Why do veterans support Romney?

Claiming Bush II served is the funniest one yet; he must have protected the liquor stores in Texas & 'Bama from Vietcong attack, while McCain lounged in the vacation spot known as Vietnam; that is why Vichy Americans picked Bush to run in 2000. Vichy Americans claimed neither Gore nor Kerry served, now its "BUSH II served". Surrealistic. :lol:

Where did you serve, nutsack?

Actually, military families contribute to service. I did not serve, father was career Navy, sister, Army for several years, and is a disabled Vet.

Actually, military families contribute to service. I did not serve, father was career Navy, sister, Army for several years, and is a disabled Vet.

Then shut your fucking mouth regarding Bush's service.
At least he took an oath to defend his country, which is more than you ever did.

Because there are more issues than just military ones ... and since the other person running in this election doesn't have a clue about anything military ... it cancels out. I do have to admit ... I'm not a fan of a person who never wore a uniform for a least a small amount of time being commander and chief of this country. That really hasn't happened since the first Bush who was a war hero. It also can't be the only criteria for electing someone. I just kinda of wish it was A criteria.

Obama doesn't have a clue about anything military? Really? Then wanna explain why he's been more effective than Jr. ever thought about being concerning the Taliban?

Besides that, Obama was only a kid when 'Nam was going on, Romney was eligible yet chose to duck out.

Maybe Obama just knows more about how the Taliban does things than Bush did? He's just about as radical as they are, he studied Islam as a kid, and he's friends with terrorists...so he probably would be more effective.

And if Obama is so patriotic...why didn't HE join the military? Even for a couple years? I don't give a crap what Romney did or didn't do, he's still going to make a better president than Obama. I actually believe it should be a criteria for president that they have SOME military experience...but neither do and there's nothing that can change that.

Obama's a fraud

anthem.jpg

Maybe Obama just knows more about how the Taliban does things than Bush did? He's just about as radical as they are, he studied Islam as a kid, and he's friends with terrorists...so he probably would be more effective.

And if Obama is so patriotic...why didn't HE join the military? Even for a couple years? I don't give a crap what Romney did or didn't do, he's still going to make a better president than Obama. I actually believe it should be a criteria for president that they have SOME military experience...but neither do and there's nothing that can change that.

i guess it would help.....but i do think that whoever is the Sec. of Defense should be a retired Adm. or Gen......

i guess it would help.....but i do think that whoever is the Sec. of Defense should be a retired Adm. or Gen......

I like that idea. Political appointees and career bureaucrats do not always make the best cabinet members.

Veterans always tend to trend Republican. They tend to me more security oriented, and the Democrats never played to that issue.

I agree.

My Brother and cousin and several friends are Nam vets and they would all eat a bullet before they would vote for Barry.

None of them hold his non military status against him. In fact they laugh to think of Barry surviving in the military. Your either military minded or your not. They just don't care for his lefty bs.

Do all military men lean right??

During the height of the Vietnam War, Romney avoided military service by seeking and receiving four military draft deferments, some for university study and others for serving as a “minister of religion” in France.

But during his political career, Romney has flip-flopped on whether he actually wanted to serve in Vietnam. In 2007, Romney — a supporter of the war in Vietnam during the late-1960s — said he had wished he had served:

“I longed in many respects to actually be in Vietnam and be representing our country there, and in some ways it was frustrating not to feel like I was there as part of the troops that were fighting in Vietnam.”

But the AP notes that this isn’t what Romney said back in 1994 during his campaign to represent Massachusetts in the U.S. Senate:

But the frustration he recalled in 2007 does not match a sentiment he shared as a Massachusetts Senate candidate in 1994, when he told The Boston Herald, “I was not planning on signing up for the military.”

“It was not my desire to go off and serve in Vietnam, but nor did I take any actions to remove myself from the pool of young men who were eligible for the draft,” Romney told the newspaper.

But in seeking 4 deferments, Romney did in fact take actions to remove himself from the draft. In 1970, Romney eventually became eligible but by that point, the United States had begun reducing the number of troops in Vietnam and as the AP reports, “Romney’s relatively high lottery number — 300 out of 365 — was not called.”

While Romney’s lack of military service record raises questions (President Obama also did not serve in the military but was not of draft-age at the time of the Vietnam War), a recent Gallup poll found that veterans favor Romney over Obama 58 percent to 34 percent.

“Greatness in a people, I believe, is measured by the extent to which they will give themselves to something bigger than themselves,” Romney said in a Memorial Day speech last week in San Diego.

Did Mitt Romney 'Long' To Serve In Vietnam? | ThinkProgress

He supported the Vietnam war, then went and got 4 deferments so that he wouldn't have to go.

He said he had no desire to serve in Vietnam back in '94 and did nothing to remove himself from the draft pool, yet he got 4 deferments.

He then says later (while running for president) that he wishes he'd been there? This should be an insult to any military member who has served this country during conflict.

Why do veterans support Romney? When he was eligible to serve this country, he bailed out of it. What kind of CIC would he be? Because unlike Obama, he actually was eligible, Obama was only a kid.

....And, how would Mitt Romney deal with...

SYRIA??!!!!

