Why do we still use sign language?

rightwinger

Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster
Aug 4, 2009
It is the only way deaf people could communicate for over a hundred years

Now, everyone has a smart phone. Isn’t there an app that can do voice recognition?
A deaf person can also type a response and have the phone speak it

Now, everyone has a smart phone. Isn’t there an app that can do voice recognition?
I still use it to communicate with other tribes........

CTdmB1LUsAAUnH-.jpg

And occasionally other drivers..........

giving-the-finger-profile.jpg

Because there's still deaf people, dumbass. Without writing or phones, they still need a way to communicate.

Are you prejudice against deaf people or something? In case you didn't know: There is life beyond little smartphones. Perhaps you didn't, so there, I said it.

actually, going by what I know about the administration and students at Gaullaudet University, they are very intent on retaining their individuality and means of communication.

Why do we still use sign language?
Sign language is used by deaf people for a number of reasons. Perhaps the most important is that signing can be understood at a distance somewhat greater than that of the content displayed on a phone or uttered by one. Another is that signing, like speaking, generally is not constrained by battery life or access to electricity.

I still use it to communicate with other tribes........

CTdmB1LUsAAUnH-.jpg

And occasionally other drivers..........
I still use it to communicate occasionally [with] other drivers..........

LOL

Because there's still deaf people, dumbass. Without writing or phones, they still need a way to communicate.

Are you prejudice against deaf people or something? In case you didn't know: There is life beyond little smartphones. Perhaps you didn't, so there, I said it.
No shit Sherlock

But deaf people have more technology at their fingers than just their fingers. There are high tech options available that do not require knowledge of American Sign Language

No shit Sherlock

But deaf people have more technology at their fingers than just their fingers. There are high tech options available that do not require knowledge of American Sign Language

So now you want to deprive the deaf people of knowledge, is that correct? Make them dependent on the technology, instead of self-reliant? :cuckoo:

No shit Sherlock

So now you want to deprive the deaf people of knowledge, is that correct? Make them dependent on the technology, instead of self-reliant? :cuckoo:
Opens up knowledge

No shit Sherlock

Opens up knowledge

riiight.

No shit Sherlock

it's part of their culture. Deafness as a disability is one of the easier ones to overcome, as most people are sight-centric anyway. Thus while it was something to overcome, being able to still be a productive member of society even without technology was easier than say a blind person, or a person without hands or the ability to walk.

Plus there were enough of them for them to form their own community groups, and sign language basically became their "native" language.

iu

No shit Sherlock

opens up knowledge
??? :cuckoo:

Save for the knowledge that comes from recognizing some sounds, the knowledge of all of humanity is already "open" to deaf people. Moreover, some deaf people weren't born that way, so for those folks some of the knowledge that comes from recognizing certain sounds may yet be possessed by them. The challenge deaf people face is that they can't adequately hear, not that they can't read, write, emote, recognize emotions and in other ways communicate, all of which are the skills and capabilities one needs to access the overwhelming majority of humanity's knowledge.

Simple answer, so you can communicate with deaf people.

If I ran the world it would be compulsory for all deaf persons to wear mittens. I would also create an American Idol where only the deaf would be permitted to perform. Finally make that twaddle watchable.

Forum List

Back