here to stay, no matter what....D

care

I feel the same way I know God is real in my heart and soul and others that know he is real feels the same way............ but for those who dont is hard to tell them he does if they dont want to know

I take nothing on faith.
'Depends. Are you a positivist?

i do because of things happend to me in my life if there was no GOD i would not be here today... getting beat and the things i was around.... all my life i would be dead or into things i shouldnt be... i had GOD heal me and so that is enough for me to say GOD IS REAL TO ME...................

So.. your god exists, and that's why you were beat and your brain doesn't work? How about 'if a god of infinite love and mercy exists, why did thee things happen to me when i cried out to him'? You're being dishonest with yourself because you find your delusions comforting

I don't believe in God for a number of reasons:

#1. Life experiences. All of my life experiences suggest that if there is a supreme being, S/He/It doesn't want it to be known.

#2. I refuse to believe in anything that can't be verified through research, evidence, and logic because then I could believe in anything, whether it was true or not, and that kind of mentality wouldn't align well with reality and truth. I also refuse to belive in anything dogmatically.

#3. My learning. Too many things that I have learned, that vibe with my life experiences, that coincide or concur with other fields of study don't adhere with the teachings of any organized religion and I've studied all of them, some more than others.

#4. I refuse to be a member in an institution that refuses to see its own hypocrisies, has too many flaws, and upholds values that I don't think are moral, among other things.

I'm not offended by the question in the least bit.

Forum List

Back