Why do we spend so much (that we don't have) on BOMBS and GUNS?

Re mandatory spending, you overlook that Social Security is a separate entity, paid from a separate payroll tax designated for that purpose; Not from income taxes.

Doesn't matter. The money all goes to the same place.

It is still collecting more money than it's disbursing, although you'd never know it just from reading posts around here.

That won't last once the Baby Boomers are in full retirement mode.

Your right on both counts. The program needs to be revamped. Sidenote, my suggestion is they raise the collection age to 70 and be done with it. But that's just me.

The defense budget is in the realm of $1 trillion per year. You can continue to delude yourself all you want, my claims are far from bogus. In fact, they're quite easily verified.

And again, Social Security is paid by a fund established for that purpose, which is supplied by payroll taxes (FICA), NOT income taxes. It is not losing money yet. It's getting close and will not survive upon it's current trajectory, but so far it will not lose money this year nor has it ever.

The Social Security Fund? :lol: There's no Social Security Fund, you idiot. The government takes that money out faster than it comes in and SPENDS it. All there is in your vaunted "Fund" is a bunch of IOUs. Are you really imagining that there's a big bank account somewhere that all your FICA money goes into and just sits there until you ask for it back at retirement? Please.

Money is fungible, you dimwit. I don't have enough time to give you a full economic lesson, but I wholly suggest you enroll in a class sometime. You desperately need it.

Yes at some point the government determined that the SS Trust fund could not stand still and do nothing; It must be invested like any other long term investment. We invest it in the operation of our government, which is better than borrowing more money from other nations.

Just the same, in 2009 the fed collected $949 billion in SS Payroll tax, and disbursed $944b. Regardless of the fact that the actual funds (Which as we already covered, are fungible) were not lock-boxed and sent out to recipients, the program still collected more than it disbursed.

You're putting money in one pocket and paying recipients out of another pocket on the same pair of jeans. It's hardly the budget-busting money laundering scheme you paint it as.

Ponzi scheme - Dictionary definition and pronunciation - Yahoo! Education

Thanks for that whole "I don't have time to explain why I'm right, but take a class, because I am" line. It never fails to amuse me when you idiots try that.

The Social Security Fund? :lol: There's no Social Security Fund, you idiot. The government takes that money out faster than it comes in and SPENDS it. All there is in your vaunted "Fund" is a bunch of IOUs. Are you really imagining that there's a big bank account somewhere that all your FICA money goes into and just sits there until you ask for it back at retirement? Please.

Money is fungible, you dimwit. I don't have enough time to give you a full economic lesson, but I wholly suggest you enroll in a class sometime. You desperately need it.

Yes at some point the government determined that the SS Trust fund could not stand still and do nothing; It must be invested like any other long term investment. We invest it in the operation of our government, which is better than borrowing more money from other nations.

Just the same, in 2009 the fed collected $949 billion in SS Payroll tax, and disbursed $944b. Regardless of the fact that the actual funds (Which as we already covered, are fungible) were not lock-boxed and sent out to recipients, the program still collected more than it disbursed.

You're putting money in one pocket and paying recipients out of another pocket on the same pair of jeans. It's hardly the budget-busting money laundering scheme you paint it as.

Thanks for that whole "I don't have time to explain why I'm right, but take a class, because I am" line. It never fails to amuse me when you idiots try that.

Sounds like a lot of people have suggested you take a class. Maybe you should do it. Don't worry, just because you learn a little something doesn't automatically make you an "Elitist."

Why do we spend so much on military?
The Constitution states "...provide for the common defense". It's mandatory. The cost is dictated in most part by what threats we face today.

Health care is not in the Constitution by the way if that's what yer' getting at.

you best be trolling. most of the spending is purely offensive and overboard

Why do we spend so much on military? Theories?

We're #1, and we spend as much as numbers 2-15... Combined. Why? Is there anyone out there who actually believes we need to spend this much for traditional defense/safety reasons?

I've got my own theories but if it pleases the court I'd like to hear from ya'all first.

This is an easy one. It is easy to waste our money when it is in the name of defense. The GOP double the debt thru Defense spending and the Democrats are forced to overspend or else they'll be deemed "weak on defense". But the Dems waste less on Defense because they need the money for inner city/poor people programs. Things that help poor/hard working Americans. Not fat cat pentagon buddy no bid contracts.

Sounds like a lot of people have suggested you take a class. Maybe you should do it. Don't worry, just because you learn a little something doesn't automatically make you an "Elitist."

I already got your surrender the first time. No need to make yourself look pathetic.

I already got your surrender the first time. No need to make yourself look pathetic.

YOU got ME to surrender?

Ha! :rofl:

Please, link us up to where THAT happened.

Your nonsensical psycho-babble could not get anyone to surrender. The problem is, when dumb people like you get to ranting and raving, eventually smart people like me get disgusted, realize the conversation is going nowhere, so just give it up. At that point, you think you've won the argument because you're OH SOOOOO profound in your post; Believe be, that's NEVER been the case with the likes of you!

Got me to surrender! Tell me another!!:lol::lol:

Last edited:
Why do we spend so much (that we don't have) on BOMBS and GUNS?

Because the US honchos have no intelligent arguments to convince people with.

Your right on both counts. The program needs to be revamped. Sidenote, my suggestion is they raise the collection age to 70 and be done with it. But that's just me.

Why is it that the government can't change the pension benefits for public employee union members in order to change the retirement age from low to mid 50s - but it's okay to alter the planned retirement age for those who have paid into SS for their entire careers?

Given the massive unfunded liabilities for SS and Medicare, we are going to have to increase eligibility ages and do means testing before they crater the government. Such measure, however, should be accompanied by very aggressive restructuring of the pension and benefit programs for our so called "public servants".

Forum List

Back