Why do the anti God crowd attack the bible ?

But you don't rush to every single thread opened by a Christian to attack and lie. I don't consider you a Christian hater.

Sky, however...

I'm not a Christian hater, though I'm definitely fairly anti-religion. But I strongly believe in the right of people to follow the dictates of their own conscience, even if I disagree with them. I prefer, however, not to be prostelytized to, though I understand the motivation behind it.

I'll be honest, though, Allie. This OP's glee in the idea of non-believers being wiped out by God is kind of creepy/douchey.

I wouldn't even wish eternal torture on my fucktarded ex-husband.

Most Christians don't, either...hence our compulsion to proselytize. It's not a matter of forcing people to faith, that's impossible. It's a matter of inviting them to heaven.

I don't want anyone in hell. However, we know there will be people there.

And anytime we tell people that the faithless will go to hell, we are portrayed as *threatening*.

Being a good witness is extremely difficult, and it isn't a gift I have.

I don't get when there is a lot of evidence showing the reliability of the bible. evidence like ;
•Manuscript Evidence
•Archaeological Evidence
•Prophetic Evidence
•Statistical Evidence

Archaeological and External Evidence for the Bible

Archeology consistently confirms the Bible!

Archaeology and the Old Testament
•Ebla tablets—discovered in 1970s in Northern Syria. Documents written on clay tablets from around 2300 B.C. demonstrate that personal and place names in the Patriarchal accounts are genuine. In use in Ebla was the name "Canaan," a name critics once said was not used at that time and was used incorrectly in the early chapters of the Bible. The tablets refer to all five "cities of the plain" mentioned in Genesis 14, previously assumed to have been mere legends.
•Greater proportion of Egyptian words in the Pentateuch (first five books) than in rest of the Old Testament. Accurate Egyptian names: Potiphar (Gen.39), Zaphenath-Paneah (Joseph's Egyptian name, Gen. 41:45), Asenath (Gen.41:45), On (Gen. 41:45), Rameses (Gen. 47:11), Oithom (Exodus 1:11).
•Finds in Egypt are consistent with the time, place, and other details of biblical accounts of the Israelites in Egypt. These include housing and tombs that could have been of the Israelites, as well as a villa and tomb that could have been Joseph's.
•Confounding earlier skeptics, but confirming the Bible, an important discovery was made in Egypt in 1896. A tablet—the Merneptah Stela—was found that mentions Israel. (Merneptah was the pharaoh that ruled Egypt in 1212-1202 B.C.) The context of the stela indicates that Israel was a significant entity in the late 13th century B.C.
•The Hittites were once thought to be a biblical legend, until their capital and records were discovered in Turkey.
•Crucial find in Nuzi (northeastern Iraq), an entire cache of Hittite legal documents from 1400 B.C. Confirms many details of Genesis, Deuteronomy, such as: (a) siring of legitimate children through handmaidens, (b) oral deathbed will as binding, (c) the power to sell one's birthright for relatively trivial property (Jacob & Esau), (d) need for family idols, such as Rachel stole from Laban, to secure inheritance, (e) form of the covenant in Deuteronomy exactly matches the form of suzerainty treaties between Hittite emperors and vassal kings.
•Walls of Jericho—discovery in 1930s by John Garstang. The walls fell suddenly, and outwardly (unique), so Israelites could clamber over the ruins into the city (Joshua 6:20).
•In 1986, scholars identified an ancient seal belonging to Baruch, son of Neriah, a scribe who recorded the prophecies of Jeremiah (Jer. 45:11).
•In 1990, Harvard researchers unearthed a silver-plated bronze calf figurine reminiscent of the huge golden calf mentioned in the book of Exodus.
•In 1993, archaeologists uncovered a 9th century B.C. inscription at Tel Dan. The words carved into a chunk of basalt refer to the "House of David" and the "King of Israel." And the Bible's version of Israelite history after the reign of David's son, Solomon, is believed to be based on historical fact because it is corroborated by independent account of Egyptian and Assyrian inscriptions.
•It was once claimed there was no Assyrian king named Sargon as recorded in Isaiah 20:1, because this name was not known in any other record. Then, Sargon's palace was discovered in Iraq. The very event mentioned in Isaiah 20, his capture of Ashdod, was recorded in the palace walls! Even more, fragments of a stela (a poetic eulogy) memorializing the victory were found at Ashdod itself.
•Another king who was in doubt was Belshazzar, king of Babylon, named in Daniel 5. The last king of Babylon was Nabonidus according to recorded history. Tablet was found showing that Belshazzar was Nabonidus' son.
•The ruins of Sodom and Gomorrah have been discovered southeast of the Dead Sea. Evidence at the site seems consistent with the biblical account: "Then the Lord rained down burning sulfur on Sodom and Gomorrah—from the Lord out of the heavens." The destruction debris was about 3 feet thick and buildings were burned from fires that started on the rooftops. Geologist Frederick Clapp theorizes that that pressure from an earthquake could have spewed out sulfur-laden bitumen (similar to asphalt) known to be in the area through the fault line upon which the cities rest. The dense smoke reported by Abraham is consistent with a fire from such material, which could have ignited by a spark or ground fire.

