Why do the Koch brothers want to end public education?

It's simple...

Once they moved all the manufacturing jobs overseas the only thing America produces is information. In order to be in that field you need a college education which costs a ton of money. If they destroy the public education system (which sucks but is better than no public education) then that lowers the amount of people who get into college. Essentially making it a pay to play game. The haves will have more and the have nots will have even less.

Do you need a degree to fill one of those shovel-ready jobs Obama created ?

No and you don't need a degree to deflect neither. RePubs like to pretend that theres some perfect solution out there ONLY ONCE they've destroyed the thing we have now. The budget, education, social security etc. Their first goal is to destroy something that isn't perfect AND then their idea (and it's only an idea) would work out perfectly. Except there is no proof of that being the case.

What is the alternative that repubs want to see replace public education? Pay to learn? Only some people get educated and others learn how to dig ditches? what is it?

A public education ensures that an education is AVAILABLE to all....it does not mean that all will WANT to become educated. There are the slackers, the selfish, the lazy, etc. but at least it is offered to them and maybe, just maybe, they wake up and take part in their own education. It doesn't always happen and those who CHOSE to not take their education seriously are the ones always held up as why our system fails.

In other countries, the lazy are weeded out early and are not measured in testing. Furthermore, in other countries, the schools have more power to pick and choose their students and have more power to override the parents on educational choices.

But...all in all, if people like vouchers, if people like school choice....let's try it first for about 12-13 years (one whole group of kids from Kindergarten to Graduation) in one state....say Texas...and see how it works there. Or eliminate public education all together for 13 years in one state...say Texas...and see how it works.

How does it work?

I'd really like to know. My daughter was thoroughly disgusted by the union she had to join.

We're talking serious lib kid here....I know....Mom's kookoo bye bye conservative but did spawn left winger child but always remember I knew Karenga before Karenga knew Karenga.

My daughter truly was disgusted by the teachers union and she told me that everything was about the union and the teachers and NOT the students.

What's going on for true? Or have we hit a point we can't get truth anymore?

Your daughter should not have to join the teacher's union....I don't know of one state where she HAS to. However, maybe if she offers in writing to NOT benefit from the teacher's union-negotiated contracts and to NOT use the Union representatives if she ends up with a conflict with the District....I'm sure she's down for that. Suggest it to her.

Last edited:
I don't fully understand Republican hostility towards education. Its unfortunate that they harbor such attitudes.

Although Washington, D.C. public school students score very low in literature and math, they do excel in the "free food" category -

"In 2009, 43% of all public school students were overweight or obese. This was one of the highest rates in the nation."

Do you think the schools made them fat?

I have to ask. Were you on the SFGate board over the Whipple issue? I always think I know you from different boards and you are always a champ, but I can never peg you.

Although Washington, D.C. public school students score very low in literature and math, they do excel in the "free food" category -

"In 2009, 43% of all public school students were overweight or obese. This was one of the highest rates in the nation."

Do you think the schools made them fat?

I have to ask. Were you on the SFGate board over the Whipple issue? I always think I know you from different boards and you are always a champ, but I can never peg you.

Not heard of that board....and if you ever wonder, I ALWAYS go by "Bodecea". No other names.

A public education ensures that an education is AVAILABLE to all....it does not mean that all will WANT to become educated. There are the slackers, the selfish, the lazy, etc. but at least it is offered to them and maybe, just maybe, they wake up and take part in their own education. It doesn't always happen and those who CHOSE to not take their education seriously are the ones always held up as why our system fails.

In other countries, the lazy are weeded out early and are not measured in testing. Furthermore, in other countries, the schools have more power to pick and choose their students and have more power to override the parents on educational choices.

But...all in all, if people like vouchers, if people like school choice....let's try it first for about 12-13 years (one whole group of kids from Kindergarten to Graduation) in one state....say Texas...and see how it works there. Or eliminate public education all together for 13 years in one state...say Texas...and see how it works.

How does it work?

I'd really like to know. My daughter was thoroughly disgusted by the union she had to join.

We're talking serious lib kid here....I know....Mom's kookoo bye bye conservative but did spawn left winger child but always remember I knew Karenga before Karenga knew Karenga.

My daughter truly was disgusted by the teachers union and she told me that everything was about the union and the teachers and NOT the students.

What's going on for true? Or have we hit a point we can't get truth anymore?

Your daughter should not have to join the teacher's union....I don't know of one state where she HAS to. However, maybe if she offers in writing to NOT benefit from the teacher's union-negotiated contracts and to NOT use the Union representatives if she ends up with a conflict with the District....I'm sure she's down for that. Suggest it to her.

Canada. She was toast. And don't get me wrong. I do believe in unions if run properly. but there is too much room for abuse these days.

Sad because I've been on both sides of issues. I've rocked both sides. Sad, Because I believe in both.

OMG I think TruthMatters and BDPOOP ( no not a spelling error in her name:) ) does google all day just to post threads!!

God, you guys are always good for a laugh. I continue to educate myself and remain aware, and you (speaking out your ignorant ass, as always) fault me for it.

Too funny. :lol:
Spamming the board with useless liberal BS, 24/7, is not educating oneself........It's called being a dumbass who obviously has no life or real ambitions in life.

OMG I think TruthMatters and BDPOOP ( no not a spelling error in her name:) ) does google all day just to post threads!!

