Why do some think the Government owns your money

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by RetiredGySgt, Aug 27, 2012.

1. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,030
    We have had several threads recently and a lot in the past where different posters have declared things like " if the Government lowers taxes, shouldn't we know what the money is spent on" or "lower taxes are stealing from the Government".

Are people not aware that the Government taxes THEIR money, the Government does not possess any money it self it takes from the citizens via taxes and fees. When taxes are lowered the Government is not GIVING anyone money, they are just not taking as much as before.

The Government has the right to tax, and taxes are needed to run essential services. But where did this concept that the Government is giving you money if they lower taxes come from?

Where did the concept that if the Government takes less of your money they should be able to make you tell them what you spend your money on come from? Or the thought that any money the Government does not collect is still the Governments money that they just let you use?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,220
    Since taxes are withheld, the people dont actually see how much money they are paying out. Therefore, the government can get away with the lie that the money isnt ours.

3. Meister

Meister Platinum Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,102
    I can only assume that we didn't earn it ourselves. :eusa_eh:

4. freedombecki

freedombecki Let's go swimmin'! Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,933
    The attitude in Chinese society revolved around worship of central government (emperor) and societies in which the hierarchical structure is like a pyramid with many at the base and only one at the top.

Some people want to tear up the founders' constitution and structure a pyramid government because it is easier to do what one person wants rather than share power.

Dumbing Americans down through teaching pyramid doctrine as desirable is the end means for converting our shared republic into a pyramid oligarchy with one above it all to have his whims catered to and say sweet words to eager, worshipful ears.

We had that here once. King George III. He decided he didn't need our input, kept putting us off as somehow not worth his time to discuss representation in his court. And just to teach us a lesson we wouldn't soon forget, levied a high tax on tea.

The subsequent tea party is still hated by pyramidicissies.

And they're getting their pink slips in November. :muahaha:

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  5. rightwinger

rightwinger Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,541
    You ARE the Government

It is part of being a US Citizen

6. Vidi

Vidi CDZ prohibited

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +343
    What I find interesting is your post clearly shows that you see the Government as something separate from the People.

maybe thats the fundamental difference here.

I see the Government as something I am a part of, something that does MY bidding, not as something thats doing things TO me.

hmmmmm....

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  7. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,030
    So you subscribe to the theory that the Government owns your money and out of the kindness of its heart allows you to keep some? Sure sounds like it. Same with Rightwinger.

It is simple the Government is a construct run by people, rules and laws. It is supposed to do our bidding. But it does NOT own our money, our time or our lives. It may as needed acquire those things for proper and needed reasons. But taxes are not something the Government creates , earns or makes. It is OUR money taken for supposedly specific reasons.

It is simple if a tax decrease is authorized it is NOT the Government giving you money, it is the Government taking less of YOUR money.

The idea that getting a tax decrease should be followed by a requirement for the citizenry to provide any information to the Government on what they CHOSE to spend their own money on is anti-theme to Democracy and our Republic. It flies in the face of who controls what and what the Government is allowed to do by the Constitution and Constitutional laws passed to run said Government.

It amazes me how anyone can actually think the Government owns us and our labor.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. Vidi

Vidi CDZ prohibited

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +343
    No Sgt.

I subscribe to the theory that *I* own the Government. And that *I* demand services from it, and for those services, *I* am charged a fee. Its an interesting theory that was first proposed in the Declaration of Independence and then codified in the Constitution. Perhaps youve heard of them?

You are under the misconception that people actually believe the nonsense that you ascribe to us. You are incorrect.

We, the People, own the Government. Not the other way around.

Its because you see the Government as something other than yourself that you hate it and seek to destroy it and our way of life with it.

The failing is yours.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. Dont Taz Me Bro

Dont Taz Me Bro USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,557
    The world is full of stupid people.

10. rightwinger

rightwinger Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,541
    Interesting

The same people who claim to defend the Constitution despise the very government that it establishes