Archaeology and the New Testament
•The New Testament mentions specific individuals, places, and various official titles of local authorities, confirmed by recent archeology. Luke sites exact titles of officials. (Titles varied from city to city so they are easily checked for accuracy.) Lysanias the Tetrarch in Abilene (Luke 3:1)—verified by inscription dated 14-29 A.D. Erastus, city treasurer of Corinth (Romans 16:23)—verified by pavement inscription. Gallio—proconsul of Achaia (Greece) in A.D. 51 (Acts 18:12). Politarchs ("city ruler") in Thessalonica (Acts 17:6). Chief Man of the Island on Malta (Acts 28:7). Stone Pavement at Pilate's headquarters (John 19:13)—discovered recently. Pool at Bethesda— discovered in 1888. Many examples of silver shrines to Artemis found (Acts 19:28). Inscription confirms the title of the city as "Temple Warden of Artemis". Account of Paul's sea voyage in Acts is "one of the most instructive documents for the knowledge of ancient seamanship."
•Census of Luke 1. Census began under Augustus approximately every 14 years: 23-22 B.C., 9-8 B.C., 6 A.D. There is evidence of enrollment in 11-8 B.C. in Egyptian papyri. ◦Problem: Historian Josephus puts Quirinius as governor in Syria at 6 A.D. Solution: Recent inscription confirms that Quirinius served as governor in 7 B. C. (in extraordinary, military capacity).
◦Problem: Herod's kingdom was not part of the Roman Empire at the time, so there would not have been a census. Solution: it was a client kingdom. Augustus treated Herod as subject (Josephus). Parallel—a census took place in the client kingdom of Antiochus in eastern Asia Minor under Tiberius.
◦Enrollment in hometown? Confirmed by edict of Vibius Maximus, Roman prefect of Egypt, in 104 A.D. "...it is necessary for all who are for any cause whatsoever way from their administrative divisions to return home to comply with the customary ordinance of enrollment."

•Opinion of Sir William Ramsay, one of the outstanding Near Eastern archeologists: "Luke is a historian of the first rank; not merely are his statements of fact trustworthy; he is possessed of the true historic sense; he fixes his mind on the idea and plan that rules in the evolution of history, and proportions the scale of his treatment to the importance of each incident. He seizes the important and critical events and shows their true nature at greater length...In short, this author should be placed among the very greatest of historians."
•Diggers recently uncovered an ossuary (repository for bones) with the inscription "Joseph Son of Caiaphas." This marked the first archaeological evidence that the high priest Caiaphas was a real person. According to the gospels, Caiaphas presided at the Sanhedrin's trial of Jesus.

