Why do we have electoral colleges???

GHook93

Aristotle
Apr 22, 2007
Chicago
They are so fucking stupid and meaningless!!! They corrupt the system and make candidates care about only a few so called battle ground states. No one wants to live in OH, but every 4 years the state gets treated like a superstar.

I mean they are calling this Obama win a landslide victory when in fact he received 51% (60mil) to Romney's 49% (57 mil) of the popular vote!!! Every other election we have is based on popular vote so why not this one!

Either do one of two things:
(1) Go strictly by popular votes!
(2) Go by voting district. Take CA for example. It has 53 voting districts. Many of those voting districts didn't vote for Obama, Obama received 100% of the state!
That exact SAME argument can be made for TX and Romney!

I mean I didn't see ONE Romney or Obama ad in IL! The reason the candidates could careless about IL, since it's blue. However, there were many districts of the state that Romney one. Imagine if went district by district? The candidates would have to care about the state! Why should it come down to IW, OH, FL, NC, VA. CO & NH? It's BULLSHIT!

For whatever reason we have it, the net effect is that the politicians must appeal to the middle of the nation to win National election.

Else, shitbags such as Obama just have Springsteen concerts in major metros with voting booths outside of them.

It forces politicians at a National level to pay attention to the small States instead of just catering to the population centers of L.A. and N.Y..

Because our founding fathers didn't want us to be a complete democracy.

We have a democratic system of politics. We have a full democracy that way. You meant direct democracy.

Our system of government is a representative one and we are a Republic. It all sounds confusing, but it really isn't.

We Americans often confuse process with the system too, and this has people damning a system that works fine. The process is corrupted, but hey...the human element does it every time

Each branch is chosen in a different way for a purpose... a balance of power...

Having the electoral college choosing the president ensures that it is not popular vote like with the legislative branch... this ensures that even the smallest states (you know, those things that actually grant the federal government its power thru a little thing called the constitution) have their voices heard instead of being drowned out by the larger states and huge population centers... IT MAKES THE STATES RELEVANT

They are so fucking stupid and meaningless!!! They corrupt the system and make candidates care about only a few so called battle ground states. No one wants to live in OH, but every 4 years the state gets treated like a superstar.

I mean they are calling this Obama win a landslide victory when in fact he received 51% (60mil) to Romney's 49% (57 mil) of the popular vote!!! Every other election we have is based on popular vote so why not this one!

(2) Go by voting district. Take CA for example. It has 53 voting districts. Many of those voting districts didn't vote for Obama, Obama received 100% of the state!

I mean I didn't see ONE Romney or Obama ad in IL! The reason the candidates could careless about IL, since it's blue. However, there were many districts of the state that Romney one. Imagine if went district by district? The candidates would have to care about the state! Why should it come down to IW, OH, FL, NC, VA. CO & NH? It's BULLSHIT!

Assigning EC votes proportionally like 2 states currently do. Undermines the entire purpose of the EC.

the EC gets a bad rap, and it does not deserve it. It's sound system that has served us well for a very long time.

Each branch is chosen in a different way for a purpose... a balance of power...

Having the electoral college choosing the president ensures that it is not popular vote like with the legislative branch... this ensures that even the smallest states (you know, those things that actually grant the federal government its power thru a little thing called the constitution) have their voices heard instead of being drowned out by the larger states and huge population centers... IT MAKES THE STATES RELEVANT

It isn't just about states and their sizes or even the ideological centers in them.

Every state has it's own interests. Imagine coastal city folks having all the say about lands in the center? What about the interests of each state's economies?

It is about much moire than most silly states right nincompoops posit. If they got their acts together they'd win over more people to their cause

Because the States were supposed to select the President, not the rabble. Unfortunately, we now entrust this decision to people who don't even know who their Representative and Senators are.

For whatever reason we have it, the net effect is that the politicians must appeal to the middle of the nation to win National election.

Else, shitbags such as Obama just have Springsteen concerts in major metros with voting booths outside of them.

But that is the thing, they only have to appeal and fight for a few battle-ground states and not the entire nation as a whole!

:lol:

I was saying to some people on Election Night that it would not be long before the usual Orwellian magic set in with "conservatives" and they would be challenging the electoral college they have always defended.

For a while, Romney was ahead in the popular vote, but Obama was ahead by 100 electoral votes, so it was an easy guess the more weak-minded would instantly flip-flop.

"We have always been at war with Eastasia."

Just a reminder: Al Gore won the popular vote in 2000.

Last edited:
How Democratic is it that a Dem candidate automatically get's 55 EV from California? Not very! And that kind of shit diminishes turnout.

And states like Colorado, Ohio, Virginia, Florida and Pennslyvania get most of the attention from candidates. Ohio, Florida and Penn have high populations and many urban areas, and many of them saw Romney and Obama visit multiple times. I thought the EC was suppose to prevent that? Oopsie.

Because it's in the Constitution you folks say isn't a living Document.

No it's not douche bag!

You can't be this thick..or maybe you can..

Article. II.

Section. 1.

The executive Power shall be vested in a President of the United States of America. He shall hold his Office during the Term of four Years, and, together with the Vice President, chosen for the same Term, be elected, as follows:

Each State shall appoint, in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct, a Number of Electors, equal to the whole Number of Senators and Representatives to which the State may be entitled in the Congress: but no Senator or Representative, or Person holding an Office of Trust or Profit under the United States, shall be appointed an Elector.

The Electors shall meet in their respective States, and vote by Ballot for two Persons, of whom one at least shall not be an Inhabitant of the same State with themselves. And they shall make a List of all the Persons voted for, and of the Number of Votes for each; which List they shall sign and certify, and transmit sealed to the Seat of the Government of the United States, directed to the President of the Senate. The President of the Senate shall, in the Presence of the Senate and House of Representatives, open all the Certificates, and the Votes shall then be counted. The Person having the greatest Number of Votes shall be the President, if such Number be a Majority of the whole Number of Electors appointed; and if there be more than one who have such Majority, and have an equal Number of Votes, then the House of Representatives shall immediately chuse by Ballot one of them for President; and if no Person have a Majority, then from the five highest on the List the said House shall in like Manner chuse the President. But in chusing the President, the Votes shall be taken by States, the Representation from each State having one Vote; A quorum for this purpose shall consist of a Member or Members from two thirds of the States, and a Majority of all the States shall be necessary to a Choice. In every Case, after the Choice of the President, the Person having the greatest Number of Votes of the Electors shall be the Vice President. But if there should remain two or more who have equal Votes, the Senate shall chuse from them by Ballot the Vice President.

How Democratic is it that a Dem candidate automatically get's 55 EV from California? Not very! And that kind of shit diminishes turnout.

And states like Colorado, Ohio, Virginia, Florida and Pennslyvania get most of the attention from candidates. Ohio, Florida and Penn have high populations and many urban areas, and many of them saw Romney and Obama visit multiple times. I thought the EC was suppose to prevent that? Oopsie.

I personally think the EC should be done away with..and we go with the popular vote on the President.

States have enough representation via congress.

Forum List

Back