Why do veterans support Romney?

ABikerSailor

Diamond Member
Aug 26, 2008
Newberry, SC
During the height of the Vietnam War, Romney avoided military service by seeking and receiving four military draft deferments, some for university study and others for serving as a “minister of religion” in France.

But during his political career, Romney has flip-flopped on whether he actually wanted to serve in Vietnam. In 2007, Romney — a supporter of the war in Vietnam during the late-1960s — said he had wished he had served:

“I longed in many respects to actually be in Vietnam and be representing our country there, and in some ways it was frustrating not to feel like I was there as part of the troops that were fighting in Vietnam.”

But the AP notes that this isn’t what Romney said back in 1994 during his campaign to represent Massachusetts in the U.S. Senate:

But the frustration he recalled in 2007 does not match a sentiment he shared as a Massachusetts Senate candidate in 1994, when he told The Boston Herald, “I was not planning on signing up for the military.”

“It was not my desire to go off and serve in Vietnam, but nor did I take any actions to remove myself from the pool of young men who were eligible for the draft,” Romney told the newspaper.

But in seeking 4 deferments, Romney did in fact take actions to remove himself from the draft. In 1970, Romney eventually became eligible but by that point, the United States had begun reducing the number of troops in Vietnam and as the AP reports, “Romney’s relatively high lottery number — 300 out of 365 — was not called.”

While Romney’s lack of military service record raises questions (President Obama also did not serve in the military but was not of draft-age at the time of the Vietnam War), a recent Gallup poll found that veterans favor Romney over Obama 58 percent to 34 percent.

“Greatness in a people, I believe, is measured by the extent to which they will give themselves to something bigger than themselves,” Romney said in a Memorial Day speech last week in San Diego.

Did Mitt Romney 'Long' To Serve In Vietnam? | ThinkProgress

He supported the Vietnam war, then went and got 4 deferments so that he wouldn't have to go.

He said he had no desire to serve in Vietnam back in '94 and did nothing to remove himself from the draft pool, yet he got 4 deferments.

He then says later (while running for president) that he wishes he'd been there? This should be an insult to any military member who has served this country during conflict.

Why do veterans support Romney? When he was eligible to serve this country, he bailed out of it. What kind of CIC would he be? Because unlike Obama, he actually was eligible, Obama was only a kid.

Here is a predictable response.... but here goes.

The same way you guys supported Clinton.

I mean ABS, what other choice do I, a conservative, have right now? Obama???

Yeah right :eusa_hand:

What I want to know is how YOU support Obama... a man who is trying to GUT the military and by all intents purposes, despises the military.

These are the same libs that applauded that piece of shit known as John Kerry and besmirched John McCain and David Petraeus.

They have zero crediility...

Since Bill Clinton, this is a non-issue.

You don't get to have your cake and eat it too.

Anybody but obama and the wacked out left.

What I want to know is how YOU support Obama... a man who is trying to GUT the military and by all intents purposes, despises the military.

Really? Got proof that he despises the military? Because from what I've seen on the news, as well as what I've heard from some active duty relatives, they feel better under Obama than they did under Jr.

I mean............he got not one, but FOUR deferments during Vietnam, and towards the end of the war quit applying for them because there was a drawdown and his number was in the 300's out of 350, meaning very little chance of being called up.

Then, he says he's glad he didn't serve in '94 when interviewed about it, but then when he starts up his political career he says he wishes he'd been over there?

That's an insult to every veteran who DID serve over there.

Because there are more issues than just military ones ... and since the other person running in this election doesn't have a clue about anything military ... it cancels out. I do have to admit ... I'm not a fan of a person who never wore a uniform for a least a small amount of time being commander and chief of this country. That really hasn't happened since the first Bush who was a war hero. It also can't be the only criteria for electing someone. I just kinda of wish it was A criteria.

Because there are more issues than just military ones ... and since the other person running in this election doesn't have a clue about anything military ... it cancels out. I do have to admit ... I'm not a fan of a person who never wore a uniform for a least a small amount of time being commander and chief of this country. That really hasn't happened since the first Bush who was a war hero. It also can't be the only criteria for electing someone. I just kinda of wish it was A criteria.

Obama doesn't have a clue about anything military? Really? Then wanna explain why he's been more effective than Jr. ever thought about being concerning the Taliban?

