Why do veterans support Romney?

If Romney really dodged the draft democrats should love him, so what's the problem?

That's an interesitng point. Isnt it interesting how they aren't arguing any reasons to vote for Obama? They are trying to argue to persuade the Republican base to turn against Romney.

Neither of those "points" are interesting. Nor are they accurate.

On par for you.

If Romney really dodged the draft democrats should love him, so what's the problem?

That's an interesitng point. Isnt it interesting how they aren't arguing any reasons to vote for Obama? They are trying to argue to persuade the Republican base to turn against Romney.

On par for you.

Claiming Bush II served is the funniest one yet; he must have protected the liquor stores in Texas & 'Bama from Vietcong attack, while McCain lounged in the vacation spot known as Vietnam; that is why Vichy Americans picked Bush to run in 2000. Vichy Americans claimed neither Gore nor Kerry served, now its "BUSH II served". Surrealistic. :lol:

On par for you.

Claiming Bush II served is the funniest one yet; he must have protected the liquor stores in Texas & 'Bama from Vietcong attack, while McCain lounged in the vacation spot known as Vietnam; that is why Vichy Americans picked Bush to run in 2000. Vichy Americans claimed neither Gore nor Kerry served, now its "BUSH II served". Surrealistic. :lol:

Anyone mentioned Joe Biden's service?

Bin Laden was a gift. Predator strikes are a way to stay relatively clean in a dirty business. Why capture and interrogate when you can kill them. The POTUS considers the US Military a necessary inconvenience.

Mitt's not my main man but he's better than the alternative.

We have had some fine Presidents who were Vets.

And some horrible Presidents who were vets.

We also have had some fine Presidents who weren't vets.

And some horrible Presidents who weren't vets.

On par for you.

I disagree. There is a reason you guys are attacking Romney instead of arguing for Obama. It's because you can't. His record and character are horrible.

On par for you.

So what your saying is anyone serving in the National Guard really isnt serving?

Do you have the guts to tell that to any of the families of a NG member who lost their son?

On par for you.

I disagree. There is a reason you guys are attacking Romney instead of arguing for Obama. It's because you can't. His record and character are horrible.

That is inaccurate. We have discussed Obama's positives in great detail here. have you missed all of those threads and posts? Or.......are you being dishonest?

On par for you.

Biden did not serve. And Romney went on a mission for his church, that was expected of young men his age; unless he is much different than the many LDS men I have known on missions, he lived like a pauper and took verbal abuse at times, at some risk of safety. In my area many on LDS missions ride bikes & walk miles each day. I will not downgrade Romney for not serving in the military.

During the height of the Vietnam War, Romney avoided military service by seeking and receiving four military draft deferments, some for university study and others for serving as a “minister of religion” in France.

But during his political career, Romney has flip-flopped on whether he actually wanted to serve in Vietnam. In 2007, Romney — a supporter of the war in Vietnam during the late-1960s — said he had wished he had served:

“I longed in many respects to actually be in Vietnam and be representing our country there, and in some ways it was frustrating not to feel like I was there as part of the troops that were fighting in Vietnam.”

But the AP notes that this isn’t what Romney said back in 1994 during his campaign to represent Massachusetts in the U.S. Senate:

But the frustration he recalled in 2007 does not match a sentiment he shared as a Massachusetts Senate candidate in 1994, when he told The Boston Herald, “I was not planning on signing up for the military.”

“It was not my desire to go off and serve in Vietnam, but nor did I take any actions to remove myself from the pool of young men who were eligible for the draft,” Romney told the newspaper.

But in seeking 4 deferments, Romney did in fact take actions to remove himself from the draft. In 1970, Romney eventually became eligible but by that point, the United States had begun reducing the number of troops in Vietnam and as the AP reports, “Romney’s relatively high lottery number — 300 out of 365 — was not called.”

While Romney’s lack of military service record raises questions (President Obama also did not serve in the military but was not of draft-age at the time of the Vietnam War), a recent Gallup poll found that veterans favor Romney over Obama 58 percent to 34 percent.

