Why do so many atheists oppose the death penalty...

I oppose the death penalty. I think killing someone is wrong, unless it is in self defense or defnse of another life.

And given the number of sentences that have been reversed, the amount of corruption in the justice system and the unreliable nature of the typical witness, I don't believe you can be 100% sure you got the right person.

And I am not a liberal.
I am not a liberal or an atheist and I oppose the taking of all human lives because it is wrong. And that would apply to self defense or the defense of another life. Why? Because we know it is wrong because of the way it makes us feel afterwards, even if it is done in self defense or the defense of another.

It is better to maintain the standard and admit that you failed to meet the standard rather than to justify your actions. Why? Because standards are lowered incrementally; gradually. One rationalization at a time. Once we start to rationalize the taking of one life because of one reason it is easier to make the leap to the next rationalization.

I am curious though, you are making a "we are fallible argument" as a basis for your belief. Do you oppose the state taking the life of a man guilty of a heinous crime? Because if you don't, why even make that argument?

Killing someone is a barbaric practice

Civilized societies should not engage in barbaric practices

I am not a liberal or an atheist and I oppose the taking of all human lives because it is wrong.
Yet, you worship a god who drowned nearly everyone in a flood it created for that purpose.

I am not a liberal or an atheist and I oppose the taking of all human lives because it is wrong.
Yet, you worship a god who drowned nearly everyone in a flood it created for that purpose.
That would be your opinion. Not mine. I don't read the Bible literally like you do.
So god didn't make the flood happen and it didn't kill anyone, ever. So that story is there for what exactly then? To scare the children? :lol:

That would be your opinion. Not mine. I don't read the Bible literally like you do.
So god didn't make the flood happen and it didn't kill anyone, ever. So that story is there for what exactly then? To scare the children? :lol:
Maybe it was created to give people like you an excuse for not believing.

So you don't even have a real answer to why they'd put in a story that never happened? That's pretty weak, even for you. :biggrin:

So you don't even have a real answer to why they'd put in a story that never happened? That's pretty weak, even for you. :biggrin:
I'm pretty sure I've answered this like ten times already.

Can you stick with the actual topic? Or is this just a free-for-all against religion?

I'm pretty sure I've answered this like ten times already.
Ya, we know, you cherry-pick the stories in the bible. Totally weak.

Can you stick with the actual topic? Or is this just a free-for-all against religion?
I'm agnostic and don't oppose the death penalty. Happy? :biggrin:

You'd think that god believers would oppose the death penalty but they don't because their god killed nearly everyone in a flood for being bad. Even the babies.

New Topics

Forum List

Back