Besides that, Obama was only a kid when 'Nam was going on, Romney was eligible yet chose to duck out.

During the height of the Vietnam War, Romney avoided military service by seeking and receiving four military draft deferments, some for university study and others for serving as a “minister of religion” in France.

But during his political career, Romney has flip-flopped on whether he actually wanted to serve in Vietnam. In 2007, Romney — a supporter of the war in Vietnam during the late-1960s — said he had wished he had served:

“I longed in many respects to actually be in Vietnam and be representing our country there, and in some ways it was frustrating not to feel like I was there as part of the troops that were fighting in Vietnam.”

But the AP notes that this isn’t what Romney said back in 1994 during his campaign to represent Massachusetts in the U.S. Senate:

But the frustration he recalled in 2007 does not match a sentiment he shared as a Massachusetts Senate candidate in 1994, when he told The Boston Herald, “I was not planning on signing up for the military.”

“It was not my desire to go off and serve in Vietnam, but nor did I take any actions to remove myself from the pool of young men who were eligible for the draft,” Romney told the newspaper.

But in seeking 4 deferments, Romney did in fact take actions to remove himself from the draft. In 1970, Romney eventually became eligible but by that point, the United States had begun reducing the number of troops in Vietnam and as the AP reports, “Romney’s relatively high lottery number — 300 out of 365 — was not called.”

While Romney’s lack of military service record raises questions (President Obama also did not serve in the military but was not of draft-age at the time of the Vietnam War), a recent Gallup poll found that veterans favor Romney over Obama 58 percent to 34 percent.

“Greatness in a people, I believe, is measured by the extent to which they will give themselves to something bigger than themselves,” Romney said in a Memorial Day speech last week in San Diego.

He supported the Vietnam war, then went and got 4 deferments so that he wouldn't have to go.

He said he had no desire to serve in Vietnam back in '94 and did nothing to remove himself from the draft pool, yet he got 4 deferments.

He then says later (while running for president) that he wishes he'd been there? This should be an insult to any military member who has served this country during conflict.

Why do veterans support Romney? When he was eligible to serve this country, he bailed out of it. What kind of CIC would he be? Because unlike Obama, he actually was eligible, Obama was only a kid.
Your hero the criminal clinton did worse. Go away.

Obama doesn't have a clue about anything military? Really? Then wanna explain why he's been more effective than Jr. ever thought about being concerning the Taliban?

Besides that, Obama was only a kid when 'Nam was going on, Romney was eligible yet chose to duck out.

You know you can VOLUNTEER for the military? How can he have been more effective than Jr. when neither of them put boots to the ground? If you think its because of policy then you are mistaken because Obama has done nothing but follow "Jr's" policies. Pry cause he doesn't know what he is doing.

Look at the alternative, asswipe.

Do Veterans support Obama?

I think not.

The SEALS should be disbanded!!!

We have Obama!!!

Fucking pole-smoking idiot.

You know you can VOLUNTEER for the military? How can he have been more effective than Jr. when neither of them put boots to the ground? If you think its because of policy then you are mistaken because Obama has done nothing but follow "Jr's" policies. Pry cause he doesn't know what he is doing.

What he said...

Really? Got proof that he despises the military? Because from what I've seen on the news, as well as what I've heard from some active duty relatives, they feel better under Obama than they did under Jr.

I mean............he got not one, but FOUR deferments during Vietnam, and towards the end of the war quit applying for them because there was a drawdown and his number was in the 300's out of 350, meaning very little chance of being called up.

Then, he says he's glad he didn't serve in '94 when interviewed about it, but then when he starts up his political career he says he wishes he'd been over there?

That's an insult to every veteran who DID serve over there.

Could not have said it any better Lewman :clap2:

I think that we on the right are supposed to forget everything Obama stands for because Romney didnt serve in the military, and vote for Obama.

Are you kidding me???

Romney is not my first choice for POTUS, but for now... he is all I have and he will do just fine.

Because they take their oaths to protect our Republic from enemies Foreign and Domestic seriously even though their military services is over. Because they've watched their fellow soldiers give their lives for the Republic. Because they've bled for the Republic and they would like to see us still have a Republic in four years.

Veterans support republican ideals. That's why Al Gore tried to throw out every Military vote unopened in Fla. when he tried to steal the 2000 election.

Forum List

Back