Why do the Left Wing Liberals Hate Corporations?

Why?

Corporations are the greatest drivers of wealth creation in the history of mankind.

Great question Toro...

I don't hate corporations, but I see them as very dangerous to a democratic society, the commons and our environment. Here is a liberal I admire and agree with on almost every issue, including corporations.

Robert F. Kennedy, Jr.
Speech at the Sierra Summit, September 10, 2005

Excerpt:
There is nothing wrong with corporations. Corporations are a good thing. They encourage us to take risks. They maximize wealth. They create jobs. I own a corporation. They're a great thing, but they should not be running our government. The reason for that is they don't have the same aspirations for America that you and I do. A corporation does not want democracy. It does not want free markets, it wants profits, and the best way for it to get profits is to use our campaign-finance system -- which is just a system of legalized bribery -- to get their stakes, their hooks into a public official and then use that public official to dismantle the marketplace to give them a competitive advantage and then to privatize the commons, to steal the commonwealth, to liquidate public assets for cash, to plunder, to steal from the rest of us.

And that doesn't mean corporations are a bad thing. It just means they're amoral, and we have to recognize that and not let them into the political process. Let them do their thing, but they should not be participating in our political process, because a corporation cannot do something genuinely philanthropic. It's against the law in this country, because their shareholders can sue them for wasting corporate resources. They cannot legally do anything that will not increase their profit margins. That's the way the law works, and we have to recognize that and understand that they are toxic for the political process, and they have to be fenced off and kept out of the political process. This is why throughout our history our most visionary political leaders -- Republican and Democrat -- have been warning the American public against domination by corporate power.

This (Bush) White House has done a great job of persuading a gullible press and the American public that the big threat to American democracy is big government. Well, yeah, big government is a threat ultimately, but it is dwarfed by the threat of excessive corporate power and the corrosive impact that has on our democracy. And you know, as I said, you look at all the great political leaders in this country and the central theme is that we have to be cautious about, we have to avoid, the domination of our government by corporate power.

Teddy Roosevelt, a Republican, said that America would never be destroyed by a foreign power but he warned that our political institutions, our democratic institutions, would be subverted by malefactors of great wealth, who would erode them from within. Dwight Eisenhower, another Republican, in his most famous speech, warned America against domination by the military industrial complex.

Abraham Lincoln, the greatest Republican in our history, said during the height of the Civil War "I have the South in front of me and I have the bankers behind me. And for my country, I fear the bankers more." Franklin Roosevelt said during World War II that the domination of government by corporate power is "the essence of fascism" and Benito Mussolini -- who had an insider's view of that process -- said the same thing. Essentially, he complained that fascism should not be called fascism. It should be called corporatism because it was the merger of state and corporate power. And what we have to understand as Americans is that the domination of business by government is called communism. The domination of government by business is called fascism. And our job is to walk that narrow trail in between, which is free-market capitalism and democracy. And keep big government at bay with our right hand and corporate power at bay with our left.

In order to do that, we need an informed public and an activist public. And we need a vigorous and an independent press that is willing to speak truth to power. And we no longer have that in the United States of America. And that's something that puts all the values we care about in jeopardy, because you cannot have a clean environment if you do not have a functioning democracy. They are intertwined; they go together. There is a direct correlation around the planet between the level of tyranny and the level of environmental destruction.

The only way you can protect the environment is through a true, locally based democracy. You can protect it for a short term under a tyranny, where there is some kind of beneficent dictator but, over the long term, the only way we can protect the environment is by ensuring our democracy. That has got to be the number-one issue for all of us: to try to restore American democracy, because without that we lose all of the other things that we value.

Whole speech

"My hero is St. Francis of Assisi because he understood the connection between spirituality and the environment. He understood the way God communicates to us most forcefully is through the fish, the birds and the trees and that it is a sin to destroy those things."
Robert F. Kennedy, Jr.

g10484_u8977_rfkfalcon.jpg

The computer -- nay the entire 80s consumer electronics boom -- came out of the Cold War Pentagon & NASA, i.e., government funding and research.

Also...look into the history of Boeing and commercial aviation. Or try energy development or biotechnology or agriculture.

These things exist because of MASSIVE government subsidies.

I don't hate corporations. I hate the fact that they have convinced an army of morons that they are not products of government, and that they owe nothing to taxpayers.

Have you heard of the American Southwest? Ever wonder why it has power or water (or roads for that matter)? It's called the Hoover Dam and it was created by government. Commerce (and the profit that flows from it) was made possible by government spending, which not only industrialized large parts of the country, but made them livable in the first place.

The republican party has convinced a generation of morons that corporations invented themselves, and thereby owe nothing to society.

Corporations would not exist without subsidies, bailouts, government research and the infrastructure of roads, electricity, and water that underlie commerce.

Corporations are a product of government.

They crave government money and government help. Why do you think they spend all their time in Washington begging for subsidies and regulatory favors? The only thing they want to privatize is profit.

