Why do people do this?

Filipino's are very proud people. They do not do this to put themselves up on Jesus level but it is their way to do their penance. Just like some fast, or other rituals the Filipino do this. The ones that do this, do it year after year so the ones that are nailed have holes so it doesn't hurt them. It did the first few times but they felt that was the least they could do to show their honor to God to show they are sorry for their sins.

I heard about it and asked my house girl to take me to see one year. She told me that not many outsiders go because to them it was just something really personal to them.

I suppose since then some found away to get a few bucks to feed their families.

Me, I have my own opinion on it but won't judge it either for that is between them and God.

To non believers of course you would call them crazy, heck you all think anyone who reads the bible or go to church are crazy.
No, it's perfectly sane to mutilate yourself.

You know, where I used to live in New Mexico there was a Catholic group in the mountains that were rumored to do crazy things on Easter.

They didn't let outsiders in, though. In fact, people avoided the place like the plague.

Yes, the Penitente Indians. And those are the ones to which the OP refers, I believe.
Nope. Read the OP. It's about Philippinos, not the American Indians of New Mexico.

One thing both groups have in common though, is they are influenced by Spanish colonial culture. When you consider the Inquisition and how Spain was at onetime in the grip of a particularly sadistic form of Catholicism, you do wonder if this cruel practice of reenacting Christ's crucifixion is a remnant of that mindset.

Yes, you are right, I missed that. Hard to do, but I mannaged to do it.:lol:

Thanks

Filipino's are very proud people. They do not do this to put themselves up on Jesus level but it is their way to do their penance. Just like some fast, or other rituals the Filipino do this. The ones that do this, do it year after year so the ones that are nailed have holes so it doesn't hurt them. It did the first few times but they felt that was the least they could do to show their honor to God to show they are sorry for their sins.

I heard about it and asked my house girl to take me to see one year. She told me that not many outsiders go because to them it was just something really personal to them.

Me, I have my own opinion on it but won't judge it either for that is between them and God.

To non believers of course you would call them crazy, heck you all think anyone who reads the bible or go to church are crazy.

I think you're engaging in a little bit of a generalization here. I don't think that everyone that reads the bible or goes to the church is crazy. I just think that everyone that believes in creation, immaculate conception and other bullcrap like that is 'not in their right mind'. There's a difference.

religious people are crazy. american christians are too lazy to do it properly though. all throughout the world people re-enact jesus's trials and suffering

Don't You think that Non-Religious People are crazy too? I think the key word here is People. Crazy is a given.

No, it's perfectly sane to mutilate yourself.

Is Over Burdened Taxation a form of Mutilation?

No, it's perfectly sane to mutilate yourself.[/QUOTE]

Sure. We call it fashion.

I think you're engaging in a little bit of a generalization here. I don't think that everyone that reads the bible or goes to the church is crazy. I just think that everyone that believes in creation, immaculate conception and other bullcrap like that is 'not in their right mind'. There's a difference.

Those things are matters of Faith. To Each His Own. Funny You mentioned the Immaculate Conception. Though I may agree with You there, I would ask do You know the meaning? There is understanding and then there is tradition, which sometimes distracts.

Yes, the Penitente Indians. And those are the ones to which the OP refers, I believe.
Nope. Read the OP. It's about Philippinos, not the American Indians of New Mexico.

One thing both groups have in common though, is they are influenced by Spanish colonial culture. When you consider the Inquisition and how Spain was at onetime in the grip of a particularly sadistic form of Catholicism, you do wonder if this cruel practice of reenacting Christ's crucifixion is a remnant of that mindset.

Yes, you are right, I missed that. Hard to do, but I mannaged to do it.:lol:

Thanks
I'm always overlooking to most obvious myself. :tongue:

Forum List

Back