Why do people do this?

Discussion in 'Health and Lifestyle' started by PredFan, Jun 9, 2018.

1. PredFan

PredFan Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,151
    You suffer under the delusion that your nonsense is fact simply because you state it.

2. PredFan

PredFan Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,151
    No argument there, but again, why would anyone think that those inspirational quotes would help them with their depression, with their life?

3. Cecilie1200

Cecilie1200 Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,099
    Maybe trying to remember a time before they let the depression overwhelm them?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. Cecilie1200

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,099
    Artistic talent does seem to go hand-in-hand with being nuts. Maybe because it drives you crazy, maybe because you have more imagination than other people, maybe because you think artists HAVE to be crazy.

For me, it's because my particular artistic ability is accompanied by voices in my head, dictating stories to me over and over until I write them down to shut them up. Can't say I ever found that depressing, though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Fort Fun Indiana

Fort Fun Indiana Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,279
    Wrong. It is a demonstrable fact that different things work for different people. That is quite independent of what I had for breakfast. And it succinctly answers your question. Face it...you didn't want an answer.

6. Cecilie1200

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,099
    Because none of that has anything to do with depression.

7. Cecilie1200

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,099
    Well, everyone in my life thinks I'm amazing . . . except me. Depression is a very inward-facing experience, centered around the person and his/her inner life and thoughts and feelings. What other people see rarely has anything to do with it, and when it does have an effect, it can often make the depression worse to be admired, because inside you feel like a fraud who doesn't really deserve it. For someone who has suffered from chronic depression for much of his/her adult life, it can be very difficult to maintain enough perspective to try to see yourself as others see you, and to hold onto a sense of self-esteem.

Also, keep in mind that clinical depression usually has nothing whatsoever to do with what's going on in one's life. It isn't organic in that sense, but something that's imposed onto your life by other factors. No one knows for certain, but clinical depression - as opposed to the kind caused by actually having something to be sad about - is thought to be an inability of the sufferer's body to maintain the correct mix of chemicals in the brain. I was born with it, as far as anyone can tell, and if I stop taking my meds, it always seeps back in. When I first started taking my medication at the age of 24, and it was the first time in my life I had EVER not been depressed, it was like I had been wearing a pair of dark sunglasses my whole life. I could see everything clearly, I could even see colors, but they were all covered over by a dark haze. And then I saw without the sunglasses for the first time ever, and it was the same world, but it was so bright!

Anyway, hope this lends some insight.

8. Cecilie1200

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,099
    Because it doesn't mean they didn't have valuable insights from inside the imbalance that can help others?

Or, as I've said, maybe people just want to remember them well, from before the depression ate them. I think it's an attempt people make to distance themselves from the depression and the suicide, because it's scary.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Cecilie1200

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,099
    Well, most methods of dying are painful, and I can promise you I don't have the courage to cause myself physical pain.

That's the only courage I'm willing to attribute to suicide, though.

10. NewsVine_Mariyam

NewsVine_Mariyam Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +624
    This I do not agree with. For a lot of people it's something that has traumatized them in the past, that has occurred again and that they expect to keep occurring again and again in the future. It is the thought of being subjected to the same traumatizing event(s) repeatedly with no way to ever see any end that often will push them over the edge.

It's probably close to impossible to make a person who has never experienced depression to wrap their mind around how it feels and what it entails. Some of us females get a glimpse into the realm with our hormone fluctuations so I have a pretty good grasp on how it feels but it's always just been temporary.