Why do people put up Christmas lights?

You can call them "holiday lights" if you want to but why do we do it? For the kids? Because of peer pressure? So far the ACLU hasn't gotten involved in law suits against private property owners who display extravagant Christmas lights but who knows?

Why do I put up Christmas lights? I guess because they remind me of Obama supporters and I enjoy leaving them out in the cold. Why do they remind me of Obama supporters? It's because none of them are too bright and all they do is just hang around all day and with all day to do it and consume my electric bill even though half of them don't work anyway.

Merry Christmas drones.

View attachment 22945
----------------------
hahaha-024.gif

There's a place I've been to during Christmas season that has extraordinary light displays. It's like a drive through light show. Lot's of fun, especially when the weather precludes walking around.

You can call them "holiday lights" if you want to but why do we do it? For the kids? Because of peer pressure? So far the ACLU hasn't gotten involved in law suits against private property owners who display extravagant Christmas lights but who knows?

Why do people put up Christmas lights?

People? Different reasons for different people I suppose.

For us:

Well, simply because we can and because we love them as well as loving the season. They add a beautiful festive look both inside and out.

NO INFLATABLES EVER!:lol:

Last edited:
Perhaps it has something to do with a Spiritual concept of Light?
Light always has a strong Spiritual connotation.
Trying to emulate it in a way?
I don't really know for sure...

:clap2: We have a winner!

I just got here and this is my first post :funnyface: but the answer is "sympathetic magic". We (i.e. our forebears) started festooning lights in the waning days of fall either side of Winter Solstice in order to encourage the sun to come back. The use of mistletoe, holly and evergreens, same thing -- representations of Nature things that don't die off, to bring back the things that do.

Maybe it's still with us because it works!

They did here years ago.. made City Park change their light display from "Christmas in the Oaks" to "Celebration in the Oaks."

Now all the whiney babies that wouldn't have gone anyway don't have to deal with it.

Fucking assholes.

Perhaps it has something to do with a Spiritual concept of Light?
Light always has a strong Spiritual connotation.
Trying to emulate it in a way?
I don't really know for sure...

:clap2: We have a winner!

I just got here and this is my first post :funnyface: but the answer is "sympathetic magic". We (i.e. our forebears) started festooning lights in the waning days of fall either side of Winter Solstice in order to encourage the sun to come back. The use of mistletoe, holly and evergreens, same thing -- representations of Nature things that don't die off, to bring back the things that do.

Maybe it's still with us because it works!

All remnants of the pagan Germanic practice of Yuletide that Christianity commandeered. Santa Clause is essentially an amalgam of St. Nicholas and Odin. The December 25th date is because of it's proximity to the winter solstice. The majority for Christmas traditions come from Yuletide, plus a sprinkling of the Jesus birth narrative.

Anyway, there probably is something to the strong spiritual connotation of light. I can buy that.

They did here years ago.. made City Park change their light display from "Christmas in the Oaks" to "Celebration in the Oaks."

Now all the whiney babies that wouldn't have gone anyway don't have to deal with it.

Fucking assholes.

Don't worry. Remnants of the Christian tie-in to Yuletide are certain to remain. Many of the traditions that the pagan Germans practiced centuries ago were absorbed into the celebration of Christmas when the area was Christianized. Yule singing became caroling, the god Odin became Santa Clause, the sacrifice of the yule boar became the Christmas ham, etc. The tradition of the yule log, mistletoe, and many others all have their origins in the pagan celebration of Yuletide.

Some of the traditions introduced by Christianization will be retained I'm sure. If it all comes from pagan Germanic traditions anyway, who cares? I'm fairly certain that churches will continue to celebrate Christ's birth.

Last edited:
To compete with my neighbors. Isn't that why EVERYBODY puts up lights?

I put them up.... to annoy the neighbors!!! Putting up lights was going to subvert their children in their opinions.... so up they went.

I wrapped strings up the trunks of the tress in our yard....and left them up all year.

Fucking assholes.

Funny, I thought it always was "Celebration in the Oaks". That's the only title I remember and that's going back over a dozen years, but I don't really pay attention to that kind of detail.

I can definitely see "Celebration" over "Christmas" in the Oaks because somehow NOLA climate just doesn't invoke reindeer in the mind's eye. I must have lived there ten years before I ever saw Snowflake One.

All of which reminds me of this: [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37HrOWhR5RA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37HrOWhR5RA[/ame]

Last edited:

I'm confused about the issue here. There has been no problem from the ACLU or any government agency with people adding exterior Christmas lights on their property but this is just about what could happen?

I call them Christmas decorations and use them and no one has ever had a problem. Why would there be?

i put them out because i'm stealing electricity from that asshat, votto, and it amuses me.

it's also why my air conditioners are running 24/7 in december along with my electric heaters.

merry christmas, douchebag, have a vinegar and water on me :thup:

Ribbit, ribbit.

Merry CHRISTmas to ya!!

Sorry, I assume your flesh started to burn after reading that. I assure you, it was not intentional. :D

Now run along now and finish off what is left of a free economy.

why would my flesh burn because your caps lock got stuck?

now trot back up to the window; those fries aren't going to hand themselves out, skippy

I can't tell which avatar I liked better del. I think both are adequately appropriate.

Forum List

Back