Why do Republicans keep saying the unemployed should just "go get a job"?

R

rdean

Life Inc. - Older Americans' challenge: No time to recover from recession

Meanwhile they have to grapple with how to pay for rising health care costs and may have to make difficult choices between covering medical costs and other expenses.
The report also noted that it has been extremely difficult for older workers who lose jobs to find new ones.
The unemployment rate for Americans 55 and over was 6.7 percent in September, according to the most recent data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. That’s far lower than the overall unemployment rate of 9.1 percent.
But for workers 55 to 64 years old, the median duration of unemployment is 43 weeks. That compares to an overall median duration of 22 weeks, according to the most recent BLS data.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I love it when they right wingers keeps saying, "Go get a job". Below are just a few of the posts. This is sad. But it's a reflections of today's Republican America. Where their policies have led.

I'm 59. Lost my job in 2007, took 2 years to find a new one at 40% less than what I was earning. Market has killed my 401K. Gonna be fun!

Lost 40% of my IRA in '08, laid off at 64, forced to sell my home for 35% less than 5 years ago. Good health and job skills, but no jobs.

I was essentially forced into retirement at 60. Laid off after 40 yr in Ins. 500 resumes -0- interviews

We thought we'd be ok with 1 state & 2 fed. pensions, 2-401(k)s, 2 IRAs & Social Sec. Pensions may not be there & savings may be worthless

Stock market is killing my 401(k); I'm worried and I'm not close to retirement age yet.

Our stock portfolio was decimated twice. The company I retired from is removing medical benefits annually, providing zero by 2014.

Because if they get a job they are no longer unemployed.

Not exactly rocket science there.

Which Republicans have been saying this? Cain came close in addressing the OWS protesters, but he didn't quite say that.

There seem to be three situations in which one could say "get a job":

1) Speaking to an unemployed person who is already looking hard for work.

Here, it will probably irritate them.

2) Speaking to an unemployed person who is not looking for work

Here, it might be helpful, provided that you have (moral) authority over the person.

3) In formulating a national economic policy.

Here, "get a job" does nothing, and may distract from real fiscal/monetary/other options.

Because they don't care and when you dint care about your solutions everything is easy.

Don't have a job? Go get one!
No jobs around? Move!
Can't move, no money? There's ways!
Unwanted pregnancy? Have it! Figure the rest out!
999! I want my country back! Patriot Act!

You don't seem to understand - THERE ARE NO JOBS TO BE HAD!

We can thank Obama's economic policies. :eusa_whistle: They're fucking us all over. The buck stops at the presidents desk.

Which policies are you talking about?

Dean, come on now. You're dealing with the same person who said this:

Look at Most of the African nations and you will understand [why Cain is incompetent]. I just thought Cain was a rare case that I could trust.:eusa_whistle:

I wouldn't waste too much time on him.

Last edited:
We can thank Obama's economic policies. :eusa_whistle: They're fucking us all over. The buck stops at the presidents desk.

You're dealing with the same person who said this:

Look at Most of the African nations and you will understand [why Cain is incompetent]. I just thought Cain was a rare case that I could trust.:eusa_whistle:

I said Cain was competent, but maybe not. :lol: I had a open mind, but he is blowing it is pretty much what I'm saying. The truth isn't liked.

I was saying that Cain was a case that I felt could make a ok president...Even through I don't trust most blacks.

Last edited:

Well Obama is using the same Policies that Bush used in Sept-Oct 2008. Everytime you use these "polcies" things have just gotten worst. Time to go back to pre-mid 2008 policies that were working.

I said Cain was competent, but maybe not. :lol: I had a open mind, but he is blowing it is pretty much what I'm saying.

The point that I was making flew completely over you head. Not even close. Look at your avatar, then reread what I quoted and you just. might. get. a. clue.

Life Inc. - Older Americans' challenge: No time to recover from recession

Meanwhile they have to grapple with how to pay for rising health care costs and may have to make difficult choices between covering medical costs and other expenses.
The report also noted that it has been extremely difficult for older workers who lose jobs to find new ones.
The unemployment rate for Americans 55 and over was 6.7 percent in September, according to the most recent data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. That’s far lower than the overall unemployment rate of 9.1 percent.
But for workers 55 to 64 years old, the median duration of unemployment is 43 weeks. That compares to an overall median duration of 22 weeks, according to the most recent BLS data.