External References to Jesus and the Christian Church.
•Josephus. Born to priestly family in A.D. 37. Commanded Jewish troops in Galilee during rebellion. Surrendered, and earned favor of Emperor Vespasian. Wrote 20 books of Antiquities of the Jews. Refers to John the Baptist (killed by Herod) and to James, the brother of Jesus (condemned to death by stoning by the Sanhedrin). He referred to Jesus in his Antiquities 18:63. The standard text of Josephus reads as follows:

"About this time lived Jesus, a wise man, if indeed one ought to call him a man. For he was the achiever of extraordinary deeds and was a teacher of those who accept the truth gladly. He won over many Jews and many of the Greeks. He was the Messiah. When he was indicted by the principal men among us and Pilate condemned him to be crucified, those who had come to love him originally did not cease to do so; for he appeared to them on the third day restored to life, as the prophets of the Deity had foretold these and countless other marvelous things about him, and the tribe of the Christians, so named after him, has not disappeared to this day." (Josephus—The Essential Works, P. L. Maier ed./trans.).

Although this passage is so worded in the Josephus manuscripts as early as the third-century church historian Eusebius, scholars have long suspected a Christian interpolation, since Josephus could hardly have believed Jesus to be the Messiah or in his resurrection and have remained, as he did, a non-Christian Jew. In 1972, however, Professor Schlomo Pines of the Hebrew University in Jerusalem announced his discovery of a different manuscript tradition of Josephus’s writings in the tenth-century Melkite historian Agapius, which reads as follows:

"At this time there was a wise man called Jesus, and his conduct was good, and he was known to be virtuous. Many people among the Jews and the other nations became his disciples. Pilate condemned him to be crucified and to die. But those who had become his disciples did not abandon his discipleship. They reported that he had appeared to them three days after his crucifixion and that he was alive. Accordingly, he was perhaps the Messiah, concerning whom the prophets have reported wonders. And the tribe of the Christians, so named after him, has not disappeared to this day."

Here, clearly, is language that a Jew could have written without conversion to Christianity. (Schlomo Pines, An Arabic Version of the Testimonium Flavianum and its Implications [Jerusalem: Israel Academy of Sciences and Humanities, 1971.])

According to Dr. Paul Maier, professor of ancient history, "Scholars fall into three basic camps regarding Antiquities 18:63: 1) The original passage is entirely authentic—a minority position; 2) it is entirely a Christian forgery—a much smaller minority position; and 3) it contains Christian interpolations in what was Josephus’s original, authentic material about Jesus—the large majority position today, particularly in view of the Agapian text (immediately above) which shows no signs of interpolation. Josephus must have mentioned Jesus in authentic core material at 18:63 since this passage is present in all Greek manuscripts of Josephus, and the Agapian version accords well with his grammar and vocabulary elsewhere. Moreover, Jesus is portrayed as a 'wise man' [sophos aner], a phrase not used by Christians but employed by Josephus for such personalities as David and Solomon in the Hebrew Bible. Furthermore, his claim that Jesus won over “many of the Greeks” is not substantiated in the New Testament, and thus hardly a Christian interpolation but rather something that Josephus would have noted in his own day. Finally, the fact that the second reference to Jesus at Antiquities 20:200, which follows, merely calls him the Christos [Messiah] without further explanation suggests that a previous, fuller identification had already taken place. Had Jesus appeared for the first time at the later point in Josephus’s record, he would most probably have introduced a phrase like “…brother of a certain Jesus, who was called the Christ.”

•Early Gentile writers, referred to by Christian apologists in 2nd century. ◦Thallus—wrote a history of Greece and Asia Minor in A.D. 52. Julius Africanus (221 AD), commenting on Thallus, said: "Thallus, in the third book of his histories, explains away the darkness [during the crucifixion] as an eclipse of the sun—unreasonably, as it seems to me [since the Passover took place during a full moon.]"
◦Official Roman records of the census, and Pontius Pilate's official report to the Emperor. Justin Martyr wrote his "Defense of Christianity" to Emperor Antonius Pius, referred him to Pilate's report, preserved in the archives. Tertullian, writing to Roman officials, writes with confidence that records of the Luke 1 census can still be found.