:eusa_eh:

During the height of the Vietnam War, Romney avoided military service by seeking and receiving four military draft deferments, some for university study and others for serving as a “minister of religion” in France.

But during his political career, Romney has flip-flopped on whether he actually wanted to serve in Vietnam. In 2007, Romney — a supporter of the war in Vietnam during the late-1960s — said he had wished he had served:

“I longed in many respects to actually be in Vietnam and be representing our country there, and in some ways it was frustrating not to feel like I was there as part of the troops that were fighting in Vietnam.”

But the AP notes that this isn’t what Romney said back in 1994 during his campaign to represent Massachusetts in the U.S. Senate:

But the frustration he recalled in 2007 does not match a sentiment he shared as a Massachusetts Senate candidate in 1994, when he told The Boston Herald, “I was not planning on signing up for the military.”

“It was not my desire to go off and serve in Vietnam, but nor did I take any actions to remove myself from the pool of young men who were eligible for the draft,” Romney told the newspaper.

But in seeking 4 deferments, Romney did in fact take actions to remove himself from the draft. In 1970, Romney eventually became eligible but by that point, the United States had begun reducing the number of troops in Vietnam and as the AP reports, “Romney’s relatively high lottery number — 300 out of 365 — was not called.”

While Romney’s lack of military service record raises questions (President Obama also did not serve in the military but was not of draft-age at the time of the Vietnam War), a recent Gallup poll found that veterans favor Romney over Obama 58 percent to 34 percent.

“Greatness in a people, I believe, is measured by the extent to which they will give themselves to something bigger than themselves,” Romney said in a Memorial Day speech last week in San Diego.

Did Mitt Romney 'Long' To Serve In Vietnam? | ThinkProgress

He supported the Vietnam war, then went and got 4 deferments so that he wouldn't have to go.

He said he had no desire to serve in Vietnam back in '94 and did nothing to remove himself from the draft pool, yet he got 4 deferments.

He then says later (while running for president) that he wishes he'd been there? This should be an insult to any military member who has served this country during conflict.

Why do veterans support Romney? When he was eligible to serve this country, he bailed out of it. What kind of CIC would he be? Because unlike Obama, he actually was eligible, Obama was only a kid.
It doesn't take a crystal ball to see why Veterans don't support Obama. Obama has never given the Military any support. Obama has even suggested cutting medical funds for our wounded soldiers, and you expect them to like Obama?????c'mon. The Military also stands by the oaths they took, and Obama doesn't. The Military also stands by the constitution, and Obama doesn't. I could go on and on, but I will say, that with knowledge, I do know the MIlitary does not like Obama and he will not get their votes.

Mitt Romney took no less than 4 deferments while SUPPORTING the Viet Nam war.

Obama has never given the military support? Really? Then why is he offering businesses tax cuts if they hire veterans? Why is it that he's consistently tried to get veterans back to work and to provide for them?

And................exactly where (and provide truthful links) has Obama ever violated the Constitution? Those are simply right wing talking points and tweets.

A LOT of military vets are RW loudmouth racist tools, like warrior. Nobody ever said the military are smarter politically. No I didn't serve, was against Vietnam. I thank all servicemen- doesn't make them anything better. Lots join because they can't get a job or like the benefits. Maybe having to go to war makes some ofthem bitter angry white men= Pub dupes/haters....

Last edited:
A LOT of military vets are RW loudmouth racist tools, like warrior. Nobody ever said the military are smarter politically. No I didn't serve, was against Vietnam. I thank all servicemen- doesn't make them anything better. Lots join because they can't get a job or like the benefits. Maybe having to go to war makes some ofthem bitter angry white men= Pub dupes/haters....
stay out of this Frankie.....you called our guys in Nam....THUGS.....and dont give me that BULLSHIT about how you meant Ky and Co.......you said OUR GUYS....they are not OUR GUYS.....you fucking Dem Dupe/hater.....

IMO, The reason Veteran's and the Military are predominantly Right is because they aren't stupid, and they know that some on the Left make a concerted effort to railroad their funding at every turn. Some Leftist's who pretend to support them, are the same people who loath them behind closed doors. When they are in harm's way they do NOT want to rely on a weapon system that is substandard, simply because it was cheaper. Their job is to kick our Nation's enemies ass, and return home safe -and in doing so it keeps our Nation safe. Not allowing them to do their job the most effectively they can, by cost cutting measures based solely on disdain for the job they do is disgraceful. And yes I did serve.

I think lately they retire at 45 and spend WAYYYY too much time listening to Fox and Rush, etc. Seems to be as addictive as it is misleading... Dems are at least as good as Pubs on their benefits and care.

Last edited:
Veterans always tend to trend Republican. They tend to me more security oriented, and the Democrats never played to that issue.

I agree.

My Brother and cousin and several friends are Nam vets and they would all eat a bullet before they would vote for Barry.

None of them hold his non military status against him. In fact they laugh to think of Barry surviving in the military. Your either military minded or your not. They just don't care for his lefty bs.

Do all military men lean right??

My son says the same...he's a Sgt in the Army (PsyOps)...he said all the guys in his unit hate Obama...some of them had even voted for him in 2008! Lol!

Forum List

Back