Why do women only play best of three sets in tennis? Men play best of five. How cute.

Tennis may be athletic but it not interesting for many. When you have characters like John McEnroe was, it brings interest. Some sports need a Star Trek evil universe transfusion.....Oh no, Serena is breaking out the chainsaw!
Tennis was hugely popular in the 70s and 80s
Not just to watch, but to play

Today it is an afterthought
Courts around the country are converted to basketball or skateboarding
Tennis was more a blue blood sport or trended that way at one time. Golf was like that also. In golf I remember guys in my neighborhood taking it up and older people also. Clubs both public and private flourished. Arnold Palmer was nearing the end and Jack Nicklaus and Lee Trevino who was known as "Super Mex" were a few ruled in that era back then.

Who says women haven't lobbied to play best of 5 matches? In fact, women have played best of 5 at certain points, although not in the Grand Slams. This information has already been brought up in this thread.
Lol

Ok, why not in the grand slams?

Have seen you make that point. Now, let us know why not in grand slams.

Because the people in charge of the Grand Slams haven't allowed it. Women have lobbied to play best of five there, as well. Why don't men play best of five anywhere other than the Grand Slams?
Best of five is too long

I don't think it's necessarily too long. It can be, but it can also lead to incredibly compelling tennis. Depends on the matchup. :dunno:
Is a 12 inning baseball game better than a 9 inning game?

More is not necessarily better

Entirely dependent on the game. Not inherently better, not inherently worse.

Tennis may be athletic but it not interesting for many. When you have characters like John McEnroe was, it brings interest. Some sports need a Star Trek evil universe transfusion.....Oh no, Serena is breaking out the chainsaw!
Tennis was hugely popular in the 70s and 80s
Not just to watch, but to play

Today it is an afterthought
Courts around the country are converted to basketball or skateboarding
Tennis was more a blue blood sport or trended that way at one time. Golf was like that also. In golf I remember guys in my neighborhood taking it up and older people also. Clubs both public and private flourished. Arnold Palmer was nearing the end and Jack Nicklaus and Lee Trevino who was known as "Super Mex" were a few ruled in that era back then.
As kids, we didn’t have access to golf courses. My dad had some beat up clubs and we would whack the ball in the back yard

Tennis was free at the school courts. Wooden racket and white balls. You always had to wait to get a court. Today I live near a High School and rarely see anyone but the tennis team using it

People will fall asleep if they watch too much women’s tennis.
Only gay men will fall asleep! I prefer womens tennis,golf and volley ball! Love going to LPGA not only look great but are accessable!! Hugged many and loved every second of it! When I was a young man I use to go to Zuma #7 in Malibu where many pro-beach volleyball players played right on beach. I had a book 48 breakfasts under 280 calories! Greatest book ever written!! I cooked for a few of them. Wish I were young again! I miss the days I got more than a hug out of them!

Is a 12 inning baseball game better than a 9 inning game?

More is not necessarily better
The point is women demand equal pay for less work. Their feminism functions very well when it comes to getting paid but not so well when it comes to earning that pay. It's pure hypocrisy.

I wish there was a hot Asian player who screams like Bruce Lee.
female-asian-tennis-stock-photo_csp12443044.jpg

(1) Women generally cannot play at a high level for a five-set match. This is particularly true now that Serve&volley is dead. Long points are the norm.

(2) The boredom factor in tennis is also due to the death of serve&volley. I love tennis, and still have little interest in watching Djokovich & Nadal hit thirty groundstrokes until one of them hits it into the net.

(3) Playing truly competitive tennis in the U.S. requires a bankroll (a family either with MONEY, or one willing to give up their individual lives for one kid to pursue the sport). This is why Black kids are generally absent, even though their natural "gifts" would make them unbeatable on the tennis court.

(4) The biggest impediment to U.S. international success is play by age group (or grades in school). In the rest of the world, you play against players at your level, not at your age. In Europe, the best 12-year-old tennis players are playing against 16's, being constantly challenged to get better. In the U.S. the best 12's are playing against other 12's (generally). And we don't have enough kids competing. They would rather play a team sport, like soccer, basketball, football or baseball.

(5) I always root for the girl who is cutest.

(1) Women generally cannot play at a high level for a five-set match. This is particularly true now that Serve&volley is dead. Long points are the norm.

(2) The boredom factor in tennis is also due to the death of serve&volley. I love tennis, and still have little interest in watching Djokovich & Nadal hit thirty groundstrokes until one of them hits it into the net.

(3) Playing truly competitive tennis in the U.S. requires a bankroll (a family either with MONEY, or one willing to give up their individual lives for one kid to pursue the sport). This is why Black kids are generally absent, even though their natural "gifts" would make them unbeatable on the tennis court.

(4) The biggest impediment to U.S. international success is play by age group (or grades in school). In the rest of the world, you play against players at your level, not at your age. In Europe, the best 12-year-old tennis players are playing against 16's, being constantly challenged to get better. In the U.S. the best 12's are playing against other 12's (generally). And we don't have enough kids competing. They would rather play a team sport, like soccer, basketball, football or baseball.

(5) I always root for the girl who is cutest.

Way to mix racial bigotry and misogyny into a tennis post. :lol:

Forum List

Back