•
Roman historians
◦Tacitus—Greatest Roman historian, born 52 A.D., wrote a history of the reign of Nero in 110 A.D. "...Christus, from whom they got their name, had been executed by sentence of the procurator Pontius Pilate when Tiberias was emperor; and the pernicious superstition was checked for a short time only to break out afresh, not only in Judea, the home of the plague, but in Rome itself, .. " (Annals 15:44)
◦Suetonius—AD. 120. In his Life of Claudius: "As the Jews were making disturbances at the instigation of Chrestus, he expelled them from Rome."
◦Pliny the Younger—Governor of Bithynia in Asia Minor, wrote the emperor in A.D. 112 about the sect of Christians, who were in "the habit of meeting on a certain fixed day, before it was light, when they sang an anthem to Christ as God."

Archaeological and External Evidence for the Bible - Faith Facts

Attacking sanity and reason were bad enough, but seriously, attacking "common sense"? Shame on you.

Ah...reminiscing on the craziness of Skidiot...

Does anyone remember when she said children of Christian parents should be removed if the parents tried to *brainwash* them into the Christian faith?

I like your christ...I do not like your christians...christians are so unlike your Christ

ghandi

Id still like to find the source of that quote because that just doesnt sound like Gandhi to me.

I've found that those who don't like the Bible either haven't studied it or don't understand it. Of course, I am not going to presume that my experiences are the end all be all of the matter.

BTW, I don't find your evidence for the Bible very compelling.

1) Manuscripts - We don't have the originals. Doesn't matter how many copies or how old they are or how alike the are. Without the originals, they aren't very convincing.

2)Archaelogical - Not really relevant to any discussion on the Bible. The Bible is an ancient document. It records real people and places. It should hardly be surprising that places mentioned in the Bible existed as the Bible says they did. Archaelogical evidence does nothing to prove the Doctrine of Christ. It does nothing to prove the Resurrection of the dead.

3)Prophetic evidence - This is probably one of the strongest pieces of evidence. But unfortunately, people tend to ignore it and many are ignorant of history and events surrounding it to recognizing the prophetic evidence when it has occured and when it is occuring. Take the Pharisees for example, they lived in the days when the Prophecied Messiah came. and they were blind to it.

4) Statistics - Don't get me started on statistics. There are three types of liars. Liars, Damned liars, and statisticians. Statistics can be completely manipulated by anyone with an agenda. And they do nothing to prove the Doctrines of Christ or the reality of the Resurrection.

No, these evidences aren't the strongest in support of the Bible. The strongest evidence is the doctrine itself and the witness of the Holy Ghost.

Christ has said:

If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself. (John 7:17)

In other words, He suggests that we act in faith and experiment on the Word. And by acting on the doctrine we will come to know whether it's from the Father or not.

But if we do experiment on the Doctrine, how will we know? The scriptures answer that question too:

9 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.

10 But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.

11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.

12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.

13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man’s wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. (1 Cor 2:9-14, Emphasis added)

We learn the Truth from the Spirit. That is the only evidence that can convince a man to turn to God. And what greater evidence is there than Revelation from the Father?

But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you. (John 14:26)

If the Holy Ghost will teach us all things, then it is expedient for every Christian to seek the gift of the Holy Ghost. And we obtain this gift through exercising faith in Jesus Christ until we have enough faith to start repenting or changing our lives.

When we repent, we not only confess the things we do wrong, but we make active changes in our lives to stop the sins we are repenting of and trusting in the Atonement of Christ to help us change and be born again.

When we walk the path of repentence we will understand the need to be baptized, even by water, for the remission of sins. And after Baptism by water, we can recieve the baptism by fire, or the Gift of the Holy Ghost by the laying on of hands by one who has the authority to give it as the scriptures show.

That Gift is one of the most precious gifts God can give us aside from life itself. And it would benefit us all if we sought it out in faith and sincerity. With no hypocrisy.

Christians try to convert. It's because we want to share heaven with everybody. Live with it, Christian hater.

Yes, some Christians are motivated o convert others by their love for others. I seem to have missed that in you. Not once, have I heard a kind word from you or a wish for my happiness. To the contrary, you've told me to go to hell.

I'd love to see you happy. I want to see you full of joy.

Unfortunately, wickedness never was happiness. You can't act against the counsels of heaven and be happy because the Commandments of God are designed in their very nature to lead people to happiness.

