Why do Republicans believe so deeply in what government says?

Londoner

Gold Member
Jul 17, 2010
I have a close Republican friend who tells me constantly that government cannot be trusted. His theory is that concentrated power attracts precisely the two personality-types that should never be allowed near power: the corrupt or the idealistic. For this reason he says that power, by definition, must be dispersed.

When it comes to social programs, he is a cold eyed realist: "if you pay someone not to work, they won't. If you levy punitive taxes on innovators and producers, people won't innovate and produce".

When it comes to hope and change, he is surgical: "Every postwar American president has promised all things to all people, but none of them has had the courage to be honest with the middle class about the hard choices that lie ahead. Instead of calling for sacrifice, the government hands out credit cards and false promises"

Point is: my friend doesn't believe anything the government says. He believes that Washington's concentrated power transforms all politicians -- sooner or later -- into corrupt insiders who provide favors to special interests.

(accept for when it comes to war)

Whether it be Vietnam or Iraq, he believes government. He believes that the corrupt monster called government is, somehow, magically honest and good when it comes to war.

(He cried -- literally cried -- when Reagan gave speeches about the evil empire. If you try to tell him that Washington has very skillfully hidden the real costs of the Cold War and the War on Terrorism, he gets defensive and mean. Why? Because government doesn't lie.)

Indeed, as a Cold Warrior, he has a deep, indefatigable patriotism which is engaged fully by war. This is his blind spot. When he thinks of presidential war speeches he gets extremely emotional. He craves romantic stories about National Greatness. The pride of being an American -- of being better and more evolved than the rest of creation -- defines him.

He is the archetype Republican Voter -- decent, honest, hard working, practical, & just -- but utterly trusting in government when it comes to the most important thing: war. He, to put it simply, trusts government deeply. He doesn't question the Pentagon, the war budget, "the mission", or the nuts-&-bolts narrative of what the government says the dangers are.

When the government speaks of the domino theory or the dangers of Hussein, he believes it. Unlike the Lefties who rebelled against Johnson, he doesn't question the government description of war.

I have a question.

Why do Republicans trust Washington so deeply?

This is not a rhetorical question. It is genuine. I do not ask it disrespectfully. I have never, ever received a convincing answer, despite years of asking (on both sides of the ocean). I have been attacked for asking this question, but I have never heard a carefully reasoned, historically rich argument.

Last edited:
I have a close Republican friend who tells me constantly that government cannot be trusted. His theory is that concentrated power -- the kind that can found in government -- attracts precisely the two personality types that should never be allowed near power: the corrupt or the idealistic. For this reason, he says that power, by definition, must be dispersed.

When it comes to social programs, he is a cold eyed realist: "if you pay someone not to work, they won't. If you levy punitive taxes on innovators and producers, people won't innovate and produce",

When it comes to hope and Big Promises, he is surgical: "all postwar American presidents have promised all things to all people, but none of them have had the courage to be honest with the middle class about the hard choices that lie ahead. Instead of calling for sacrifice, the government hands out credit cards and false promises"

Point is: my friend doesn't believe anything the government says…

Whether it be Vietnam or Iraq, he believes government. He believes that the corrupt monster called government is, somehow, magically honest and good when it comes to war.

(He cried -- literally cried -- when Reagan gave speeches about the evil empire)

Indeed, as a Cold Warrior, he has a deep, indefatigable patriotism which is engaged fully by war. This is his blind spot. When he thinks of presidential war speeches he gets extremely emotional. He craves romantic stories about National Greatness. The pride of being an American -- of being better and more evolved than the rest of creation -- defines him.

He is the archetype Republican Voter -- decent, honest, hard working, practical, & just -- but utterly trusting in government when it comes to the most important thing: war. He, to put it simply, trusts government deeply. He doesn't question the Pentagon, the war budget, "the mission", or the nuts-&-bolts narrative of what the government says the dangers are.

I have a question.

This is not a rhetorical question. It is genuine. I have never, ever received a convincing answer, despite years of asking.
Not all Republicans support war, and not all Democrats support peace, then you have to make the distinction between those that want minarchy (a small government), and those that want to eliminate government all together (an ideal shared by anarcho-capitalists and communists), which would result in an end to the mechanism that allows war to occur in the first place.

Last edited:
And the left believes that the corrupt monster is, somehow, magically honest and good when doling out charity, nagging us about smoking and what foods we eat, dictating what kinds of cars we drive, haranguing us about the environment and recycling...The list goes on and on.

Same shit, different flies.

I have a close Republican friend who tells me constantly that government cannot be trusted. His theory is that concentrated power attracts precisely the two personality-types that should never be allowed near power: the corrupt or the idealistic. For this reason he says that power, by definition, must be dispersed.

