Why do so many of you buy into the left/right paradigm?

Do you find it fun? Ya know, being on one team while tattering whoever is on the other team? Surely you do not think that there is any tangible difference between the American let and the American right...why instead not just look for issues and details you agree with personally rather than look for your opinions spoon fed to you? Help me understand this.

You are repeating a tired, fallacious meme. There are significant differences between the Right and Left.

Significance is in the eye of the beholder. I think the real issue here is that the left/right axis no longer addresses issues of contention between authoritarians and libertarians. Authoritarians dominate both parties and drive us deeper and deeper into corporatist government. Choosing between a party that wants to tell us how to run our personal lives and one that wants to tell us how to run our economic lives is irrelevant to those who want neither.

Likewise, I'd suppose that people enthusiastic about a strong, central government are more or less content with whichever party wins, as they both aim in that direction.

'Neither' isn't a form of government.

Libertarians have no answers, but they sure wax eloquently about the way things oughta be!

Do you find it fun? Ya know, being on one team while tattering whoever is on the other team? Surely you do not think that there is any tangible difference between the American let and the American right...why instead not just look for issues and details you agree with personally rather than look for your opinions spoon fed to you? Help me understand this.

I find it destructive to all of us to be honest and extremely frustrating....my sig line says it best.

World Peace and Ending Hunger are good ideas as well.

Libertarian will never be anything more than 'ideas.'

That is what the Constitution of the United States of America is, Ideas. In the early days of the republic, people were educated at home, in private schools, etc. There was no mass government indoctrination. Your attitude towards the notion of those ideals were not common. Just admit it, you don't believe in the Constitution any more and you think it is just a damn piece of paper. We have only had one President of the United States that was truly a Libertarian, that was George Washington.

I hate the healthcare law, but the most brilliant legal minds we have tell us it is, in fact, Constitutional.

Do you, or do you not, believe in the Constitution?

You are projecting. It is Libertarians who do not believe in the Constitution.

So kindly 1) educate yourself 2) look in the mirror and then tell me who is the one who thinks 'the Constitution is just a damn piece of paper, and then 3) go fuck yourself.

a neocon that believes the supreme court has the power to legislate. interesting. please, tell me more.

You "ask" Why do so many of you buy into the left/right paradigm?

And I suggest that maybe it has something to do with the fact that there is a left vs right "divide."

You claim that there is no tangible difference between the American left and the American right and I say that's one of the silliest bits of utter nonsense I have seen posted here outside of twoofer bullshit, racist idiocy and everything said by TderpM.

When tackled from the perspective of government growth, both the left and the right grow government in equal measure. Just because they grow it in different ways does not mean that they are different.

Again, you babble and duck the simple question.

You are afraid of the simple question.

You have failed.

I'm not afraid of a simple question, but you have dismissed all of my previous posts as "babbling" simply because you do not understand the concepts which I have communicated.

I will answer your question. YES, the supreme court does interpret the constitution. Now YOU answer my question. What do the implications of my posts have on the membership of those elites sitting on the supreme court mean about the validity of the culturally indoctrinated background of those who sit on the supreme court? How does this address whether these rulings are culturally UN-American in nature vis-a-vis their interpretation insofar as the Constitution is concerned?

"We begin to see, therefore, the importance of selecting our environment with the greatest of care, because environment is the mental feeding ground out of which the food that goes into our minds is extracted."
~Napoleon Hill

"Mediocre minds usually dismiss anything which reaches beyond their own understanding."
~Francois de La Rochefoucauld

You have failed.

I'm not afraid of a simple question, but you have dismissed all of my previous posts as "babbling" simply because you do not understand the concepts which I have communicated.

I will answer your question. YES, the supreme court does interpret the constitution. Now YOU answer my question. What do the implications of my posts have on the membership of those elites sitting on the supreme court mean about the validity of the culturally indoctrinated background of those who sit on the supreme court? How does this address whether these rulings are culturally UN-American in nature vis-a-vis their interpretation insofar as the Constitution is concerned?

"We begin to see, therefore, the importance of selecting our environment with the greatest of care, because environment is the mental feeding ground out of which the food that goes into our minds is extracted."
~Napoleon Hill

"Mediocre minds usually dismiss anything which reaches beyond their own understanding."

Kewl.

Let us then try again.

Does the Supreme Court interpret the Constitution, or not?

And I suggest that maybe it has something to do with the fact that there is a left vs right "divide."

You claim that there is no tangible difference between the American left and the American right and I say that's one of the silliest bits of utter nonsense I have seen posted here outside of twoofer bullshit, racist idiocy and everything said by TderpM.

When tackled from the perspective of government growth, both the left and the right grow government in equal measure. Just because they grow it in different ways does not mean that they are different.

(A) that is not true.

(B) to the extent that there is, nonetheless, a small kernel of truth in your words, there, you are still wrong BECAUSE -- there is far more to the left right divide than just the matter of government growth.

(C) Left vs. Right is VERY different in a variety of ways, large and small. Some more important than others.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSi2eIt-9yU&feature=g-all-lik]It's Good For You! (Original Song) - YouTube[/ame]

It's Good For You! (Original Song) - YouTube

Thanks for that! I love all these overtly political songs lately. My lady and I wrote and recorded one ourselves over the Labor Day weekend. Obviously, we're not pros, but I thought it came out pretty nice:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Cz2nBGovHs]Less is In - YouTube[/ame]

A famous general once said that you go to war with the army that you have, and not the one you wish you had. Politics is no different, you work with the political structure that exists, and not the one that you wish existed. My politics are based on some very long lived principles, and I vote according to those principles.

