Why Do We Have Such A Big Military?

Orange_Juice

Jul 24, 2008
What's the point? No one can or wants to invade us. While the rest of the world is building for the future the United States is living its glory days past of the second world war. Time to move on

What's the point? No one can or wants to invade us. While the rest of the world is building for the future the United States is living its glory days past of the second world war. Time to move on

Actually ..... now that I think about it .... "they do not have to invade us, they are already here!"

Can I interest you in a :eek: cup of coffee :eek: you need to wake up!

How old are you! 6? :rolleyes:

You could have just said, 'I didn't know.'

That's really funny, no one can answer this very simple question. Yet our government spends more money on the military than the rest of the world combined, yet know one seems to be able to explain why.

:eusa_clap:

You could have just said, 'I didn't know.'

That's really funny, no one can answer this very simple question. Yet our government spends more money on the military than the rest of the world combined, yet know one seems to be able to explain why.

:eusa_clap:

Because we can.

Words on paper are worth only the might you have to back them up. Or hasn't history taught you anything?

Words on paper are worth only the might you have to back them up. Or hasn't history taught you anything?

What words? What do we need to back up so desperatly? Why doesn't China feel the need to have this gigantic military force?

History teaches many lessons, like wasting resources can damage your nation's ability to move forward.

I thoiught this would be an esay question for people to answer, but all I get are vague references, an insult and foolery.

Congrats! :clap2:

That is a valid question.

Our military should continue to be tailored to protect our homeland and to carry out our global responsibilities, which is whatever a sitting President chooses them to be..

The actual size of the Armed Forces may fluxuate depending on many factors, i.e. treatys, threats, technology and so on.

For certain we need a strong navy since we have seas on three sides and a long range air force to carry the battle to the enemy plus whatever operations are allowed in space, including near earth, by international agreements. The ground component, infintry, armor, artillery supported by the tactical air force cannot be left to wither because conflicts like Afganistan and Iraq are more suited to that component and if recent history is any indication will be typical of future battles.

So, whatever direction a President decides to pursue will determine the size of the military not the other way around, that is, the size of the military proscribes the actions of a US President.

There are some major players on the board that will challenge us, we can pack up our marbles and leave or we can face the challenge with a strong military and have a voice in what happens. Specifically, China, Indoneasia, India, South/Central America, Russia and Middle east.

Players and their importance can change over time.

I would lilke to go isolationist but, alas, that is no longer possible.

That is a valid question.

Our military should continue to be tailored to protect our homeland and to carry out our global responsibilities, which is whatever a sitting President chooses them to be..

The actual size of the Armed Forces may fluxuate depending on many factors, i.e. treatys, threats, technology and so on.

For certain we need a strong navy since we have seas on three sides and a long range air force to carry the battle to the enemy plus whatever operations are allowed in space, including near earth, by international agreements. The ground component, infintry, armor, artillery supported by the tactical air force cannot be left to wither because conflicts like Afganistan and Iraq are more suited to that component and if recent history is any indication will be typical of future battles.

So, whatever direction a President decides to pursue will determine the size of the military not the other way around, that is, the size of the military proscribes the actions of a US President.

There are some major players on the board that will challenge us, we can pack up our marbles and leave or we can face the challenge with a strong military and have a voice in what happens. Specifically, China, Indoneasia, India, South/Central America, Russia and Middle east.

Players and their importance can change over time.

I would lilke to go isolationist but, alas, that is no longer possible.

I'm just not buying the argument that a major trading partner like China is going to be our enemy. And Central and South America?? Come on! Russia is an aging nation of underpopulated wasteland. Indonesia is a multicultural disaster. And the Middle East is so divided, backward and dependent that it isn't a high tech threat at all.

We have a Cold War military that exists to keep the funding flowing in its own direction. It is a vested interest, period

What words? What do we need to back up so desperatly? Why doesn't China feel the need to have this gigantic military force?

History teaches many lessons, like wasting resources can damage your nation's ability to move forward.

I thoiught this would be an esay question for people to answer, but all I get are vague references, an insult and foolery.

The question is so stupid people think you're kidding. You might wanna google the size of China's Army.

*Yawn* What words? How about the US Constitution? You know, those words on that paper that give you right to ask stupid questions and make disengenuous arguments?

Yeah, those "words."

I'm just not buying the argument that a major trading partner like China is going to be our enemy. And Central and South America?? Come on! Russia is an aging nation of underpopulated wasteland. Indonesia is a multicultural disaster. And the Middle East is so divided, backward and dependent that it isn't a high tech threat at all.

We have a Cold War military that exists to keep the funding flowing in its own direction. It is a vested interest, period

Can China be an enemy, it already is and has been working diligently to become a "super power" and all that it signifies. The trade you mention is mostly one way, them to us. They hold most of our IOU's and are developing a space capability. Once their hardware objectives are achieved then they will call the terms by which we will operate on the world stage.

Consider the Taiwan dilemma, the main reason China hasn't scooped that little island up is our powerful naval presence in the pacific. They will achieve parity or superiority soon and then they will feel free to act.

I did say treaty's and international agreements impact our military size. The Monroe doctrine, the defense of Israel proclamations and treaties with several important Arab nations all require a certain level of military size and capability.

I see you are very biased against the military industrial complex. President Eisenhower warned about that and it should remain a concern for congress.
I think that you are underestimating our potential and actual adversaries.

Do you trust China, Russia, Indonesia, Certain oil rich South American and Middle east countries to the point that America should reduce it's military to a defense of the homeland only?

Last edited:

Our military and our economy are neccessary for the US to exist. You may not feel good about that but it's true. You are dependent on both of them to include the oil industry.

Either you are a troll, really immature, or niave. Perhaps all three.

The "rest of the world's" vision for the future is exactly why the US has a military. Take a look at Dafur, the Middle East, Indonesia, Somalia, Ethiopia, etc. If that is the "rest of the world's" future, I'll take the military thanks anyway.

Forum List

Back