Why Do We Worship Big Business?

There may be no other generation of Americans who have so badly used by Big Business. Millions have been posioned by bad prescription drugs. An oil spill the size of the fucking Moon now covers the Gulf. The taxpayer who has had to pay to bail out the Mega-Banks is now paying again for their lagging profits through higher credit costs and bank fees, etc. I could go on and on about the Evils that have been let loose in this country lately by Big Business, and yet..........

Over and over on USMB I read posts that are written to defend, deny, excuse or protect Big Business. Very few are willing to see Walmarts for the predator it is. People are confused as to whether we ought to blame BP for the spill. Maybe it was Obama's fault, or just an accident they couldn't prevent. There are several posters on another thread who wish away liability for United after a passenger was imprisoned by a flight crew that failed to wake her to deplane. Almost no one wants to lay blame on Big Agriculture for its exploitation of illegal aliens and the resulting avalance of harm caused to our communities. I could go on and on about the vile actions of Big Business, and I think all of you reading this could as well.

I am assuming most of these folks are not themselves the Executive Managers of any Fortune 500 company. We used to have a distrust for and distaste for such people and a healthy regard for ourselves. We were all taught in school about the Big Trusts and the horrors they inflicted; why are we so complacent about the horrors let loose on us by the Fortune 500 today?

When exactly did this worshipful attitude towards Big Business come to be in this country? What accounts for it? Cause it just confuzzles the living shit out of me.

Great post Maddy, i agree with all of your viewpoints. As to the why, i would have to say it is technology such as TV that distracts us and also the fact that the cost of living has gotten so high that people are busy just trying to survive and also many are raising families as well.

Forum List

Back