When it comes to social programs, he is a cold eyed realist: "if you pay someone not to work, they won't. If you levy punitive taxes on innovators and producers, people won't innovate and produce",

When it comes to hope and change, he is surgical: "Every postwar American president has promised all things to all people, but none of them has had the courage to be honest with the middle class about the hard choices that lie ahead. Instead of calling for sacrifice, the government hands out credit cards and false promises"

Point is: my friend doesn't believe anything the government says…

(He cried -- literally cried -- when Reagan gave speeches about the evil empire)

When the government speaks of the domino theory or the dangers of Hussein, he believes it. Unlike the Lefties who rebelled against Johnson, he doesn't question the government description of war.

I have a question.

This is not a rhetorical question. It is genuine. I do not ask it disrespectfully. I have never, ever received a convincing answer, despite years of asking (on both sides of the ocean). I have been called a traitor, but I have never seen a carefully reasoned, historically rich argument.

Authoritarianism.

And the left believes that the corrupt monster is, somehow, magically honest and good when doling out charity, nagging us about smoking and what foods we eat, dictating what kinds of cars we drive, haranguing us about the environment and recycling...The list goes on and on.

political_circle_small.jpg

I like this one.

Shows how little you know about the left.

I like this one.

The term "politically correct" cracks me up.

The reason the right wing doesn't like "PC" is because they are a party that is 90% white.

When right wingers show pictures of the White House lawn covered in "watermelons", they just say, "Get over it" to anyone who complains.

The Democrats are a true coalition Party, they can't afford to call each other names. Because they have to work together.

The reason right wingers are against civil rights is because, being the largest group in the country, all laws are slanted towards them. The don't have to worry about being told they can't go somewhere or "can't get in". The only time I've heard them really complain is they hate that they can't belong to the NAACP. Right wingers believe they should be welcome everywhere in a leadership position.

The right wing has a true double standard. When Bush gets jumped over thousands more qualified because of his dad or McCain gets into the Naval Academy because of his dad, the right is fine with that kind of "Affirmative Action". Even when they graduate with a C minus average or graduated 5th from the bottom out of 899.

In fact, most right wingers are so racist, they assume someone like the president couldn't possibly have gotten into Harvard without AA and must have got a pass on his grades simply because he's black.

It all comes down to how you define AA and how racist you were raised to be.

I like this one.

The reason the right wing doesn't like "PC" is because they are a party that is 90% white.

When right wingers show pictures of the White House lawn covered in "watermelons", they just say, "Get over it" to anyone who complains.

The Democrats are a true coalition Party, they can't afford to call each other names. Because they have to work together.

The reason right wingers are against civil rights is because, being the largest group in the country, all laws are slanted towards them. The don't have to worry about being told they can't go somewhere or "can't get in". The only time I've heard them really complain is they hate that they can't belong to the NAACP. Right wingers believe they should be welcome everywhere in a leadership position.

The right wing has a true double standard. When Bush gets jumped over thousands more qualified because of his dad or McCain gets into the Naval Academy because of his dad, the right is fine with that kind of "Affirmative Action". Even when they graduate with a C minus average or graduated 5th from the bottom out of 899.

In fact, most right wingers are so racist, they assume someone like the president couldn't possibly have gotten into Harvard without AA and must have got a pass on his grades simply because he's black.

Do you ever give your bullshit a rest? EVER?

Shows how little you know about the left.

:lol:....coming from the dipshit who thinks he knows the right....

When it comes to social programs, he is a cold eyed realist: "if you pay someone not to work, they won't. If you levy punitive taxes on innovators and producers, people won't innovate and produce".

Point is: my friend doesn't believe anything the government says. He believes that Washington's concentrated power transforms all politicians -- sooner or later -- into corrupt insiders who provide favors to special interests.

(He cried -- literally cried -- when Reagan gave speeches about the evil empire. If you try to tell him that Washington has very skillfully hidden the real costs of the Cold War and the War on Terrorism, he gets defensive and mean. Why? Because government doesn't lie.)

I have a question.

This is not a rhetorical question. It is genuine. I do not ask it disrespectfully. I have never, ever received a convincing answer, despite years of asking (on both sides of the ocean). I have been attacked for asking this question, but I have never heard a carefully reasoned, historically rich argument.

By Cold Warrior, do you mean he was in the military during the cold war? If so, that proves his point that involvment in government corrupts reason and makes honest discourse impossible. This guy's direct contribution to the efforts of government has destroyed his ability to think critically about that aspect of government - he is personally invested in the ugly truth not being true.

geezus christ.....the same shit over and over.....would somebody please put a different song on?.....or at least put a sock in this jerks orifice.....thank you.....

You guys crack me up. You go on endlessly about Obama and the left. As soon as some "truths" about the right wing are pointed out, you scream, "Put a sock in it" and "Stop, it hurts".

If the message were so bad, defend it. Tell us what Republicans have done for the last 20 years.

Putting an index finger in each ear and singing the "La la" song just doesn't do it.

The only time I don't trust government is when right wingers are in charge. They're dishonest. They are never on the side of the average American. They hate this country so much, they will make government fail just to prove it can't succeed.

Forum List

Back