Why do so many self-professed believers despise Reason?

Procrustes Stretched

And you say, "Oh my God, am I here all alone?"
Dec 1, 2008
Positively 4th Street

an example: Annie Laurie Gaylor, co-president of the Freedom From Religion Foundation, said vandals had shredded and ripped down the banner her group had hung at the park in December. The banner began: "At this season of the winter solstice, may reason prevail."

an example: Annie Laurie Gaylor, co-president of the Freedom From Religion Foundation, said vandals had shredded and ripped down the banner her group had hung at the park in December. The banner began: "At this season of the winter solstice, may reason prevail."

Reason is the enemy of of almost every organization. Question anything and you may upset the group, or the leadership.

Religion requires purity. Question part of it and you bring the whole structure into question. For example If the bible is wrong about small things why cannot it be wrong about large things? The idea of falaibiity is difficult to accept in something that is supposed to dominate your life.

Blind religion, blind patriotism, blind loyalty. All the same.

Ahh the war on Winter Solstice continues...

Christians must hate the Winter Solstice God created....

note: thank you House. Now I need a shower and a real doctor :badgrin:

We have Freedom OF Religion NOT Freedom FROM Religion.

Please elaborate. How can you have freedom TO without also having freedom NOT TO? Let's say there was a law for a town that everyone had to attend religious services of their choice. Didn't matter which religion as long as they attended some service once a week. Would you consider that Freedom of Religion? It's certainly not Freedom From Religion.

The phrase "separation of church and state" does not appear in the Constitution.
No one claims it does. But the principle is there, and Jefferson certainly believed that was the intent.

Article VI forbids religious tests for office.
Ammendment 1 forbids laws regarding an establishment of religion and guarantees freedom of religion. How do you see that as combining rather than seperating church and state?

Why do so many illogical and arrogant people presume their thought process has anything to do with reason?

Why do so many illogical and arrogant people presume their thought process has anything to do with reason?

Why do you arrogantly presume it doesn't? Faith is illogical. If it were supported by evidence, it would not be faith.

There is nothing illogical about faith.

Reason is in the eye of the beholder. With most things in life it's impossible to be logical in it's fullest sense. Emotions aren't logical. But we humans are feeling beings. People have different experiences which dictate their reasoning.

For example, I've had experiences with the Divine. I can't deny it. It would be illogical for me to deny my faith in God and my actual experiences with revelation. Heck, I've been Instantaneously healed by the power of God. You think it's illogical to have faith in God after such experiences? Id have to lie not only to others, but to God and more importantly to myself to say otherwise. There is nothing logical about that.

There is nothing illogical about relying on your experiences to make judgments. In fact, I think it's quite practical to do so.

The OP has an unrealistic viewpoint of what reason is. He doesnt take into account the personal experiences of people and how that influences their thought process. What is logical about not recognizing that others have a different point of view and knowledge base by which to reach their conclusions?

Which is the more arrogant position? To recognize that people have had different experiences which influence how they reason or to ignore that and pretend your point of view and what you find logical is the only way to be logical.

Dante saying he supports reason?

That's news to me, based on his posting style I figured he hated it.

One more example of why I support forced castration of imbeciles. :eusa_whistle:

Being the statist you are, rest assured I'll never doubt you approving of any over reaching thing gov't can do.

You mock christians when you speak in even more glowing terms of Obama than they do of Jesus. Your faith is as strong as any religious fundamentalist I've ever spoken to. Oh and btw I'm an atheist myself.

Maybe I just haven't been in the right threads, but I've seen christians and other religious people question god, has anyone ever seen Dante question anything Obama does?

One more example of why I support forced castration of imbeciles. :eusa_whistle:

Im pretty sure if you truly wanted that, you could castrate yourself without any problems. I wouldnt recommend it though.

/\ a prime example /\ of why I support abortion on demand. some imbeciles must have been a burden to carry to term... :eusa_whistle:

Being the statist you are, rest assured I'll never doubt you approving of any over reaching thing gov't can do.

You mock christians when you speak in even more glowing terms of Obama than they do of Jesus. Your faith is as strong as any religious fundamentalist I've ever spoken to. Oh and btw I'm an atheist myself.

Obama? I think he is a middle of the road pragmatist with liberal and progressive leanings. Of course I mock the proselytizers of religion and Obama.

but ... you're too stuck on stupid to see clearly

Obama? I think he is a middle of the road pragmatist with liberal and progressive leanings. Of course I mock the proselytizers of religion and Obama.

but ... you're too stuck on stupid to see clearly

Fair enough, like I said maybe I'm just on the wrong threads.

Can I get a link to the thread of you mocking Obama?

Maybe I just haven't been in the right threads, but I've seen christians and other religious people question god, has anyone ever seen Dante question anything Obama does?

yep. Dante fought for three years with people who praised Obama for walking on water, but it's election time and we have to pick.

and Obama has been on the right side of (liberal) a few issues recently, issues that make America a better place than when he and I entered it.

praise goes where it deserves.

:cool:

Forum List

Back