why do people lie?

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 22, 2004
Minnesota
We have been taking care of my niece for a couple months. The other night she found out her parents were lying to her and confronted them about it. And they decided to tear her down for it because they were feeling guilty about being caught.

Needless to say it pissed us off. What pissed me off more was it was a lie over the stupidest thing. No one cared about it. What they were hiding was nothing to lie about. So why lie? And why destroy your child because your lying about nothing important?

I don't understand people.

People can be cruel for the most unimportant reasons. And people lie to themselves. I am sad your niece was hurt by the people who should be protecting her the most.

We have been taking care of my niece for a couple months. The other night she found out her parents were lying to her and confronted them about it. And they decided to tear her down for it because they were feeling guilty about being caught.

Needless to say it pissed us off. What pissed me off more was it was a lie over the stupidest thing. No one cared about it. What they were hiding was nothing to lie about. So why lie? And why destroy your child because your lying about nothing important?

It's called being selfish and self-centered
I'm not being mean either, just truthful.

Did joseph smith ever explain why he lied all the time...?

Probably for self servitude or sometimes for others.

Two historians I know are investigating the origins and beginning of the LDS church as an incrementally evolving criminal and racketering organization to delude the faithful and take their money and enjoy their women.

Since we don't know what the lie was about, I don't see how anyone can judge.

"The most common lie is that which one tells himself; lying to others is relatively an exception." Friedrich Nietzsche

The problem is more then lying, the OP pointed out they revictimized the victim, because they can't teshuva properly due to the human ego.

But this opens up a can of worms, as who is it that revictimizes those who shine light *truth* in the darkness *lies*? Lying & revictimizing:
Telling people Isaiah 53 plural past context about despised Israel is about singular future popular Jesus.

Telling people Micah 5:10 is about the town of Bethlehem
when it's context is clearly about being out of the lineage of Bethlehem Ephratah (a person)

Changing what the OT says in Psalms and Isaiah
like changing the word Almah or calling at my hands & feet pierced. Blotting out my name HaShev by transliterating it to Shewb. The Torah uses HaShev the NT uses the word Shewb, that's because???

Telling people Isaiah 7 is about Jesus when its a sign for Ahaz in his day not 600 years after he's dead and does Ahaz no good. Context is about the war with Assyria in which his son king Hezekiah has "God with him" in defeating Assyrian army, thus becomes prince of peace and father figure so claiming Jesus the prince of peace especially while comitting thousands of wars over his image is worse then just lying, it's outright ignorant and evil.

Claiming Jesus is in 300 verses was a lie in itself but claiming that astronomical odds makes him Messiah becomes a bigger lie after you find out I fulfilled over 1200 (from all cultures) and suddenly that standard you denounce thus admitting it was a giant lie. (that's called being busted by your own failed logic).

Satan claims itself the new god, the new Israel, and new tax (tithe) collector. It claims it's evangelists the new IRS tax collectors and will gladly rip off your senile grandmas.

Satan claims JW and Jewish worship of Yhwh has to convert to worship of Lucifer Jesus instead, admiting this image is not the same God.
Of course we know this already since one of the first lessons is God is not a man nor form.

It's hard to say without knowing what they were lying about (which is none of our business). One of the questions I ask people when I interview them for a job is "tell me about a time when you lied to someone". You would be surprised how many people claim to have never told a lie in their life. I never hired any of them because they are....well....liars. :lol: I find the best answers to be those where the person says they lied to spare another person pain or give them encouragement and confidence. The question of "is it ever right to lie and if so when?" has been a subject of debate among philosophers and religious leaders for centuries and the debate has never been settled.

But generally speaking people lie because they are afraid. They are afraid of what will happen to them if they tell the truth, they are afraid of what will happen to someone else they care about if they tell the truth, they are afraid of what will happen to an institution or a philosophy or a theology.....they are afraid. Often they are afraid with very good reason and sometimes they believe they are serving a greater good.

What was the lie? They told her that they had proof that god is real?

We have been taking care of my niece for a couple months ... The other night she found out her parents were lying to her and confronted them

are the two statements related ?

were you aware of the lie before your niece " found out" ?

really, your posts criticism "lying about nothing important" seems self directed ....

"Needless to say it pissed us off. What pissed me off more was it was a lie over the stupidest thing. No one cared about it. What they were hiding was nothing to lie about. So why lie? And why destroy your child because your lying about nothing important?"

nothing important but still important enough for you to undermine their parent/child relationship over it.

Parent lie to kids from the get go. They are named too. Santa, Easter bunny, Tooth fairy etc. why do they do it? You all tell me because I decided to not do that to my daughter when she was born. I felt it established a parental relationship with lies.

"Needless to say it pissed us off. What pissed me off more was it was a lie over the stupidest thing. No one cared about it. What they were hiding was nothing to lie about. So why lie? And why destroy your child because your lying about nothing important?"

nothing important but still important enough for you to undermine their parent/child relationship over it.

As her guardian we have the responsibility to keep her soul from being destroyed and watching her be destroyed by those she is starved for affection from posses us off. The relationship has been damaged and broken for a while and until we can help her heal and be strong it cannot be healed.

OK. What were they lying about? Did they murder their grandma in some weird occult ritual?

Some people are pathological liars... they lie for no reason... even when they don't have to.
My youngest son used to be like this, he'd just make stuff up. Maybe out of boredom?

Out of curiosity, did you step in on behalf of your niece? Did you call her parents out for their lies and subsequent dressing down of their daughter?

It's hard to say without knowing what they were lying about (which is none of our business). One of the questions I ask people when I interview them for a job is "tell me about a time when you lied to someone". You would be surprised how many people claim to have never told a lie in their life. I never hired any of them because they are....well....liars. :lol: I find the best answers to be those where the person says they lied to spare another person pain or give them encouragement and confidence. The question of "is it ever right to lie and if so when?" has been a subject of debate among philosophers and religious leaders for centuries and the debate has never been settled.

But generally speaking people lie because they are afraid. They are afraid of what will happen to them if they tell the truth, they are afraid of what will happen to someone else they care about if they tell the truth, they are afraid of what will happen to an institution or a philosophy or a theology.....they are afraid. Often they are afraid with very good reason and sometimes they believe they are serving a greater good.

I thought of a good situation to lie. Let's say you are in Nazi Germany and you have hidden a couple of Jews in your home so they will not be taken off to be executed. The Germans come to your door and ask if you have seen any Jews in the area or if you are hiding any Jews. To save the lives of your Jewish friends, you simply lie to protect them. Would God justify you in this lie? I believe he would.

Only God knows what is happening concerning that story, Avatar. You will have to seek him for those answers. It is a blessing for your niece that you are taking care of her for a couple of months. It's a sign of your compassion I believe. I believe you'll be blessed for it.

Forum List

Back