Why do people practice a Religion?

amrchaos

Pentheus torn apart
Nov 1, 2008
Miami
I think many of us non-believers need to take a different approach to this subject, even if fellow believing civillians tend keep asking the question--Why don't you believe? every second of the day.(Kind of like asking why are you "YOU"?)

Religion is a system of held beliefs, codes, and ethics. Also, it tends to group the believers in a group identitiy that they are both apart of and add to. A manner of looking at it from this point, religion is a cultural and personality shaping tool in which "Ideal citizens" are created.

Of course, when you look at the end results, not all practioners resemble anything "ideal". In fact, they are more like an average person with a chosen method of approaching the world. Yes--Religion is a choice.

Of course, I can be wrong. if anyone else like to add what they think religion is, please comment.

I don't know if religion is a choice. #1 because who knows if there is any such thing as free will or determinism. Might every choice you make be the one you have been determined (either by God or environmental and genetic factors) to make? And #2, I couldn't just choose to be Christian or Muslim, or any other organized religion. I couldn't - none of them vibe with my life experiences. Its almost as if life shapes you and religion may or may not become appealing to you. Anyway, that's how it seems to be to me.

I think many of us non-believers need to take a different approach to this subject, even if fellow believing civillians tend keep asking the question--Why don't you believe? every second of the day.(Kind of like asking why are you "YOU"?)

Religion is a system of held beliefs, codes, and ethics. Also, it tends to group the believers in a group identitiy that they are both apart of and add to. A manner of looking at it from this point, religion is a cultural and personality shaping tool in which "Ideal citizens" are created.

Of course, when you look at the end results, not all practioners resemble anything "ideal". In fact, they are more like an average person with a chosen method of approaching the world. Yes--Religion is a choice.

Of course, I can be wrong. if anyone else like to add what they think religion is, please comment.

From reading your post it seems to me that although you say a new approach to understanding is needed you're still using the old one, or at least one very similar. I bolded a few things which I will respond to as paragraphs so I don't have to quote it up and make it so ugly to read.

This first one, especially the "every second of the day" shows your frustration, which I guess it understandable, but is still, I believe, in the way of finding common ground. Then the asking why you are you part... this is a 2 way street. Just something to think about.

Sure, religion can be a tool for social control. So can an occupying army. There are a lot of things that could be used to control/manipulate a population. This doesn't mean they should or that God intends it that way. I see religion as a path or a tool to reach a goal. Any tool can be misused by man.

Not all of anything turns out perfect, especially when people are involved.

I'm glad you're trying to open a dialog, don't give up on it.

This is all correct, IMO. Religions are moral philosophies, sets of rules that seek to guide adherents to what each religion considers a righteous lifestyle. I'm of the opinion that most people completely misunderstand or ignore their own professed religion's teachings. A person who invades countries considering himself a Christian or a person who flies planes into skyscrapers considering himself a Muslim makes about as much sense as a person who believes in high taxation considering herself a libertarian. Why consider yourself an adherent of a particular philosophy if your personal moral code and your lifestyle are completely out of harmony with that belief system?

Of course religion is a choice. Why wouldnt it be? Almost everything in life is a choice. And everyone choices to act in different degrees of moral responsibility.

Of course religion is a choice. Why wouldnt it be? Almost everything in life is a choice. And everyone choices to act in different degrees of moral responsibility.

Exactly what is "moral responsibility"?
How does it relates back to society/civilization, to the individual?

Is it a need for everyone to practice every aspect under moral responsibility? The majority of people? Or is it possible that some aspects can be left alone while others are a must.

Is it a need for everyone to practice every aspect under moral responsibility? The majority of people? Or is it possible that some aspects can be left alone while others are a must.

I think the more that society is in sync with a moral belief system the better overall it will be. As an example, if everyone believes killing is wrong under any circumstance and adheres to that idea there will be no murders. Society is better off, and the individual is too.

Everyone pretty much agrees murder is wrong so that's an obvious example, it's when we get into other subjects that things start to fall apart. Religion, or any belief system really, that binds people together with shared morals should provide a positive benefit to both society and the individual.

I think the more that society is in sync with a moral belief system the better overall it will be. As an example, if everyone believes killing is wrong under any circumstance and adheres to that idea there will be no murders. Society is better off, and the individual is too.

Everyone pretty much agrees murder is wrong so that's an obvious example, it's when we get into other subjects that things start to fall apart. Religion, or any belief system really, that binds people together with shared morals should provide a positive benefit to both society and the individual.

Hold it---Are you saying that if someone believes a law or concept that is held up by a religion, that they share a common "moral" thread with that relgion.

Whoa--that means Judeo-Christo-Islamic-Hindi-Buddha-Tao-Confuci-Jaini-Wicca are related!!! regardless of world view!!

Why do people practice a Religion?

Because they want to belong to something bigger than themselves. Take for instance Liberalism. Liberals love to drink Kool-Aid, cavort, have abortions and act like Zombies. Why? Because it makes them feel important.
>>

This is the reason Republicans lost big time!! Such silliness. Your religion is "Rushism"

Is it a choice? Well sure, but choices occur in contexts. Becoming a Mormon can hardly be called the same choice if you're somebody raised by your stake's president versus somebody who was born and raised in Saudi Arabia.

So one aspect is friends and family will tend to push people towards religion or, less frequently, away. There are advantages to being a member of a religious community. People tend to distrust each other in American society these days, but tend to have a greater level of trust of those within their church community. They also tend to distrust atheists more, believing morality requires fear of god. This can affect opportunities in employment, dating, and recreation.

On an individual level it is comforting to believe you and those you care about will go to heaven or achieve nirvana, while your enemies will go to hell or be reincarnated as a veal calf. The world seems unfair, and we'd like to pretend it's fair and benevolent in the end. Death is the great mystery, and instead of accepting the idea that we don't know what happens, people feel a need to pretend they know. It's always been like that. Earlier civilizations that didn't understand natural phenomena like lightning also made up gods to explain it.

Forum List

Back