“Greatness in a people, I believe, is measured by the extent to which they will give themselves to something bigger than themselves,” Romney said in a Memorial Day speech last week in San Diego.

Did Mitt Romney 'Long' To Serve In Vietnam? | ThinkProgress

He supported the Vietnam war, then went and got 4 deferments so that he wouldn't have to go.

He said he had no desire to serve in Vietnam back in '94 and did nothing to remove himself from the draft pool, yet he got 4 deferments.

He then says later (while running for president) that he wishes he'd been there? This should be an insult to any military member who has served this country during conflict.

Why do veterans support Romney? When he was eligible to serve this country, he bailed out of it. What kind of CIC would he be? Because unlike Obama, he actually was eligible, Obama was only a kid.

He even marched, carrying a pro-Vietnam sign. So yeah, he was all ready to send others while he hid out in Paris.

Mitt in 94
“It was not my desire to go off and serve in Vietnam, but nor did I take any actions to remove myself from the pool of young men who were eligible for the draft,” Romney told the newspaper.
Mitt in 07
“I longed in many respects to actually be in Vietnam and be representing our country there, and in some ways it was frustrating not to feel like I was there as part of the troops that were fighting in Vietnam.”

Do vet's support him?

Why would they? He certainly does not support them. Never has.

But then, he has never supported Americans. That's why he invests his money in foreign companies and banks.

Biden did not serve. And Romney went on a mission for his church, that was expected of young men his age; unless he is much different than the many LDS men I have known on missions, he lived like a pauper and took verbal abuse at times, at some risk of safety. In my area many on LDS missions ride bikes & walk miles each day. I will not downgrade Romney for not serving in the military.

Was Biden photographed carrying a pro-Vietnam sign? Did he get repeated deferments?

There were many young men who got deferments by serving in other ways - usually in hospitals. They were called Conscientious Objectors and they were ostracized by people like Mitt.

If you have seen the photos of Mitt in Paris, he most certainly did not live like a pauper.

I don't fault him for not serving in the military but I do fault him for being a hypocrite and a liar.

Was Biden photographed carrying a pro-Vietnam sign? Did he get repeated deferments?

There were many young men who got deferments by serving in other ways - usually in hospitals. They were called Conscientious Objectors and they were ostracized by people like Mitt.

If you have seen the photos of Mitt in Paris, he most certainly did not live like a pauper.

I don't fault him for not serving in the military but I do fault him for being a hypocrite and a liar.

So being a pussy who is against the war is better then being a pussy who is for the war, is what you are saying ... am I right?

On par for you.

So what your saying is anyone serving in the National Guard really isnt serving?

Do you have the guts to tell that to any of the families of a NG member who lost their son?

If they served in combat, of course it is service. During the Vietnam war however, being in the NG was a way to avoid the draft; notice Bush didn't join until AFTER he was rejected by a Texas law school.

If they served in combat, of course it is service. During the Vietnam war however, being in the NG was a way to avoid the draft; notice Bush didn't join until AFTER he was rejected by a Texas law school.

wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ... and Obama couldn't even serve when there wasn't a war. No respect from me if that's the standard.

I have seen photos of Romney in France. LDS missionaries dress modestly, but in very business like clothes. They are clean, and well groomed. They may dine at restaurants with members of the church, but I do NOT know of ANY LDS missionary that hangs out at bars, or scouts for women. They are people to be respected.

*I must be a moderate, both left & right attack in the same thread. :lol:

I have seen photos of Romney in France. LDS missionaries dress modestly, but in very business like clothes. They are clean, and well groomed. They may dine at restaurants with members of the church, but I do NOT know of ANY LDS missionary that hangs out at bars, or scouts for women. They are people to be respected.

*I must be a moderate, both left & right attack in the same thread. :lol:

You didn't comment on my last post.

Where did you serve, nutsack?

But he served his mission in Nantes and Bordeaux.... not Paris. Go figure.

wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ... and Obama couldn't even serve when there wasn't a war. No respect from me if that's the standard.

I have no lack of respect due to Obama's -0- military experience, but will not hold it against Romney either.

Forum List

Back