Why Do We Still Have Racists?

It is pretty mild, doesn't change the fact that math never lies, percentage wise no one race owns a monopoly on stupid or racism. I would say the percentages of race on this board are pretty even to the percentages on race in society overall, and it stands to reason so to does the percentage of stupid and or racism.

There are far fewer blacks in the aggregate population of Earth, than any other race, therefore, there are far fewer black racists, black women, black retards, black zoologists, and black plumbers.

Well DUH, that is why I said percentages, not raw numbers.

You don't know that the aggregate population is represented on USMB, or the internet.

Why do you guess it is?

There are far fewer blacks in the aggregate population of Earth, than any other race, therefore, there are far fewer black racists, black women, black retards, black zoologists, and black plumbers.

Well DUH, that is why I said percentages, not raw numbers.

You don't know that the aggregate population is represented on USMB, or the internet.

Why do you guess it is?

Why do you guess it isn't?

We still have racists because they are needed to determine who is eligible for affirmative action and all other government racial preference programs.

Very cynical, foxfyre. I'm not sure that ACLU lawyers actually make any money on their cases; I am fairly sure most are volunteers. I know most of us yearn for a color-blind society.....maybe if we drop the racists on their heads again?

Or again and again and again?

A President got elected via racism and its after effects. No debating that.

weaselly hogwash.

I'd say Obama was elected despite lingering racism. He certainly would not have been considered a viable candidate in the 1960's. In the dark ages, it was considered a major step forward that we had elected a non-protestant.

I'd say Obama was elected despite lingering racism. He certainly would not have been considered a viable candidate in the 1960's. In the dark ages, it was considered a major step forward that we had elected a non-protestant.

This is true. It is historic. But the fact that Americans congratulate themselves and pat themselves on the back because they elected a BLACK man is evidence that racism is alive and well. When we are truly non racist, the color of a person's skin will be of no more consequence than hair or eye color.

You want to see the legacy of the racism that remains in this country? And it is some of the most well intentioned people who continue to perpetuate it:

. . . .The most serious injustices suffered by blacks came at the hands of government, at different levels, failure to protect personal liberty. Slavery was only the most egregious example of that failure. Congress and the courts supported the injustice of slavery through the 1850 Fugitive Slave Act and the Dred Scott decision. After emancipation, there were government-enforced Jim Crow laws denying blacks basic liberties and court decisions such as Plessy v. Ferguson that reinforced and gave sanction to private acts that abridged black people's liberties.

The heroic civil rights movement, culminating with the 1964 Civil Rights Act, put an end to the grossest abuses of personal liberties, but government evolved into a subtler enemy. Visit any major city and one would find that the overwhelmingly law-abiding members of the black community are living in constant fear of robbery, assault and murder. In fact, 52 percent of U.S. homicides are committed by blacks, 49 percent of homicide victims are black and 93 percent of them were murdered by fellow blacks. The level of crime in black communities is the result of government's failure to perform its most basic function, namely the protection of its citizens. The level of criminal activity not only puts residents in physical jeopardy but represents a heavy tax on people least able to bear it. That tax is paid in the forms of higher prices for goods and services and fewer shopping opportunities because supermarkets and other large retailers are reluctant to bear the costs of doing business in high-crime areas. This government failure has the full effect of a law prohibiting economic development in many black communities.

Then there's the grossly fraudulent education delivered by the government schools that serve most black communities. The average black high school senior has a sixth- or seventh-grade achievement level and most of those who manage to graduate have what's no less than a fraudulent diploma, one that certifies a 12th-grade level of achievement when in fact the youngster might not have half that. If the Grand Dragon of the Ku Klux Klan wanted to sabotage black academic excellence, he could not find a more effective means to do so than the government school system in most cities.

Tragically, most Americans, including black people whose ancestors have suffered from gross injustices of slavery, think it quite proper for government to forcibly use one person to serve the purposes of another. That's precisely what income redistribution is: the practice of forcibly taking the fruits of one person's labor for the benefit of another. That's also what theft is and the practice differs from slavery only in degree but not kind.

What about blacks who cherish liberty and limited government and joined in the tea party movement, or blacks who are members of organizations such as the Lincoln Institute, Frederick Douglass Foundation and Project 21? They've been maligned as Oreos, Uncle Toms and traitors to their race. To make such a charge borders on stupidity, possibly racism. After all, when President Reagan disagreed with Tip O'Neill, did either charge the other with being a traitor to his race? Then why is it deemed traitorous when one black disagrees with another, unless you think that all blacks must think alike?. . . .
A MINORITY VIEW

I'm not sure I follow you, foxfyre. Why's this man's POV racist?

He is not racist. He is illustrating the racism that remains in this country and describing the damage that it continues to do and what happens when people of color are singled out for 'different' or special treatment because they are people of color. Not demanding the same degree of obedience to the law or demanding the same degree of excellence from black people, for instance, because they are 'disadvantaged' or a 'minority' is one of the most sinister and damning forms of racism remaining.

(He is a black PhD Professor of Economics by the way.)

white-guilt.jpg

Forum List

Back