Why do we still use sign language?

It is the only way deaf people could communicate for over a hundred years

Now, everyone has a smart phone. Isn’t there an app that can do voice recognition?
A deaf person can also type a response and have the phone speak it
Simple answer, so you can communicate with deaf people.
Exactly

A hundred years ago, sign language was the only option. Today’s technology should open up hundreds of new ways for the deaf to communicate

Now, everyone has a smart phone. Isn’t there an app that can do voice recognition?
Simple answer, so you can communicate with deaf people.
Exactly

A hundred years ago, sign language was the only option. Today’s technology should open up hundreds of new ways for the deaf to communicate
Myopia has destroyed countries before.

Why not let deaf people choose their desired modes of communication ?

Right sorry it's because you and actually incapable of minding your own business

And if you really wanted an answer to this question you would be asking an actual deaf person

This is what happens when a thread is started out of complete ignorance of the topic.

If I ran the world it would be compulsory for all deaf persons to wear mittens. I would also create an American Idol where only the deaf would be permitted to perform. Finally make that twaddle watchable.
I truly don't know whether to laugh or for you be chagrined.
I would also make the blind shop for their own clothes..in shops supplied exclusively by Goodwill Industries.

If I ran the world it would be compulsory for all deaf persons to wear mittens. I would also create an American Idol where only the deaf would be permitted to perform. Finally make that twaddle watchable.
I would also make the blind shop for their own clothes..in shops supplied exclusively by Goodwill Industries.
Okay....

Okay....
Glad to have you on board Xelor...next step...world domination.

I can see a few reasons why:

1. It is analogue - no need for electricity or batteries.
2. It is a secret code which enables deaf people to talk about non-signers right in front of them.
3. It's quite beautiful.

How the hell would we play baseball without sign language?

Imagine a catcher texting every pitch to the pitcher....

It's also of course essential in any social situation where you want to communicate something simple (like "shut the fuck up" in a movie theater) without other parties hearing you and/or without disturbing them.

We use subtle sign language in every visual interaction, even unconsciously lip reading as we converse. It's said that the reason the Amish won't use telephones is that it removes all the visual cues of face-to-face interaction.

Last edited:

I can see a few reasons why:

1. It is analogue - no need for electricity or batteries.
2. It is a secret code which enables deaf people to talk about non-signers right in front of them.
3. It's quite beautiful.

4. (related to 1) it's 'right-brained' as opposed to the 'left-brained' analytical process that a text conversion would require. The same reason I keep an image of an analogue clock (with hands) on my phone. It's quicker, less thinking involved, no translation necessary, no need to read digits and then plug those digits into a context of 'what that means'.

Another example is a car speedometer. I get a quicker analysis from looking at where the needle is, than reading a number off my GPS and then translating it from the abstract.

Forum List

Back