God, you guys are always good for a laugh. I continue to educate myself and remain aware, and you (speaking out your ignorant ass, as always) fault me for it.

Spamming the board with useless liberal BS, 24/7, is not educating oneself........It's called being a dumbass who obviously has no life or real ambitions in life.

Do you always lay out your life like that on messageboards?

Do you always lay out your life like that on messageboards?
WTF you babbling about now?

School is not just for "book" learning. It's for gaining socialization skills. It's for learning how to adhere to a daily schedule.

Both things are key in the work place.
There are other places to socialize!! Most home schooled children socialize they have place to get together for functions and field trips. You have sports that kids can socialize. So dont give me you can only do it at schools!! As a parent I can put a daily schedule had to do it all the time when the kids were babies, in preschool, in grade school and highschool . Yeah! even in the summer so dont tell me parents cant put a child on a schedule to do course ect..
THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX.

That's fine.

I applaud that.

But kids need to socialize with people of different ethnicities, religions and socio-economic backgrounds.

I've seen poorly socialized people in my field (believe me IT is crowded with them) including one guy who broke down hysterically crying when asked to do a simple network task because he thought he was "over worked " (over coddled if you ask me).

And poorly socialized people do poorly.

True story.
So your saying that if I homeschool in the county and my kids play sports in the same county they wont be with the same social groups as the ones in the school:cuckoo: If you give your child a well rounded things to do including sports, other activities you will be in the same group of kids doing after school activities. In most districts you can play highschool sports if you pay taxes even if you home school:eusa_whistle: And for the record I did not home school my children but I would if they had started these days with the access to the internet as we do now. Plus my children are military kids and if I had home schooled them they would not only have their activities they would have their military friends kids which is very diverse bunch of people!

Last edited:
There are three pieces to this assault on public education. Private vs public, educational material control, and a particular power they want removed from the federal government so they control it locally. In a sense they are closely tied together. Private school vouchers support an elitist worldview that believes they know best what education should consist of, and they want to remove government controls so they can control curriculum. Consider the recent and continuing banning of Vonnegut's 'Slaughterhouse Five.' Conservatives have a worldview that requires isolation from the openness of a liberal education. They have fought it for many years now. It is this mixture of elements and values that make the issue so hard to fathom.

Slaughterhouse-Five banned by US school | Books | guardian.co.uk

http://www.usmessageboard.com/education/113858-what-makes-us-human.html

.... Generational knowledge and shared values are lost, education and emigration no longer function as unifying tools. As history is revised the base of youth change and they do not learn or know the past. Schools become more conservative as funding goes to voucher systems and schools with diverse points of view are marginalized. Students learn revisionist history. Already today conservative youth repeat the CTT interpretations. Recent examples, the Great Depression was caused by government control. Joseph McCarthy was unfairly castigated by the left. Foreign conflicts were lost because of opposing ideologies. Focus centralizes on the values of the elitist conservatives only. All actions are viewed through a narrow self congratulatory perspective. http://www.usmessageboard.com/writing/50779-end-of-democracy.html

"The Nordic countries maintain their dynamism despite high taxation in several ways. Most important, they spend lavishly on research and development and higher education. All of them, but especially Sweden and Finland, have taken to the sweeping revolution in information and communications technology and leveraged it to gain global competitiveness. Sweden now spends nearly 4 percent of GDP on R&D, the highest ratio in the world today. On average, the Nordic nations spend 3 percent of GDP on R&D, compared with around 2 percent in the English-speaking nations." Jeffrey D. Sachs The Social Welfare State, beyond Ideology: Scientific American

education is what helped make this country great.

killing education will make us a third world country

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sYH6npvlIo&feature=player_detailpage]Judge Judy Here's Who We Support With Our Tax Money - YouTube[/ame]

Another fine accomplishment from the department of education

I really wish I hadn't watched that. How absolutely depressing. What the fuck are we creating? :evil:

I am gonna have to re-evaluate my support for public education.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I like that judge. "Seventy thousand dollars just pissed away" and then she mutters "moron"

Just go to YOUTUBE and watch WAITING FOR SUPERMAN. and you will see how the schools are not doing good and its a teacher problem . We throw so much money into the schools because the teachers say that they need more money and we are getting the same results. The Tenure teachers can not be fired. If a person tries to fire them they go to their union and get rehired pretty much no matter what they do. In the documentary kids took in hidden cameras and the kids sat in the class and played craps,cards run around while the teacher is reading a paper or talking on a cell phone. I am not saying all tenure teachers are bad but they need to be able to fire the bad teachers period!!

Just go to YOUTUBE and watch WAITING FOR SUPERMAN. and you will see how the schools are not doing good and its a teacher problem . We throw so much money into the schools because the teachers say that they need more money and we are getting the same results. The Tenure teachers can not be fired. If a person tries to fire them they go to their union and get rehired pretty much no matter what they do. In the documentary kids took in hidden cameras and the kids sat in the class and played craps,cards run around while the teacher is reading a paper or talking on a cell phone. I am not saying all tenure teachers are bad but they need to be able to fire the bad teachers period!!

I agree but the whole school system shouldnt be attacked because of a few bad teachers. And just because the guy in that video is a POS doesnt mean no one should have access to welfare.

Forum List

Back