Why Do We Refrigerate Our Eggs and Europeans Don't?

I think that refrigerating them makes them last longer. I read that any kind of extreme temperature changes can turn eggs bad, so that is a reason to store them in the fridge.

I don't know guys, I think I will probably continue to refrigerate my eggs. :)

I get fresh eggs from a friend that raises chickens. He collects the eggs, puts them in cartons and sells them....unwashed. When I store them at home, it's not in the fridge. I wash each egg just prior to using it. They fry better when they start from room temperature. I love mine over-easy....real easy.

They probably cook faster, but if I want them room temp, I just take them out and let them sit on the counter for a little while.

I think that refrigerating them makes them last longer. I read that any kind of extreme temperature changes can turn eggs bad, so that is a reason to store them in the fridge.

You probably would never get to the point of cooking a bad egg. I have seen people puke (yes literally) when they cracked open a bad one. Don't think they smell so good.

I get fresh eggs from a friend that raises chickens. He collects the eggs, puts them in cartons and sells them....unwashed. When I store them at home, it's not in the fridge. I wash each egg just prior to using it. They fry better when they start from room temperature. I love mine over-easy....real easy.

They probably cook faster, but if I want them room temp, I just take them out and let them sit on the counter for a little while.
Eggs will keep well about 40 days without refrigeration. Even when I get 3 or 4 dozen at a time, they are all gone within a month....even faster when I feed some to my Doberman. She loves for me to lay a couple of hot over-easy eggs on top of her VICTOR Yukon River Canine dog food and mix it up.

However, if eggs have been refrigerated once, it's best to keep them in the fridge. When I get his eggs in the winter, I put them in the fridge.

In the cupboard........ From what I understand most Europeans don't drink it chilled. :dunno:

Heathens
Yup, just like us prior to the age of refrigeration........ and mass advertising....... :lol:

I don't know...there is just something about coming in from a hot day, all hot and sweaty and pulling out an icy beer and chugging it down in one shot....you impulsively go ....AHHhhhhhhhh

Pulling a warm beer out of the cupboard doesn't cut it
Europeans do not drink warm beer. Refrigerated beer loses its taste which can only be appreciated when the beer is not refrierated but kept in a cool larder or in an underground cellar. We call pilsner (so called from the town of Pilsen in Moravia) a lager from the German word for cellar or storeroom "gelagert". It is meant to be drunk fresh from a local brewery.
Bavaria_zpsypahsjgq.jpg

Mmmmm Yummy!

America is very big and is subject to sweltering summers. The German brewers who went to Milwaukee had no way of keeping their lager from spoiling during transport until refrigeration was introduced. Refrigerated lager had to be pumped full of carbon to give it a long shelf life and transported in refrigerated trucks. The result is somewhat better than fizzy water to most European's palates, I wager. It has to be poured from some height to release all the carbon to get any taste whatever.

As for eggs, they are best bought fresh and locally, not needing refrigeration

Most Americans do not have an underground beer cellar to keep our brews cold

We use a fridge and pop a can and swill it rather than savoring the aroma and flavor
then again the most popular American beers don't have much flavor or aroma

I'm not wanting them to cook faster. I have two issues with frying cold eggs; one is the consistency of the egg-white when it first hits the skillet, the other is that that bottom of yoke sometimes gets overcooked before the rest of the yolk gets hot. The white spreads out farther when they're room temp to start.

I find that frying eggs at a low temperature works best. I'm honing in on 190degF.

When we had chickens and got fresh eggs every morning, I did not refridgerate them. I just washed them really well, then fried them up. We only had 4 chickens..which meant 4 eggs..sometimes 5 per day. We ate them the same day.Store bought eggs, we keep cold.

Eggs will keep well about 40 days without refrigeration. Even when I get 3 or 4 dozen at a time, they are all gone within a month....even faster when I feed some to my Doberman. She loves for me to lay a couple of hot over-easy eggs on top of her VICTOR Yukon River Canine dog food and mix it up.

However, if eggs have been refrigerated once, it's best to keep them in the fridge. When I get his eggs in the winter, I put them in the fridge.

18th & 19th century solution (use unslacked lime ONLY). Supposedly the eggs will keep for years. Note; fresh laid eggs have a natural protective coating, commercial eggs are washed removing the coating and these preservation methods will not work on commercial (store bought) eggs.

“To half a bushel of water add little over a pint of unslaked lime, and as much coarse salt, and when the whole is dissolved, put in the eggs; be very particular that you do not put in one that is cracked, as it will spoil the whole; there would be plenty of water to cover them well; if the brine is too strong with lime, it will eat the shells; this of course can be easily detected; if the eggs are fresh and whole, and water of the proper strength, it is said they will keep good for years. —Kentucky Housewife, Lettice Bryan, Cincinnati [1839]”

"Another way (and a very good one) is to put some lime in a large vessel, and slack it with boiling water, till it is of the consistence of thin cream; you may allow a gallon of water to a pound of lime. When it is cold, pour it off into a large stone jar, put in the eggs, and cover the jar closely. See that the eggs are always well covered with the lime-water, and lest they should break, avoid moving the jar. If you have hens of your own keep a jar of lime-water always ready, and put in the eggs as they are brought in from the nests. Jars that hold about six quarts are the most convenient. It will be well to renew the lime-water occasionally.” —Directions for Cookery in Its Various Branches, Miss [Eliza] Leslie, Philadelphia [1849]"

4 Time Tested Techniques To Preserve Eggs (And Some 19th Century Methods!)
A video from Jas. Townsend and Sons (18th and 19th Century vendor)

There's also the Water Glass preservation (sodium silicate).

One way to tell if an egg has gone bad after storing for a long time, put the egg in water, if it sinks it's good, if it floats it's bad.

Last edited:

I've only had farm fresh eggs probably once or twice. I'm so used to just sticking them in the fridge, that it's a habit.

You probably would never get to the point of cooking a bad egg. I have seen people puke (yes literally) when they cracked open a bad one. Don't think they smell so good.

I've never had a bad one that I know of anyway.

• Thanks
Reactions: Kat

I've never had a bad one that I know of anyway.

Me either.

Eggs will keep along time in refrigeration. Do you know how old those store bought eggs are before you buy them?

One way to test an egg to know if it's good or not is to put it in a container of water.....the more it floats, the older the egg. Fresh eggs don't float.

Forum List

Back