Why do we.... ?

uscitizen

May 6, 2007
My Shack
Why do we tend to make shrines of tragic failure types of locations?

The Alamo?
The Arizona?
Ground Zero?

Why not equal emphasis on places where good things happened.
Like a monument on a beach where the first bikini was worn?
Medical achievements, etc...

I think it helps a lot of people cope with tragedy and put things in perspective to have a physical place to show their respects. It's human.

But yeah...I see your point. How about a monument to pizza? With free samples. :eusa_drool:

It's lunch time.

The Alamo?
The Arizona?
Ground Zero?

Because mystery surrounds death. It's something that humans fear, because we cannot imagine a world without our presence. We memorialize tragedy as a way to give meaning where meaninglessness seems to exist.

[/QUOTE]

Because mystery surrounds death. It's something that humans fear, because we cannot imagine a world without our presence. We memorialize tragedy as a way to give meaning where meaninglessness seems to exist.[/QUOTE]

Interesting take on it. I've never looked at it from quite that angle. I've always approached it more from the paying honor aspect.

Because mystery surrounds death. It's something that humans fear, because we cannot imagine a world without our presence. We memorialize tragedy as a way to give meaning where meaninglessness seems to exist.[/quote]

Interesting take on it. I've never looked at it from quite that angle. I've always approached it more from the paying honor aspect.[/quote]

It's both.:) We pay honor to those whose lives have been sacrificed, either willingly or by an act of fate. When we lose someone we love, it's difficult to identify with them any longer, so we, in effect, try to keep their memory alive. It sounds silly, but it's a human need to continue relationship with those who have left us. I lost a son back in 1995. I have a box that I keep a few of his personal belongings and mementos in. My rational mind knows he's gone, but I keep a part of him here symbolically. I know that he is gone physically, but the emotional bond is unbreakable and is the meaningful part of human relation.

The Alamo?
The Arizona?
Ground Zero?

may as well ask "Why do bears shit in the woods?"

There is a human tendency to not want to forget the dead.

If we just forget the dead then it means death is the end.

No matter how we try death is the end and the real advantage of not forgetting the dead is the chance to learn the lessons the history leaves us.

Its when we rewrite the real history that we fail ourselves.

Please righties quit rewriting history for you political gain.

Bad info in = bad decisions.

Because mystery surrounds death. It's something that humans fear, because we cannot imagine a world without our presence. We memorialize tragedy as a way to give meaning where meaninglessness seems to exist.

Interesting take on it. I've never looked at it from quite that angle. I've always approached it more from the paying honor aspect.[/quote]

It's both.:) We pay honor to those whose lives have been sacrificed, either willingly or by an act of fate. When we lose someone we love, it's difficult to identify with them any longer, so we, in effect, try to keep their memory alive. It sounds silly, but it's a human need to continue relationship with those who have left us. I lost a son back in 1995. I have a box that I keep a few of his personal belongings and mementos in. My rational mind knows he's gone, but I keep a part of him here symbolically. I know that he is gone physically, but the emotional bond is unbreakable and is the meaningful part of human relation.[/QUOTE] Hey sorry about your son man. I hate to hear shit like that. You're right though. The body is ashes to ashes. The memory lives on no matter what. And I'll bet he really appreciates that box. I think we remain aware of what's going on once we've departed. I do believe there is a spirit.

The Alamo?
The Arizona?
Ground Zero?

True, we are emotionally driven animals.

The Alamo?
The Arizona?
Ground Zero?

True, we are emotionally driven animals.

And especially in groups.

The Alamo?
The Arizona?
Ground Zero?

You do know that the bikini is named after a nuclear test site, don't you?

Why bother having grave stones? Fuck 'em. Throw them in the landfill. [/sarcasm]

Last edited:
We name schools after the good things. Prime example, my junior high was named after Salk. And my high school was named after a man who donated a lot of money and land to the parks system here. ;)

The Alamo?
The Arizona?
Ground Zero?

A perfect example of WhiteyRighty missinformation. Otherwise known as lying.

The "bikini" was christened before the bomb testing.

"Bikini" 1946

Hydrogen Bomb test "Bravo" over Bikini atol 1954

The History of the Bikini

Bikini History

The Alamo?
The Arizona?
Ground Zero?

"Bikini" 1946

Bikini History

The bikini was invented in 1946 and named after the Bikini Atoll in the Marshall Islands, the site of atomic bomb testing.
Very first paragraph in the first link you provided proved me right. Please note that I did not use the term hydrogen bomb in my post. The fist nuclear bomb was actually detonated on the Bikini Atoll in 1946, the same year that the bikini was invented.

Bikini Atoll - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But please do not let truth get in the way of your attempts to rewrite history.

Last edited:

"Bikini" 1946

Bikini History

The bikini was invented in 1946 and named after the Bikini Atoll in the Marshall Islands, the site of atomic bomb testing.
Very first paragraph in the first link you provided proved me right. Please note that I did not use the term hydrogen bomb in my post. The fist nuclear bomb was actually detonated on the Bikini Atoll in 1946, the same year that the bikini was invented.

Bikini Atoll - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But please do not let truth get in the way of your attempts to rewrite history.

OK... I missed the 1946 test when reading the info. Sue me...

New Topics

Forum List

Back