Why Do We Have Different Skin Colors

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
This is a great article to share with your kids. Understanding something like this can go a long, long way to reducing racism.

map_of_skin_color_distribution.gif

In simple terms it all comes down to where are ancestors are from and how their bodies used melanin and the amount of vitamin D soaked up from sunshine.

Pass this on to your kids from @ Does Everyone Have Melanin? How Does Melanin Affect Skin Color?

What if my arms and face look exactly like the color depicted in category 18-20, my legs, back and belly look exactly like the color depicted as 1-12, but I have lots of various little dots all over the place that look just like 30+ ?

You didn't know that? I learned that all the way back in high school anatomy.

Same thing with why certain people from different areas have different eye shapes. The narrower they are, the more sunlight they were seeing, from stuff like snow to being on the water a lot in the Pacific.

What if my arms and face look exactly like the color depicted in category 18-20, my legs, back and belly look exactly like the color depicted as 1-12, but I have lots of various little dots all over the place that look just like 30+ ?

It means that you are fair skinned with freckles and spend a bit of time in the sun wearing a tshirt.

Saw "Predator" when it first opened. In one scene in the film, there are 4-5 guys hung upside down up in a tree. They have all been completely skinned.

I said pretty loudly "Hey, which one's the black guy?" The whole place cracked up.

Point made.

Uncle Ferd says it's `cause...

... different colored alien species...

... populated the planet...

... in ancient times.

I remember back in grade school... in the mid 80's. We had a presentation where some guy came in and explained it that it was because we were all like cookies made by God, and some of us were just left in the oven longer than others. :coffee:

The answer is race and it's adaptation.

It's really a stupid question given that we are better informed in this day and age.

Yep, and if anyone wants to have it explained to them in a fairly decent manner, all they have to do is catch a show on National Geographic called "The Human Family Tree".

Amazing stuff.

'
Human beings have a very narrow genetic base compared to many other species.

The scientists studying the history of human genetics tell us that our species went almost extinct about 70,000 years ago (probably due to the explosion of a super-volcano in Indonesia), and everyone in the world today is descended from some thousands of individuals surviving that catastrophe.

Such genetic differences as exist are, in the main, literally "skin-deep" -- differences that permitted people to survive in the various climates they subsequently moved into.

Take the average genetic differences among people living in any city (say, Berlin), call that 100. Then take the genetic differences between the most diverse human beings (often considered to be the Mayans and the Kalahari Bushmen). That will add only one-half to the original 100. We are all pretty much alike under our skins.

'
Human beings have a very narrow genetic base compared to many other species.

The scientists studying the history of human genetics tell us that our species went almost extinct about 70,000 years ago (probably due to the explosion of a super-volcano in Indonesia), and everyone in the world today is descended from some thousands of individuals surviving that catastrophe.

Such genetic differences as exist are, in the main, literally "skin-deep" -- differences that permitted people to survive in the various climates they subsequently moved into.

Take the average genetic differences among people living in any city (say, Berlin), call that 100. Then take the genetic differences between the most diverse human beings (often considered to be the Mayans and the Kalahari Bushmen). That will add only one-half to the original 100. We are all pretty much alike under our skins.
We are all humans. That we are greatly alike is obvious. Some people site genetic differences, All humans have the same form more or less. This is all in our genetic code, therefore the racial differences between us are a fraction of a percent. But that fraction of a percent dictates whether we are intelligent, dumb as hell, fast or slow, tall or short and so on. These are all influenced to various degrees from out race.

Thus we come full circle.

To say that we are largely similar is obvious. To say there cannot be difference because of race is ridiculous, and ridiculously PC.

I remember back in grade school... in the mid 80's. We had a presentation where some guy came in and explained it that it was because we were all like cookies made by God, and some of us were just left in the oven longer than others. :coffee:

Actually, that's an American Indian myth from either the Hopi or Navajo. Only in the myth, it was Coyote's fault because he continually told CreaterSpirit when they were ready to remove.

It's really a stupid question given that we are better informed in this day and age.

Are you certain? Have we gotten to the point where PC might be presenting this differently?

I posted it because I thought it might be good for pre-schoolers and day care types to know.

Are you certain? Have we gotten to the point where PC might be presenting this differently?

I posted it because I thought it might be good for pre-schoolers and day care types to know.
PC does not present such things as anything to do with race is considered superficial.

This is a great article to share with your kids. Understanding something like this can go a long, long way to reducing racism.

map_of_skin_color_distribution.gif

In simple terms it all comes down to where are ancestors are from and how their bodies used melanin and the amount of vitamin D soaked up from sunshine.

Pass this on to your kids from @ Does Everyone Have Melanin? How Does Melanin Affect Skin Color?
The latest theory is that humankind started out black and while migrating north eventually became white.

When I was a kid they taught that humankind started out white and while migrating south eventually became black.

Pick your myth.

'
There are two big mistakes you can make about people: one, is to think that they are all the same; the other, is to think that they are different.

If it just boils down to some scientific reason why races have different skin colors, then why are some races more intelligent than others?

'
There are two big mistakes you can make about people: one, is to think that they are all the same; the other, is to think that they are different.
If it just boils down to some scientific reason why races have different skin colors, then why are some races more intelligent than others?
Because they aren't --- as has been proven over and over by scientific studies --- proper scientific studies, not the hare-brained pseudo-science which the scientific illiterates here seem to like so much.

New Guinea natives a couple of generations removed from the Stone Age have become PhDs in nuclear physics. Case closed.

Forum List

Back