Why do the US still have the death penalty?

Likuh

Rookie
Jun 3, 2011
Hello everybody,

In most western countries, death penalty is seen as cruel and morally not acceptable. But the US, often referred to as a "moral leader", still practises it.

Has anybody got a clue why that is?

I would be very glad if some people could help me. I have to deliver a speech about that in class.. and during my research I didn't find a proper answer until now.

Hello everybody,

In most western countries, death penalty is seen as cruel and morally not acceptable. But the US, often referred to as a "moral leader", still practises it.

I would be very glad if some people could help me. I have to deliver a speech about that in class.. and during my research I didn't find a proper answer until now.

The State has the right to punish certain offenders with Death if the crime is heinous enough. And that will remain true until such time as Congress and the President agree it should no longer be true.

Not all States have the Death Penalty. Several outlawed it and then found that without such a penalty vicious unremorseful killers could continue to kill in Prison or when released and some of them reinstated the Death Penalty.

Federal law has the death penalty.

Hello everybody,

"The other kids do it too" is infantile, illogical, and obtuse. Even when used in reverse. Moron.

"In most western countries" they do not allow STATE legislatures to determine these issues. Imbecile.

MOST people in the United States really don't give a red rat's ass what other countries think of us. Idiot.

Hello everybody,

Because we're leading morally.

Seriously, what are you looking for? The way you phrase this indicates that you have arbitrarily decided that they're right and we're wrong, so you're probably not positioned to really "get it".

Hello everybody,

"The other kids do it too" is infantile, illogical, and obtuse. Even when used in reverse. Moron.

"In most western countries" they do not allow STATE legislatures to determine these issues. Imbecile.

MOST people in the United States really don't give a red rat's ass what other countries think of us. Idiot.

Thanks for this friendly answer.

Hello everybody,

Because we're leading morally.

Seriously, what are you looking for? The way you phrase this indicates that you have arbitrarily decided that they're right and we're wrong, so you're probably not positioned to really "get it".

Okay, that was a misunderstanding. I'm not searching for moral pro and con arguments for the death penalty. I want to know why the US has the death penalty and other countries don't. I'm searching for facts, historical and whatever.

For example countries that want to be part of the EU have to abolish the death penalty, while the US never had to follow such rules. That's certainly a reason why some countries in Europe abolished the death penalty, even though they might still have liked the idea of capital punishment.

It's very complicated, did you get what I mean? :eusa_eh:

I want to find the points that make the difference between the US and other countries that makes the one side have the death penalty and the other not have it.

I would gladly do without a death penalty in this country.

We are a democracy and its not just my choice.

Forum List

Back