And let's not forget your assertion that old people are put at risk of home invasion because the EEEVVVIIILLLL Jehovah's Witnesses go door to door...and because they do, old folks assume everybody at their door is a safe person...therefore the JHs themselves are scary because their visits result in old people not being afraid of strangers at the door...lol...

Those skeeeerrrryyy JHers...who are a threat because they're...not...scary enough....I'm so glad you're here to show us how much you don't hate Christians! Woo hoo!

I just love how you keep repeating things I've never said, as if I said them. I never said that the elderly are in danger of home invasions by JW.

Where do you come up with these lies?

Many times I've asked you to provide a link to whatever post you imagine I've said this in and you NEVER have.

It's a lie.

I certainly admit to being prejudiced against Dominionist Churches, Martin Ssempa, Scott Lively.

I don't respect Christians automatically, just because they're the majority religion. I take people one on one. Some Christians aren't nice people, and some are kind and loving. I like some Christians, I dislike others.

Which kind of Christian are you, Allie?

No, you said that old people were at risk from JWs because the practice of JWs going to door to door lowered their fear of attack...

And you said that JWs scared YOU...

Of course that makes no sense, but nothing you say does. The only thing you're consistent about is your hatred of Christians and your desire to oppress them, keep them out of politics, shut them up, hide them away, eliminate them.

You must have me mixed up with someone else. I have NEVER said I am afraid of JW's. I've had lovely conversations with quite a few of them.

I have NEVER said that old people are at risk from JW's.

I do not want to oppress Christians. Some Christians think they have the right to preach at the DMV to people with ZERO interest in Christianity. That's nutty.

The Christians who scare me are the Dominionists, and the homophobes like Martin Ssempa and Scott Lively. I admit I am prejudiced toward people who want to execute gays in Africa and who spread lies about us, such as we caused the Holocaust.

I find the fact that Sarah Palin and Michelle Bachmann, two radical Christian extremists can get the support of the mainstream GOP pretty scary. I don't want to see the US become a Christian theocracy with no freedom of religion.

I support the separation of church and state and a secular government.

Try a non-habitual approach to posting with me sometime. A kind word here or there would do more to win me over than anything else.

We have a common interest in service to others. We have a shared interest in religion. We breathe the same air. C'mon Allie, don't you get bored picking fights with me?

I do.

Last edited:
Christians try to convert. It's because we want to share heaven with everybody. Live with it, Christian hater.

Yes, some Christians are motivated o convert others by their love for others. I seem to have missed that in you. Not once, have I heard a kind word from you or a wish for my happiness. To the contrary, you've told me to go to hell.

Unfortunately, wickedness never was happiness. You can't act against the counsels of heaven and be happy because the Commandments of God are designed in their very nature to lead people to happiness.

You'd love to see me happy if I wasn't so "wicked". LOL. You mean gay, non-christian, don't you? I'm "acting against the counsels of heaven"? Where do you come up with this stuff? Oh, I remember. The Bible.

Yep. I plead guilty to that kind of wickedness and lots more. I have a quick temper. I'm stubborn and I don't like being pushed around.

I am happy most of the time. Happiness comes from self acceptance. I completely accept my human frailities. I completely accept my anger, my fear, my pride, my jealousy, and my ignorance. These are what human beings have. Mixed qualities. I am also kind, loving, generous, intelligent, and I have many, many blessings in my life. The blessings don't come from God. They come as a result of karma. That's MY belief, and I'm sticking to it. You're completely welcome to see it otherwise.

My friend, againsheila tells me that she wants me to meet her in heaven. I appreciate the sentiment, because I know she cares for me as a human being and wants the best for me. I wish for her enlightenment, because this is the highest aspiration a Buddhist can wish for anyone. I'm truly sorry that you would rather shove your beliefs down my throat, than respect that I have my own. I wish the best for you, Avatar.

May you go to heaven and stay at one with God and Jesus your whole life.

Viva la difference.

I'm sorry you are unable to accept that some of us don't believe in God and aren't the slightest bit interested in converting to Christianity.