They are the biggest recipients of government welfare in American History. The only people who don't understand this are Republicans. Why? Because the rightwing media universe has been fully captured by big corporations. These corporations have created a narrative which completely erases how much they rely upon government and taxpayer dollars. They do this so they don't have to repay their debt to society.

Last edited:
The computer -- nay the entire 80s consumer electronics boom -- came out of the Cold War Pentagon & NASA, i.e., government funding and research.

Also...look into the history of Boeing and commercial aviation. Or try energy development or biotechnology or agriculture.

I don't hate corporations. I hate the fact that they have convinced an army of morons that they are not products of government, and that they owe nothing to taxpayers.

Check out a little place called the American Southwest. Ever wonder why it has power or water (or roads for that matter)? Next time you're out that way check out the Hoover Dam (to name just one little thing the government created). Commerce (and the profit that flows from it) was made possible by government spending, which not only industrialized large parts of the country, but made them livable in the first place.

The republican party has convinced a generation of morons that corporations invented themselves, and thereby owe nothing to society.

Corporations would not exist without subsidies and bailouts and government research and the infrastructure of roads, electricity, and water that underlie commerce.

Corporations are a product of government.

They crave government money and government help. Why do you think they spend all their time in Washington begging for money and regulatory favors? The only thing they want to privatize is the profit.

They are the biggest recipients of government welfare in American History. The only people who don't understand this are Republicans. Why? Because their media sources has been fully captured by big corporations.

Great post Londoner...

There is no such thing as a 'free market'. All markets are constructed. Think of the stock exchange. It has rules. The World Trade Organization has 900 pages of regulations. The bond market has all kinds of regulations and commissions to make sure those regulations carried out. Every market has rules. There is no market without government, unless it is the only way a real free market could exist and work...at a local level, in a community where every member is a stakeholder in the health and well being of the community.

Last edited:
Great post Londoner...

There is no such thing as a 'free market'. All markets are constructed. Think of the stock exchange. It has rules. The World Trade Organization has 900 pages of regulations. The bond market has all kinds of regulations and commissions to make sure those regulations carried out. Every market has rules. There is no market without government, unless it is the only way a real free market could exist and work...at a local level, in a community where every member is a stakeholder in the health and well being of the community.
Wrong, yet again...Black markets are true laizzez-faire markets, whose only reliance upon gubmint are the laws against their products.

Total bullshit.

Which subsidies did the Wright brothers need to invent the airplane, or Tesla AC generators, or Bell the telephone, or Edison...you name it?

Last edited:
Why?

Corporations are the greatest drivers of wealth creation in the history of mankind.

This blue collar liberal does not hate corperations. However, when the corperations use their power to keep the wages of the working people the same for over 30 years, while at the same time raising the corperate management pay by several factors, there is bound to be friction.

When many of these same corperations move factories to nations without adaquete regulations in terms of worker safety or environmental laws, then insist on 'free trade' with those nations, the working man fully realizes who is working against his interests.

When we have a financial meltdown such as the one we just experianced, and the corperations that caused it walk away scot free, while many of those whose jobs were destroyed loose their homes and all their savings, you are not going to find much love for corperations.

If the men running the corperations ran them ethically, there would not be this problem. There has been a total breakdown of ethics in all too many corperations at the top. And the man on the factory floor gets to foot the bill.

Total bullshit.

Which subsidies did the Wright brothers need to invent the airplane, or Tesla AC generators, or Bell the telephone, or Edison...you name it?

About a dumb ass aren't you, Oddie. Someone in his garage invented the thing that you are communicating your silliness on, right? The whole damned Internet invented in a garage, right?

Great post Londoner...

Wrong, yet again...Black markets are true laizzez-faire markets, whose only reliance upon gubmint are the laws against their products.

Contraband rarely fits any definition of a free market because it is usually stolen goods. But I guess lawlessness is your realm of knowledge.

Total bullshit.

About a dumb ass aren't you, Oddie. Someone in his garage invented the thing that you are communicating your silliness on, right? The whole damned Internet invented in a garage, right?
The internet was considered a total white elephant, until someone found out how to make a buck off of it out in The World, douchebag.

But giving you the benefit of the doubt, one success in hundreds-cum-thousands of towering failures isn't any kind of rate that would keep any bidness in bidness.

Great post Londoner...

Contraband rarely fits any definition of a free market because it is usually stolen goods. But I guess lawlessness is your realm of knowledge.
Goods traded in free markets are not always stolen, you myopic fool.

See: Levis in Soviet Russia and illicit recreational drugs the world around.

Last edited:
Why?

Great question Toro...

I don't hate corporations, but I see them as very dangerous to a democratic society, the commons and our environment. Here is a liberal I admire and agree with on almost every issue, including corporations.

Robert F. Kennedy, Jr.

