Why do they oppose American beef?

bluesky79

Apr 21, 2008
7 to 8 years have passed since I've stayed in Korea.
Thinking of the times when I first set foot on Korean soil and used to make mistakes caused by cultural differences brings smiles to my face.

Taking a look at responses from the American community on the recent "American beef import rejection" candlelight vigils, I felt heartbroken and hoped that fellow Americans would understand the Korean standpoint on the matter.

From the American point of view, understanding the actions of Korean citizens may seem difficult. Americans could feel uncomfortable with the Korean attitude where they respond as if they are being forced to eat problematic beef which 300 million Americans consume without worry.

However, that kind type of behavior by Americans boosts Korean distrust.

If only America had made it clear more actively that American beef is being consumed worldwide without any problems and that the mad cow issue is not true. Koreans wouldn't have reacted this negatively.

It's unfortunate America didn't clarify that we will negotiate and resolve the 30months or more aged beef issue with the Korean government. It cost us Korea's trust in us.

Because they are farmers. And like farmers in America, they use the government to institute programs that raise domestic prices for foodstuffs at the expense of the consumer.

Toro, you can't really say they are farmers. it seems millions of people are protesting.

The issue here is Korean govt's inability to completely assure koreans on the safety of the imported beef.
You should know they are not importing the same beef Americans consume. Korean govt made a trade agreement with U.S. on importing "inferior" beefs (ones the Americans don't eat), but the MAd Cow Disease thing broke off few years ago and Korean govt ceased the import saying it's dangerous. with pressure from U.S. govt, they are now asserting it's safe and trying to resume it.

They might have used "mad cow disease" to scare people and whip up support for their policies, but the real original issue was protectionism.

Forum List

Back