Why do Republicans oppose the rights of people to run for President?

OohPooPahDoo

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
N'Awlins Mid-City
I don't get it Republicans. You claim to be the party of liberty yet you try to block Gary Johnson's legitimate claim to ballot access in Pennsylvania. Seems hypocritical to me.
The Pennsylvania Republican Party first challenged the petition to get Johnson on the ballot. Now, after scores of volunteers from both parties have reviewed more than 49,000 signatures to determine their validity, around 15,000 are still in question and thousands of others were thrown out.

PA: Details muddy validity of signatures in Johnson ballot challenge « Watchdog News

Not only do Penn Republicans want to keep as many people away from the voting booth as possible - they want to keep as many people off the ballot as possible!

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Only republicans? Yet in the quote you posted it cleary says "scores of volunteers from both parties". Republicans may have started it, but it looks like democrats were more than happy to jump in.

I don't get it Republicans. You claim to be the party of liberty yet you try to block Gary Johnson's legitimate claim to ballot access in Pennsylvania. Seems hypocritical to me.
The Pennsylvania Republican Party first challenged the petition to get Johnson on the ballot. Now, after scores of volunteers from both parties have reviewed more than 49,000 signatures to determine their validity, around 15,000 are still in question and thousands of others were thrown out.

PA: Details muddy validity of signatures in Johnson ballot challenge « Watchdog News

Not only do Penn Republicans want to keep as many people away from the voting booth as possible - they want to keep as many people off the ballot as possible!

You are beyond stupid, but keep proving it here every day.

Only republicans? Yet in the quote you posted it cleary says "scores of volunteers from both parties". Republicans may have started it, but it looks like democrats were more than happy to jump in.

shhhhhh... i was sleeping.

Only the republicans who reviewed signatures wanted to prevent Johnson from being on the ballot. The Democrats were just pretending.

Republicans also have no shame when it comes to threatening to stick parties with legal fees to get them off the ballot

The Constitution party had turned in about 35,000 signatures to Harrisburg on August 1st, plenty more than the 20,601 third parties are required to get on the ballot. In an act one Libertarian party member referred as “extortion” to PW, Republican Party lawyers had warned the Constitution and Libertarian Parties that their court costs could reach more than $100,000 if they lost signature challenge bids. (In Pennsylvania, candidates kicked off the ballot can be forced to pay their opponents’ legal fees.) That forced the Constitution party, who’s already paid about $50,000 in legal fees, to blink. The Libertarian party has not, yet.
Constitution Party Kicked Off the Pennsylvania Ballot | PhillyNow | A blog about Philadelphia news, politics and culture by Philadelphia Weekly

The Virginia Board of Elections today rejected a challenge by the Republican Party of Virginia to petitions submitted to place former New Mexico Governor Gary Johnson on the state's ballot as the Libertarian nominee for President. The Board of Elections' decision clears the way for Johnson's name to appear on the November ballot.
Gary Johnson continues to beat Republican challenges to the ballot - West Palm Beach Libertarian | Examiner.com

Face it righties - the Republican party is trying to make it so you HAVE TO CHOOSE BETWEEN OBAMA AND ROMNEY rather than being able to choose someone you think might actually do a good job as President.

shhhhhh... i was sleeping.

Only the republicans who reviewed signatures wanted to prevent Johnson from being on the ballot. The Democrats were just pretending.

Should they have only allowed Republican volunteers to help?

Last edited:
The two-party dictatorship must halt all inroads. If voters get the idea that the DemRep rule (talk about bipolar disorder!) is optional, it could be dangerous - for the entrenched politicos ready to sacrifice anything and anybody to get, keep and increase power.

They failed in Virginia and Virgil Goode will help hand Obama a victory here in November.

Although I should add, I don't think it's just the republicans challenge him in those states.

I agree that some Democrats may be involved, but it's safe to say that Republicans stand to lose more votes by a Libertarian being allowed on the ballot. As a Gary Johnson supporter who has recently moved to Harrisburg, PA this is a serious issue to me. I am constantly fed the line that if I don't vote at all I have no room to complain. Now the only person I could possibly stand voting for isn't being given a fair shot to even be allowed on the ballot. Do I have room to complain when the entire process is rigged against the candidate I support?

Hypocrite much?

Obama played hardball in first Chicago campaign - CNN

"In his first race for office, seeking a state Senate seat on Chicago's gritty South Side in 1996, Obama effectively used election rules to eliminate his Democratic competition.

As a community organizer, he had helped register thousands of voters. But when it came time to run for office, he employed Chicago rules to invalidate the voting petition signatures of three of his challengers.

The move denied each of them, including incumbent Alice Palmer, a longtime Chicago activist, a place on the ballot. It cleared the way for Obama to run unopposed on the Democratic ticket in a heavily Democrat district.

"That was Chicago politics," said John Kass, a veteran Chicago Tribune columnist. "Knock out your opposition, challenge their petitions, destroy your enemy, right? It is how Barack Obama destroyed his enemies back in 1996 that conflicts with his message today. He may have gotten his start registering thousands of voters. But in that first race, he made sure voters had just one choice."............."

REALLY?????? Have you bothered to investigate how your dear leader Maobama got himself into office in IL, he managed to get sealed divorce documents unsealed, all the while managing to hide his past and getting all his records sealed. Yep, a record to be proud of. And then you have the fact that the comminist party is endorsing your dear leader and not running a candidate this time around, what kind of deal do you think they struck so they wouldn't take votes from Maobama? Communist Party USA Endorses Obama for 2012 | Independent Political Report

Think on that a while

I think if Johnson meets ballot access requirements, he should be on the ballot, but challenging petition signatures is a normal part of politics. So you might want to get over that.

Forum List

Back