Why do Republicans keep saying the unemployed should just "go get a job"?

I lost my teaching position due to reduction in force in June 2010. The following summer I collected unemployment. In the fall I started substituting. Found out over Christmas break that unlike any other 'day-to-day' hire, when a period of non-employment happened, teachers in IL are not covered by unemployment again. Seriously.

Got through those weeks with help of family. In May found part-time minimum wage job to augment the subbing, but it was too late to build any 'nest egg', summer vacation started. Luckily they put me on over 30 hours per week for most of the summer. Resumed subbing. Now I'm applying for out of state teaching jobs. How would I get there? Family/friends.

If I'd just remained on unemployment, I don't think I'd be getting some responses back.

That's actually the issue employers are having with hiring those 'that have been out of the job markets for so long.' One does what one can and that's all one can do.

Life Inc. - Older Americans' challenge: No time to recover from recession

Meanwhile they have to grapple with how to pay for rising health care costs and may have to make difficult choices between covering medical costs and other expenses.
The report also noted that it has been extremely difficult for older workers who lose jobs to find new ones.
The unemployment rate for Americans 55 and over was 6.7 percent in September, according to the most recent data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. That’s far lower than the overall unemployment rate of 9.1 percent.
But for workers 55 to 64 years old, the median duration of unemployment is 43 weeks. That compares to an overall median duration of 22 weeks, according to the most recent BLS data.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I love it when they right wingers keeps saying, "Go get a job". Below are just a few of the posts. This is sad. But it's a reflections of today's Republican America. Where their policies have led.

I'm 59. Lost my job in 2007, took 2 years to find a new one at 40% less than what I was earning. Market has killed my 401K. Gonna be fun!

Lost 40% of my IRA in '08, laid off at 64, forced to sell my home for 35% less than 5 years ago. Good health and job skills, but no jobs.

I was essentially forced into retirement at 60. Laid off after 40 yr in Ins. 500 resumes -0- interviews

We thought we'd be ok with 1 state & 2 fed. pensions, 2-401(k)s, 2 IRAs & Social Sec. Pensions may not be there & savings may be worthless

Stock market is killing my 401(k); I'm worried and I'm not close to retirement age yet.

Our stock portfolio was decimated twice. The company I retired from is removing medical benefits annually, providing zero by 2014.

They're capitalists - they want to work for a living - they don't want a government handout and they're certainly sick of having to see those who do have work having to fork over their hard earned money so squatters can squat in every major city in this country..

They just want to be left alone to work hard and live their lives and live the American dream..

OWS wants everything just handed to them on a silver platter..

The TP is willing to work to get ahead - progressives and those of the OWS movement are not - even more ironically they're the cause of what they're protesting against.

I lost my teaching position due to reduction in force in June 2010. The following summer I collected unemployment. In the fall I started substituting. Found out over Christmas break that unlike any other 'day-to-day' hire, when a period of non-employment happened, teachers in IL are not covered by unemployment again. Seriously.

Got through those weeks with help of family. In May found part-time minimum wage job to augment the subbing, but it was too late to build any 'nest egg', summer vacation started. Luckily they put me on over 30 hours per week for most of the summer. Resumed subbing. Now I'm applying for out of state teaching jobs. How would I get there? Family/friends.

If I'd just remained on unemployment, I don't think I'd be getting some responses back.

That's actually the issue employers are having with hiring those 'that have been out of the job markets for so long.' One does what one can and that's all one can do.

The union shit-canned or blackballed you?

If you're TP Its because of your politics...

Thew you right under the bus..

I'm from Illinois and you do as your told or you do nothing if you belong to a union - well unless you have tenure at one of our many brainwashing institutions, but you need to be completely indoctrinated to get tenure so...

They threw my progressive uncle under the bus when he applied for tenure.... I think its funny...

Apparently he didn't publish enough...

It's fun seeing progs and unions smoke their own...

The union shit-canned or blackballed you?

If you're TP Its because of your politics...

Thew you right under the bus..

I'm from Illinois and you do as your told or you do nothing if you belong to a union - well unless you have tenure at one of our many brainwashing institutions, but you need to be completely indoctrinated to get tenure so...

They threw my progressive uncle under the bus when he applied for tenure.... I think its funny...

Apparently he didn't publish enough...

It's fun seeing progs and unions smoke their own...

Well 'no union,' parochial school and merger with another due to economy, much like most folks having a hard time.

Dean, come on now. You're dealing with the same person who said this:

I wouldn't waste too much time on him.

yea you should talk.....your the one who said if they teach about gay people in schools,maybe a bully will think about Gay accomplishments and leave the kid alone.....:eusa_eh:

I did. And that's a bad thing? :cuckoo:

its pretty dam unrealistic.....but go ahead and believe a kid who is a bully is not going to pick on a gay kid because of Harvey Milk.....he aint going to give a flying fuck.....if he dont like you he is going to pick on you.....so here now let me give you one of these....:cuckoo:

Meanwhile they have to grapple with how to pay for rising health care costs and may have to make difficult choices between covering medical costs and other expenses.
The report also noted that it has been extremely difficult for older workers who lose jobs to find new ones.
The unemployment rate for Americans 55 and over was 6.7 percent in September, according to the most recent data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. That’s far lower than the overall unemployment rate of 9.1 percent.
But for workers 55 to 64 years old, the median duration of unemployment is 43 weeks. That compares to an overall median duration of 22 weeks, according to the most recent BLS data.

I love it when they right wingers keeps saying, "Go get a job". Below are just a few of the posts. This is sad. But it's a reflections of today's Republican America. Where their policies have led.

I'm 59. Lost my job in 2007, took 2 years to find a new one at 40% less than what I was earning. Market has killed my 401K. Gonna be fun!

Lost 40% of my IRA in '08, laid off at 64, forced to sell my home for 35% less than 5 years ago. Good health and job skills, but no jobs.

I was essentially forced into retirement at 60. Laid off after 40 yr in Ins. 500 resumes -0- interviews

We thought we'd be ok with 1 state & 2 fed. pensions, 2-401(k)s, 2 IRAs & Social Sec. Pensions may not be there & savings may be worthless

Stock market is killing my 401(k); I'm worried and I'm not close to retirement age yet.

Our stock portfolio was decimated twice. The company I retired from is removing medical benefits annually, providing zero by 2014.

What is your point deanie weanie? That unemployed people should stay unemployed?

:confused:

What is your point deanie weanie? That unemployed people should stay unemployed?

I think hes pushing the 199 week plan, 99 weeks is so yesterday.

I think hes pushing the 199 week plan, 99 weeks is so yesterday.

You jest, but I know a few people who's spouse's are gainfully employed who elected to stay unemployed and stay home with their kids. Hell, 99 weeks? Why the hell not.

So why won't Pubs allow a jobs bill to pass? These are the kinds of jobs bills they were always for... Though I enjoyed your irrelevant anecdotes....
It's not the Republicans...dolt. Try Dingy Harry Reid...and there are Democrats that know what the 'bill' is...more taxation, and they want to get re-elected. The whole 'bill' is a phoney ploy by Obama to try to nail Republicans.

Obama is playing a dangerous game with the lives of the people he says he cares about. He is a LIAR. It's all about him and his re-election.

Yes, it is Republicans. Every Dem senator except for two of them voted in favor of the bill. Not one Repub senator voted for it. Try again.

Forum List

Back