I love it when they right wingers keeps saying, "Go get a job". Below are just a few of the posts. This is sad. But it's a reflections of today's Republican America. Where their policies have led.

I'm 59. Lost my job in 2007, took 2 years to find a new one at 40% less than what I was earning. Market has killed my 401K. Gonna be fun!

Lost 40% of my IRA in '08, laid off at 64, forced to sell my home for 35% less than 5 years ago. Good health and job skills, but no jobs.

I was essentially forced into retirement at 60. Laid off after 40 yr in Ins. 500 resumes -0- interviews

We thought we'd be ok with 1 state & 2 fed. pensions, 2-401(k)s, 2 IRAs & Social Sec. Pensions may not be there & savings may be worthless

Stock market is killing my 401(k); I'm worried and I'm not close to retirement age yet.

Our stock portfolio was decimated twice. The company I retired from is removing medical benefits annually, providing zero by 2014.

You tell me, My company has been Struggling to hire people actually. It's not super high paying, but its 10 or over per hour, and we literally run ads and get maybe 4 calls. How can that be here in Michigan? Can it be because they are on Unemployment and would rather just collect it all and keep looking for that "better Job" they think is out there?

The Stats don't lie Rdean. Government stats show that about 70% of people on unemployment get a job shorty after their Benefits run out. Why? Because all of the sudden they really needed a Job.

Unemployment is normally 26 weeks, we have people drawing out 99 weeks right now, and turning down Jobs because WTF they got 99 weeks. There is almost no oversight at all either. My wife knows people who were laid off from her work that have drawn out 70 Plus weeks and have never once had to do a damn thing to show they were looking for work at all, other than putting your Resume on the "talent bank" when you first sign up for Benefits. People who collect for 99 weeks the whole time working under the table for someone or doing side jobs for Cash. Selling shit on Ebay to make up the gap. 99 weeks is almost 2 years. It's almost a 2 year paid vacation if you have any wits at all and can find a way to supplement your Unemployment under the table. lol

I mean WTF man, You give people something they can abuse and draw out for 4 times the normal Benefit length, and a large portion of them will take advantage, and are.

Last edited:

Well Obama is using the same Policies that Bush used in Sept-Oct 2008. Everytime you use these "polcies" things have just gotten worst. Time to go back to pre-mid 2008 policies that were working.

Mid-2008...why does that ring a bell? Financial crisis comes to mind.

I said Cain was competent, but maybe not. :lol: I had a open mind, but he is blowing it is pretty much what I'm saying.

The point that I was making flew completely over you head. Not even close. Look at your avatar, then reread what I quoted and you just. might. get. a. clue.

I judged the guy based on his policies and beliefs even through my better judgement tells me not to(Africa, Hati, Detroit, ect). I don't hate people for the color of there skin, but for what the vast majority of them have been shown to do when they govern..

Last edited:
Because if they get a job they are no longer unemployed.

Not exactly rocket science there.

No. You don't seem to understand.

You think people are supposed to give us jobs. We as a people need to stop being lazy and start being proactive and creating our jobs.

Not to mention we need to stop being so proud that we refuse work that is available.

I judged the guy based on his policies and beliefs even through my better judgement tells me not to(Africa, Hati, Detroit, ect). I don't hate people for the color of there skin, but for what the vast majority of them have been shown to do when they govern..

Yeah, right. Look. I'm telling you as a white guy; when you have an avatar of Obama and Rev Wright in Black Panther klan robes and hoods, with, "Whitey invented da' AIDS to kill da' black man", and you also insinuate that black people aren't fit for higher office, you kind of come across as a racist. Perhaps you're not aware of it. But I thought you might like to know.

Republicans don't say that. Left wing radicals just think they do and that's good enough for them. Republicans know the difference between government "shovel ready" jobs that the silly kid we elected makes jokes about, and real jobs. The government never earned a dime that wasn't confiscated from the private sector. Republicans know that. Hiring a gang of workers to paint a bridge doesn't grow the economy. It just moves confiscated taxpayer funds around. Republicans know Wall Street and Banks and corporations grow the economy. Too bad democrats are too stupid to learn.

Forum List

Back