Excerpt:
There is nothing wrong with corporations. Corporations are a good thing. They encourage us to take risks. They maximize wealth. They create jobs. I own a corporation. They're a great thing, but they should not be running our government. The reason for that is they don't have the same aspirations for America that you and I do. A corporation does not want democracy. It does not want free markets, it wants profits, and the best way for it to get profits is to use our campaign-finance system -- which is just a system of legalized bribery -- to get their stakes, their hooks into a public official and then use that public official to dismantle the marketplace to give them a competitive advantage and then to privatize the commons, to steal the commonwealth, to liquidate public assets for cash, to plunder, to steal from the rest of us.

And that doesn't mean corporations are a bad thing. It just means they're amoral, and we have to recognize that and not let them into the political process. Let them do their thing, but they should not be participating in our political process, because a corporation cannot do something genuinely philanthropic. It's against the law in this country, because their shareholders can sue them for wasting corporate resources. They cannot legally do anything that will not increase their profit margins. That's the way the law works, and we have to recognize that and understand that they are toxic for the political process, and they have to be fenced off and kept out of the political process. This is why throughout our history our most visionary political leaders -- Republican and Democrat -- have been warning the American public against domination by corporate power.

This (Bush) White House has done a great job of persuading a gullible press and the American public that the big threat to American democracy is big government. Well, yeah, big government is a threat ultimately, but it is dwarfed by the threat of excessive corporate power and the corrosive impact that has on our democracy. And you know, as I said, you look at all the great political leaders in this country and the central theme is that we have to be cautious about, we have to avoid, the domination of our government by corporate power.

Teddy Roosevelt, a Republican, said that America would never be destroyed by a foreign power but he warned that our political institutions, our democratic institutions, would be subverted by malefactors of great wealth, who would erode them from within. Dwight Eisenhower, another Republican, in his most famous speech, warned America against domination by the military industrial complex.

Abraham Lincoln, the greatest Republican in our history, said during the height of the Civil War "I have the South in front of me and I have the bankers behind me. And for my country, I fear the bankers more." Franklin Roosevelt said during World War II that the domination of government by corporate power is "the essence of fascism" and Benito Mussolini -- who had an insider's view of that process -- said the same thing. Essentially, he complained that fascism should not be called fascism. It should be called corporatism because it was the merger of state and corporate power. And what we have to understand as Americans is that the domination of business by government is called communism. The domination of government by business is called fascism. And our job is to walk that narrow trail in between, which is free-market capitalism and democracy. And keep big government at bay with our right hand and corporate power at bay with our left.

In order to do that, we need an informed public and an activist public. And we need a vigorous and an independent press that is willing to speak truth to power. And we no longer have that in the United States of America. And that's something that puts all the values we care about in jeopardy, because you cannot have a clean environment if you do not have a functioning democracy. They are intertwined; they go together. There is a direct correlation around the planet between the level of tyranny and the level of environmental destruction.

The only way you can protect the environment is through a true, locally based democracy. You can protect it for a short term under a tyranny, where there is some kind of beneficent dictator but, over the long term, the only way we can protect the environment is by ensuring our democracy. That has got to be the number-one issue for all of us: to try to restore American democracy, because without that we lose all of the other things that we value.

Whole speech

"My hero is St. Francis of Assisi because he understood the connection between spirituality and the environment. He understood the way God communicates to us most forcefully is through the fish, the birds and the trees and that it is a sin to destroy those things."
Robert F. Kennedy, Jr.

what a blowhard......

Total bullshit.

The internet was considered a total white elephant, until someone found out how to make a buck off of it out in The World, douchebag.

But giving you the benefit of the doubt, one success in hundreds-cum-thousands of towering failures isn't any kind of rate that would keep any bidness in bidness.

You are stupid about the history of the net as you are about everything else, Oddie.

Internet Society (ISOC) All About The Internet: History of the Internet

Total bullshit.

You're comparing apples to pomegranates. Just because government R & D can create new products doesn't mean it's the only source.

You are stupid about the history of the net as you are about everything else, Oddie.

Internet Society (ISOC) All About The Internet: History of the Internet
I'm perfectly aware of how the interweb cam into being, dickweed.

Like I said...One success out of thousands money wasting taxpayer funded failures is no kind of success rate.

Total bullshit.

You're comparing apples to pomegranates. Just because government R & D can create new products doesn't mean it's the only source.
I'm comparing apples to apples.

Private enterprise funds anticipation of success and potential profit, while gubmint subsides and grants fund failure by removing the economic drawbacks.

We don't hate corporations. We hate corporations that run amok, with no constraints, no rules, no regulations.

Big difference.

Why?

Great question Toro...

Robert F. Kennedy, Jr.

Excerpt:

Whole speech

Robert F. Kennedy, Jr.

what a blowhard......

Such depth and scope exhibited in your counterpoint... did you sweep your wife off her feet with the line 'nice tooth' at the possum dinner?

We don't hate corporations. We hate corporations that run amok, with no constraints, no rules, no regulations.

Big difference.

In other words, You want to control and own them yourselves, like the madman Obama, so you can make up the rules and regulations as you see fit? ~BH

Forum List

Back