Why do Protestants refer to the roman Catholic church

To the original question:

Catholic means "all ecompassing."

Christianity rose in Rome but also in other areas throughout the Middle East. Several schisms occurred, one of which was the Byzantium Emperor accepting Christianity and gathering the local bishops to form a church separate from the influence - and bishop - of Rome.

So we had the Christian church of Rome and the Christian church of Byzantium which became known as the Orthodox church. They are entirely separate although Francis is reaching out to try to get the two to cooperate more.

In theory you're correct, but when the Pope is the one saying it's ok then it becomes "The Catholic Chruch says...Is ok."

No, it doesn't. It means the Church had a bad Pope. If I remember my history of Popes correctly, the Church has never had two bad popes in a row--which shows that the Church does recognize wrong-doing in its midst and does work to eliminate it. I don't want to dismiss or diminish whorehouses, but the Church has had to deal with and overcome things much worse than prostitution by Catholics/clergy.

I do understand that non-Catholics have the (wrong) impression that what a Pope says, the Catholic Church says. This is not correct. Some even believe if a recognized Saint said something, that is also the same as the Catholic Church saying something. Again not correct. This would be simple, but reality is the Church and its hierarchy are a bit more complex. Individual Catholics, up to and including the Pope, can voice individual opinions without speaking for the entire Church.

To the original question:

Catholic means "all ecompassing."

Christianity rose in Rome but also in other areas throughout the Middle East. Several schisms occurred, one of which was the Byzantium Emperor accepting Christianity and gathering the local bishops to form a church separate from the influence - and bishop - of Rome.

So we had the Christian church of Rome and the Christian church of Byzantium which became known as the Orthodox church. They are entirely separate although Francis is reaching out to try to get the two to cooperate more.

Ecumenical outreach between the Catholic churches (East, West, Coptic) did not begin with Pope Francis, but continues back several decades now. It is good to see it continues.

Forum List

Back