Why do people say that Obama "instituted equal pay for women"?

Amelia

Rookie
Feb 14, 2011
Packerland!
Why do people say that Obama "instituted equal pay for women"? Hasn't that been the law of the land for many years?

Last edited:
  • Banned
Why do people say that Obama "instituted equal pay for women"? Hasn't that been the law of the land for many years?

Obama Signs Equal-Pay Legislation - NYTimes.com

Here's the law itself: http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=111_cong_public_laws&docid=f:publ002.111

It removes the 180-day limitation on filing suit from when a worker first notices discriminatory pay.

Seems like a pretty good idea to me. I'll give Obama props for this one.

He signed equal pay legislation. However, he did not institute equal pay for women. Pretty big difference. Maybe if there weren't so much exaggeration it would be easier to give him credit for good things he has actually done. Maybe not. We're a partisan bunch. But I still consider the claim dishonest. Items like that in the lists of supposed achievements make me wonder how many other errors/exaggerations there are.

The Equal Pay Act of 1963 (EPA)

EDITOR'S NOTE: The following is the text of the Equal Pay Act of 1963 (Pub. L. 88-38) (EPA), as amended, as it appears in volume 29 of the United States Code, at section 206(d). The EPA, which is part of the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938, as amended (FLSA), and which is administered and enforced by the EEOC, prohibits sex-based wage discrimination between men and women in the same establishment who perform jobs that require substantially equal skill, effort and responsibility under similar working conditions. Cross references to the EPA as enacted appear in italics following the section heading. Additional provisions of the Equal Pay Act of 1963, as amended, are included as they appear in volume 29 of the United States Code.

The "instituted equal pay for women" quote came from here, Obama Administration’s Achievements (Thus Far) » Obama's Achievements Center, and I've heard it claimed by others. Heard it at least once within the last four days - in an interview about how satisfied people were with Obama, leading up to the SOTU address.

I didn't vet the whole achievements list. That one just caught my eye.

Obama Signs Equal-Pay Legislation - NYTimes.com

Here's the law itself: http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=111_cong_public_laws&docid=f:publ002.111

It removes the 180-day limitation on filing suit from when a worker first notices discriminatory pay.

Seems like a pretty good idea to me. I'll give Obama props for this one.

He signed equal pay legislation. However, he did not institute equal pay for women. Pretty big difference. Maybe if there weren't so much exaggeration it would be easier to give him credit for good things he has actually done. Maybe not. We're a partisan bunch. But I still consider the claim dishonest. Items like that in the lists of supposed achievements make me wonder how many other errors/exaggerations there are.

The Equal Pay Act of 1963 (EPA)

EDITOR'S NOTE: The following is the text of the Equal Pay Act of 1963 (Pub. L. 88-38) (EPA), as amended, as it appears in volume 29 of the United States Code, at section 206(d). The EPA, which is part of the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938, as amended (FLSA), and which is administered and enforced by the EEOC, prohibits sex-based wage discrimination between men and women in the same establishment who perform jobs that require substantially equal skill, effort and responsibility under similar working conditions. Cross references to the EPA as enacted appear in italics following the section heading. Additional provisions of the Equal Pay Act of 1963, as amended, are included as they appear in volume 29 of the United States Code.

The "instituted equal pay for women" quote came from here, Obama Administration’s Achievements (Thus Far) » Obama's Achievements Center, and I've heard it claimed by others. Heard it at least once within the last four days - in an interview about how satisfied people were with Obama, leading up to the SOTU address.

I didn't vet the whole achievements list. That one just caught my eye.
Oh, yeah, the sycophants vastly exaggerate everything he's done. No question.

Forum List

Back