First, is the strong belief that the Constitution of the United States of America is the best contract between a people and their federal government, that has ever existed in human history. Defending that contract is the primary duty of every citizen. The fact that we have allowed politicians and jurists to tear at that document, does not discredit the document, it discredits the abusers, and those who sit by and allow them to do so.

Second, is that individual Americans, acting in their own financial and social interests, have built an economy and a social fabric, second to none. That no government or bureaucrat is smart enough, wise enough, or honest enough to do a better job at it. And, every time they try, they screw it up, bigtime.

Third, is the knowledge that political power is like fire, helpful when well controlled, but highly dangerous when out of control. Consequently, political power must be difused as much as is possible, and held, as much as possible at the local level, where citizens are better able to contain it.

Fourth, is the absolute fact that no honest man, who is indebted to another, is as free as one who is not. When indebted to government, or dependent upon government, freedom exists only at the level that government dictates. You want the goodies, you toe the line.

Neither major political party meets all of my standards, but the Republican party comes far closer than the Democrat party. I can either play the game with the politics that exist, or I can sneak off into the corner and throw a snit.

If your army went from being a Weimar army and became a Nazi army, you would not join that army. Or maybe YOU would, but I would not.

Elections are now determined as much by who doesn't vote as they are by who does vote.

Those who are repulsed and stay home affect the outcome as much as those who vote.

Romney or Obama will win not because they attracted votes, but because they turned off less of their base than their opponent.

If Obama wins, it won't be because he is superior. It will be because the GOP is incompetent and deserves Obama to win.

Voting for incompetents encourages them. It makes them believe they are doing the right thing.

Well, the GOP is not doing the right thing. I absolutely refuse to encourage the kind of evil poisoning the party.

Last edited:

(A) that is not true.

(B) to the extent that there is, nonetheless, a small kernel of truth in your words, there, you are still wrong BECAUSE -- there is far more to the left right divide than just the matter of government growth.

(C) Left vs. Right is VERY different in a variety of ways, large and small. Some more important than others.

See, I really just don't understand you. You are concerned about government growth and more importantly, the national debt, but are going to vote for Romney, a guy who said the the stimulus was good, a guy who plans to keep fighting wars that will never end...a guy who has no plans to balance anything...why?

You have failed.

~Napoleon Hill

Kewl.

Let us then try again.

Does the Supreme Court interpret the Constitution, or not?

You have severe reading comprehension problems. I doubt you graduated from high school. I have no need to enter into a discussion with you if you aren't going to read my posts. I just answered that in the SAME DAMN POST. If you didn't see the answer, how can we have a dialog? You must be, oh, I don't know, like maybe a teenager or twenty something with the attention span of a Tasmanian gnat. You're probably used to having twitter or Facebook type exchanges. Dialoging with you is a useless proposition I see. :bang3:

You have severe reading comprehension problems. I doubt you graduated from high school. I have no need to enter into a discussion with you if you aren't going to read my posts. I just answered that in the SAME DAMN POST. If you didn't see the answer, how can we have a dialog? You must be, oh, I don't know, like maybe a teenager or twenty something with the attention span of a Tasmanian gnat. You're probably used to having twitter or Facebook type exchanges. Dialoging with you is a useless proposition I see. :bang3:

I see you have met Sniper Fire!

If he isn't the dumbest poster here - she is working hard to try to be!

Excellent post! So many people mindlessly vote for someone due to the letter "R" or "D". Many then claim that that's not true, but I wonder how many actually bothering learning about the others on the ballot? If one is truly voting for the person they agree with the most-then logically they would know all (or at least most) of the names on the ballot, in order to actually make an informed decision.

Ultimately I think the most telling thing is this: if you bring two people together and them for their opinions on a lot of issues (non-political)-they will never agree 100% on everything. Yet so many people agree with the D's or R's on everything. If two entities agree on everything-it means that one isn't truly thinking for themselves, or making the decisions for themselves. It's painfully obvious which ones it is when it comes to voting.

Both sides are MUCH more similar than they realize.

I'm guessing you didn't actually look at the party's platform. That's fine, but if you'd care to take the time, I really would like to see which of the specifically stated principals you're against.

You really think I haven't studied Libertarian?

LOL

Libertarians simply don't get human nature and you are oblivious to world history.

Maybe we are naive, but at least we believe in something positive.

I don't think it's being "naive". Speaking of the person who said that Libertarians don't study world history-oh really? Would you say it's naive to say that a group of smallers, separate "countries" could band together to take on the most powerful country in the world, and defeat them for their independence (twice), then set up a new(ish) system. Not to mention when those "countries" were first fighting for their independence-MANY among the population there didn't want to rebel in the first place. Then those "countries" would consolidate into one country...and become the world's superpower 1 1/2 centuries later. If you were to go back in time, I'd be willing to bet the overwhelming majority of the population would say that was "naive".

PS-It's better to be "naive" in what you stand for, than to blindly follow the orders you get barked at by others.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back