Take care.

sky

Last edited:

Besides which, she's a liar. I never told her to go to hell as far as I can remember. And far from her contention that she's never heard a kind word from me, I peppered this forum with kind words for the nutjob, and held many, many punches hoping to see some sanity from her. I called her friend, in pm and on the board, and she behaved in the way we all expect from her...she was dishonest and antagonistic and, well, just crazy. In the end I had to tell her to quit PMming me because she was so fucking psychotic and freaked me out. She fished for information and asked questions, then claimed to be "afraid" of the answers. She's a complete and total loon; I can only imagine how much fun she is in real life. I can't imagine the pharmaceutical companies can produce enough lithium to keep her even remotely sane.

Not only that, she broke forum rules by inappropriately making family references and fishing for personal information...

She's a fucking nut.

You'd love to see me happy if I wasn't so "wicked". LOL. You mean gay, non-christian, don't you? I'm "acting against the counsels of heaven"? Where do you come up with this stuff? Oh, I remember. The Bible.

Yep. I plead guilty to that kind of wickedness and lots more. I have a quick temper. I'm stubborn and I don't like being pushed around.

I am happy most of the time. Happiness comes from self acceptance. I completely accept my human frailities. I completely accept my anger, my fear, my pride, my jealousy, and my ignorance. These are what human beings have. Mixed qualities. I am also kind, loving, generous, intelligent, and I have many, many blessing in my life. The blessings don't come from God. They come as a result of karma. That's MY belief, and I'm sticking to it. You're completely welcome to see it otherwise.

My friend, againsheila tells me that she wants me to meet her in heaven. I appreciate the sentiment, because I know she cares for me as a human being and wants the best for me. I wish for her enlightenment, because this is the highest aspiration a Buddhist can wish for anyone. I'm truly sorry that you would rather shove your beliefs down my throat, than respect that I have my own. I wish the best for you, Avatar.

Viva la difference.

You, on the other hand, are unable to accept that some of us don't believe in God and aren't the slightest bit interested in converting to Christianity.

Take care.

sky

:cuckoo:

Pretty much the polar opposite of anything that Avatar has ever said on this forum, including in this thread.

As you can see, her grasp of reality is tenuous at best.

Not only that, she broke forum rules by inappropriately making family references and fishing for personal information...

She's a fucking nut.

Dear Allie,

One kind word sometime. Try it.

If I break the rules, I'm sure you'll report me to the admin or the mods.

You've made up quite a story here. I don't know what you're talking about in "making family references and fishing for personal information".

Are you saying I said something about YOUR family or mine? What info do you think I've fished for with you?

I am completely bored with this trip you're on. I don't take Lithium. But don't let the facts get in your way. You'd make a great fiction writer. I still have the nasty pms you sent me.

Take care,

Sky

Last edited:

I am happy most of the time. Happiness comes from self acceptance. I completely accept my human frailities. I completely accept my anger, my fear, my pride, my jealousy, and my ignorance. These are what human beings have. Mixed qualities. I am also kind, loving, generous, intelligent, and I have many, many blessing in my life. The blessings don't come from God. They come as a result of karma. That's MY belief, and I'm sticking to it. You're completely welcome to see it otherwise.

Viva la difference.

You, on the other hand, are unable to accept that some of us don't believe in God and aren't the slightest bit interested in converting to Christianity.

Take care.

sky

Pretty much the polar opposite of anything that Avatar has ever said on this forum, including in this thread.

As you can see, her grasp of reality is tenuous at best.

I guess you missed the part where Avatar said I was acting against the commands of God and counsels of heaven. In his universe, I can't be happy unless I believe in his God.

Read his most recent post to me. Then read my response. You do read, don't you?

Last edited:

She's a fucking nut.

Dear Allie,

One kind word sometime. Try it.

If I break the rules, I'm sure you'll report me to the admin or the mods.

You've made up quite a story here. I don't know what you're talking about in "making family references and fishing for personal information".

Are you saying I said something about YOUR family or mine? What info do you think I've fished for with you?

I am completely bored with this trip you're on. I don't take Lithium. But don't let the facts get in your way. You'd make a great fiction writer. I still have the nasty pms you sent me.

Take care,

Sky

Forum List

Back