Why do we tolerate this?

Aug 3, 2015
I am legally allowed to drink, as long as I don't drive 'over a certain limit' That's cool, makes sense, right?
How many DUI accidents, deaths, etc, do you read about in the news almost every day, versus how many cannabis related deaths etc, do you read about in the news?
This seems like an ' to zero' ratio to me, so why do we still tolerate that alcohol is legal while marijuana is not?

I am legally allowed to drink, as long as I don't drive 'over a certain limit' That's cool, makes sense, right?
How many DUI accidents, deaths, etc, do you read about in the news almost every day, versus how many cannabis related deaths etc, do you read about in the news?
This seems like an ' to zero' ratio to me, so why do we still tolerate that alcohol is legal while marijuana is not?

This will be the next big culture loss for Conservatives. Followed by a round of calls for civil war, changing the Constitution to allow states to leave if they want to, and then some guy swearing to "make America great [once] again".

It is a very juvenile argument to not legalize marijuana.

what, actually, is your question?

Two of the main differences I see
1. Because alcohol has a lot more other uses that don't involve intoxication or addiction,
it is more problematic to ban it. With marijuana, if it is so necessary to use,
then this could be done through medical treatment where it is not abused.
There are not a lot of other consumer uses for it as there are with alcohol that would be affected by banning.

2. There is a bigger issue with political agenda and denial of addiction issues with marijuana
than there is for alcohol. I don't know anyone trying to deny there are addiction issues with alcohol
as there are people actively and politically insisting there are no risks with marijuana.

So this is a separate issue in itself.

Marijuana CAN be proven to alter the brain and personality in adverse ways
that alcohol does not for most people.
(For severe addicts, and people trying to self-medicate for depression or other disorders,
neither marijuana nor alcohol is going to help those pre-existing disorders but likely make them worse.)

I think it is safe to say that the majority of people consuming or using alcohol are not doing it out of addiction,
while the majority of people using marijuana are not doing it for necessary medical or other uses,
but most are doing it to get high.

Instead of merely negating the studies, I think complete studies should be fully established before making legislative decisions. Otherwise, my question is WHO is going to take responsibility for longterm health problems
connected with marijuana legalization and usage?

I think if both sides of the debate had to PAY for the consequences and expenses associated with each,
we'd see a huge shift to invest in prevention of addictions and abuses that nobody can afford to pay for.

3. Some suggestions I have are to make it a "health and safety violation" to provide ANY such intoxicating substance to someone known to have an ADDICTION, or to require anyone with an addiction to go through rehab for it if there is a complaint of abuse, and until that complaint is fully resolved. This is similar to keeping guns out of the hands of mentally ill people who don't pass screening. Why not keep alcohol or other drugs away from people with mental illness, unless and until they receive proper treatment so they are not feeding an addiction.

If people could be held liable for being an ACCESSORY to potentially dangerous addictive or abusive behavior, then maybe that might address the root problem which is addictive abuse of either or any substance.

Instead of arguing which substance is better, worse or more deserving to be restricted,
why not address the "Addiction or Abuse" as the common problem, regardless of the substance involved.

I'm sure some conservatives would love to ban alcohol too.

It's called keeping the government out of your lives small government, apparently.

I'm sure some conservatives would love to ban alcohol too.

It's called keeping the government out of your lives small government, apparently.

They're only against government if it is to help people. They're all for making our lives a living fucking hell and throwing half of the country in prison.

Loserterians want the workers to make less money, make all drugs and booze illegal and watch our infrastructure fall into rivers...idiots all.

Truth is the first casualty of war.
The drug problem could easily be solved through witnessing. Pothead are never called to witness until the police have a way to control the truths they speak. This corrupts their testimony.
A true witness knows too much about undercover sources and methods for their witness to be politically acceptable. Law is the answer to all of these politically charged crimes.
Without truth, there is no Law.

The reason is mainly because alcohol has always been in our history. The only reason it's not illegal still is because of the violence and all that was caused by prohibition. Why do Americans love drugs and alcohol so much?

Forum List

Back