Why do people say the GOP platform opposes abortion without exception?

I must be looking in the wrong place. I see things such as the GOP platform calling for a ban on sex-selective abortions. If the platform calls for a ban on all abortions then why specially single out sex-selective abortions? I see the platform also calls for the protection of fetuses which are developed to the point of being able to feel pain.

I'm not sure I'm finding the language which so outraged people that they compared it to Todd Akin's comment about legitimate rape.

I would appreciate someone helping me out with the passage or passages which were deemed so objectionable.

TIA.

seriously?

I can see your perspective.

I felt like the question was a set up, because abortion is limited to non-viable fetuses.

Are you sure about abortion being limited to non-viable fetuses within the context of partial birth abortions? Serious question. I need to get that straight before I go any further on this track.

I thought that the controversy over partial birth abortion was that viable fetuses could be aborted if the mother had a doctor who was willing to sign off on the pregnancy being bad in some general sense for her physical or mental health.
You can have an abortion now, at any time if a doctor says the mother is at risk. It's my understanding that partial birth abortions were limited to non-viable fetus, however, I could be wrong on that.

I'm reading that it is done on either side of the viability line. Here's something Wiki said about it:

This statute prohibits a method of abortion in the United States that it names "partial birth abortion". The procedure described in the statute is usually used in the second trimester, from 15 to 26 weeks, some of which occur before and some of which occur after viability. The law itself contains no reference to gestational age or viability. The present statute is directed only at a method of abortion, rather than at preventing any woman from obtaining an abortion.​

Partial-Birth Abortion Ban Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Are you sure about abortion being limited to non-viable fetuses within the context of partial birth abortions? Serious question. I need to get that straight before I go any further on this track.

I thought that the controversy over partial birth abortion was that viable fetuses could be aborted if the mother had a doctor who was willing to sign off on the pregnancy being bad in some general sense for her physical or mental health.
You can have an abortion now, at any time if a doctor says the mother is at risk. It's my understanding that partial birth abortions were limited to non-viable fetus, however, I could be wrong on that.

I'm reading that it is done on either side of the viability line. Here's something Wiki said about it:

This statute prohibits a method of abortion in the United States that it names "partial birth abortion". The procedure described in the statute is usually used in the second trimester, from 15 to 26 weeks, some of which occur before and some of which occur after viability. The law itself contains no reference to gestational age or viability. The present statute is directed only at a method of abortion, rather than at preventing any woman from obtaining an abortion.​

Partial-Birth Abortion Ban Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ok.

I will concede that Barbara Boxer is a nut who supported abortion on viable fetuses.

Except I never suggested "my side" doesn't have idiots. However I still dont know of any elected representive who supports a woman's right to have an abortion "up until birth".

Obama supports it after the point of birth, why else would he vote against a bill requiring a doctor to get medical attention for a baby after it is born?

Like I said, you can pretend your side is not the one that is extreme all day long, but your only hope of keeping that delusion alive is to put me on ignore, I will keep pointing out the truth.

FactCheck.org : Obama and ‘Infanticide’

Perhaps or issue is, when is "birth". The links provided talk abort late term and partial birth abortions, which are abortions right before the 25th week.

The link talked about babies that survive abortions and how Obama voted not to make letting them die a crime because of a specious argument that it undermined Roe v Wade.

It has now become obvious that the reason you are unaware of any elected representative that supports abortion is because you live in a world where facts are not as important as your beliefs.

Barbara Boxer was talking about partial birth abortion, not aborting a baby in or anywhere near the ninth month.

She was talking about aborting viable fetuses. The general subject was partial birth abortion. The specific details were about fetuses which could be born and could survive on their own if their birth weren't interrupted by having their brain suctioned out.

The very specific details included the issue of what the baby's rights would be if it were accidentally fully born and Boxer didn't want to answer that.

I can see your perspective.

I felt like the question was a set up, because abortion is limited to non-viable fetuses.

No it isn't,

Last edited by a moderator:
Reminder: This is the CDZ. No Put Downs, No Name Calling, No Flames. Constructive Discussion and Debate.

Wheres the "up until the time of birth" part?

Seriously? Did you not read this part?

We oppose any and all efforts to weaken or undermine that right. Abortion is an intensely personal decision between a woman, her family, her doctor, and her clergy; there is no place for politicians or government to get in the way.

Im not reading that as "we want to give women the right to have an abortion until the kid pops out". I have never heard any democratic representative advocate for abortion until birth.

Besides that, there are plenty of ‘em here that do argue for it all the time.

Aside from what you are citing in the OP, there have been plenty of calls for banning abortion from the right as there has been resistance from the left in implementing reasonable restrictions on abortion. Most reasonable people recognize that abortion should be legal and yet it should also be regulated is certain ways to protect the right to life.

The reality is, there really is not a consensus on either side on what their stance is. The entire republican or democrat party is not behind/against abortion and, IMHO, abortion is not really going to change anytime soon. Most of the legal pushes for things like the personhood amendment are just political blustering that is never going to actually happen.

New Topics

Forum List

Back