Why Do We Worship Big Business?

Discussion in 'Conspiracy Theories' started by Madeline, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    There may be no other generation of Americans who have so badly used by Big Business. Millions have been posioned by bad prescription drugs. An oil spill the size of the fucking Moon now covers the Gulf. The taxpayer who has had to pay to bail out the Mega-Banks is now paying again for their lagging profits through higher credit costs and bank fees, etc. I could go on and on about the Evils that have been let loose in this country lately by Big Business, and yet..........

Over and over on USMB I read posts that are written to defend, deny, excuse or protect Big Business. Very few are willing to see Walmarts for the predator it is. People are confused as to whether we ought to blame BP for the spill. Maybe it was Obama's fault, or just an accident they couldn't prevent. There are several posters on another thread who wish away liability for United after a passenger was imprisoned by a flight crew that failed to wake her to deplane. Almost no one wants to lay blame on Big Agriculture for its exploitation of illegal aliens and the resulting avalance of harm caused to our communities. I could go on and on about the vile actions of Big Business, and I think all of you reading this could as well.

I am assuming most of these folks are not themselves the Executive Managers of any Fortune 500 company. We used to have a distrust for and distaste for such people and a healthy regard for ourselves. We were all taught in school about the Big Trusts and the horrors they inflicted; why are we so complacent about the horrors let loose on us by the Fortune 500 today?

When exactly did this worshipful attitude towards Big Business come to be in this country? What accounts for it? Cause it just confuzzles the living shit out of me.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  2. candycorn

candycorn Alis volat propriis

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,058

I don't know of anyone who "worships" big business. People shop at Wal Mart because they get stuff cheaper than at the stores down the street. When you are operating a mile under sea-level and something goes wrong, you're going to have problems fixing it--duh. If Mom-and-Pop ran a Pfizer, they'd have just as many recalls as Pfizer had or Winthrop, or McNeil labs, etc.... I'm not sure what your point is but if you're asking why large businesses are favored; there isn't much mystery to it.

3. Barb

Barb Carpe Scrotum

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,586
    There is an assumption hard-wired into the American culture that the economic and social (they are connected) systems are inherently fair and equitable. This assumption leads people to believe that those favored by the system prosper because they are smarter, harder working, and more virtuous. This naturally leads to the assumption that those not so favored are less so.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  4. martybegan

martybegan Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,985
    I disagree with the "millions" being posioned by drugs, but hundred of millions have had thier lives saved or extended by the same drugs. And yes there is a huge spill now, but we have been pumping oil out of the ground for 150 years now and the major spills have been few compared to the amount of rigs drilled. I do think the bank bailout was questionable, but those banks are paying back the money with interest.

Big business was actually far more harmful in the early 1900's due to trusts and lax regulations. This period just seems worse because you are living in it.

This is far from worship of big business. This is the economic system we have. There are others, but they have an even worse track record with regards to rights and the environment. Look at state-communism, where the regulator and the factory were both owned by the goverment.

On a side note the plane thing isnt really in the scope of the other items you bring up. Yes, they should have checked the plane, but how much damage can be done to a person being stuck on an airplane, on the ground, at an airport? its not like they were being stalked by bengali tigers or something like that.

5. Granny

Granny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,255
    I'm not so sure people in general worship big business. One of my biggest bitches is the damned automated voice-mail trees. The piss me off - the only tell me that they "value our business" .... very little. There should be two choices:

If you want to use our automated system, press 1.
    If you want to speak to a representative, press 2.

The big companies have gotten out of hand at this point. They're so massive in size that they're really not manageable anymore - things "fall in the cracks" so to speak. Smaller banks give better customer service. The telephone companies should be broken back down to what they used to be - regionally owned/operated. Sure, we can get things cheaper at WalMart - but WalMart bullies it's way into towns that don't want their stores and WalMart is not that great an employer. They have tons of lawsuits going on all the time - from employees and customers alike.

I'm not sure when "bigger is better" got started, but I do know that I thought the '80s would never come to an end - huge buy-outs, takeovers, were a constant - and "He who has the most toys wins" was the mantra of the day.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  6. Christophera

Christophera Evidence & Reason Rule

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Values and principles have been altered by the intentional uses of semiotics on television and in films to manipulate the thinking of populations. Instincts have been manipulated over 2 generations. Fears and desires exploited.

As the family was broken down in its ability to meet its needs, the corporations were empowered to replace the human capacity to directly meet needs. Big money, social power became a fantasy that Americans witnessed from their couches then strove to conform.

The mentioned assumption of fairness results from the belief that courts will make it fair if there are abuses. The populations are distracted from noticing that courts are not often fair and just while acting in a capacity to provide the rightful and lawful authority they represent under the US Constitution.

7. trailertrash

trailertrash Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6

It's not hard to figure out friend. Big business means big money with which to buy influence. That's all there is to that. Before long we will be living in:

The Corporate States of America

where "we the people" is now "we the consumers" or "we the suckers" or "we the peasants who serve the corporate land owners":eek:.

It will change after the next revolution to restore 1776 democracy gets here. And guess what? Just like in 1776 the conservatives will be the neo-torys and it will be the forward thinking liberals that make it happen. It was the liberals that declared independence from England then and it will be they who declares independence from Corporations in the near future.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  8. Christophera

Christophera Evidence & Reason Rule

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +74
  9. Si modo

Si modo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,703
    "We"?

Pa-leeze do NOT include me in much of anything even remotely related to you, Madeline.

10. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    Good point. Lucky we're on the (very, very long) ignore list, huh?