Why do we have such an issue talking politics in public?

What many of these threads descend into says it all.

2016 election changed things, but I wouldn't say for the better. It created basically an existential civil war.

It makes sense. You don't want to talk politics to friends because some are nut jobs. People actually lose friends because of it. Not that they were REAL friends to begin with..

Nothing new .

Ever hear the old line "don't talk politics or religion ".

Nothing new .

Ever hear the old line "don't talk politics or religion ".
-------------------------------------------- Timmy the kid has it correct . ---------------------- And some advice , don't marry a lib if you are an American . Same goes for religion , don't marry a muslim if you are Christian .

So, this thought process was inspired by this article: Are Americans Afraid Of Talking About Politics?

Do you think Americans have a problem talking about politics outside of their close circles?

Secondly, do you think the 2016 election changed how open we are with our political views?

Because there is so much anger in politics now. You can literally lose friends because of who you support. It's not pleasant and there is no upside

You may like somebody but you get tired of listening to their personal political opinions at social gathering, at work, at the Bar.... Wherever.

It's boorish and ill-mannered.

Once I know where somebody stands re; politics, that's all I need to know. No need to bring it up all the time.

I had a Conservative friend that has since moved but every time I saw him I haad to listen to his bullshit about politics. It got old. Can't say I was too disappointed when he moved.

On the flip side of the coin, I might like a person who is liberal but every time he or she opens his/her mouth about politics, I like him or her less and less.

There's a time to discuss politics outside the home...... And that is when everybody is in the mood to talk about it. At the same time.

If someone in the group is uncomfortable, it's time to move on to the next subject.

Be nice to people in person.

The dimocrap dirtbags in here probably aren't dirtbags in real life.

Okay...... Yeah....... They are. But we can still be polite

It makes sense. You don't want to talk politics to friends because some are nut jobs. People actually lose friends because of it. Not that they were REAL friends to begin with..
They turn into gangstalkers. Next thing you know you are in the walking dead, not knowing who is infected and surrounded by crowds of them.

"People actually lose friends because of it."

I've never known what that is about, I mean politics is important, but there's more to both life and friendship than politics, we all have other interests, film, art, literature, music etc.

I have friends who are Liberal, I don't mean Leftist, I mean Liberal, there is a difference and we strongly disagree on nearly every political issue, but we're still friends and this is because we share other common interests that don't involve politics.

So I've always been bewildered how people can be friends but stop being friends because of differing politics.

I have a few righty Trump friends . We don't discuss politics like we do here. It's not like we are going to change each other .

New Topics

Forum List

Back