Why Do People Believe in God?

Atheists take a lot of flack from religious people. Their views are defined by not believing in God. Many people say an atheist could not be elected as President/

I would say they have plenty to talk about in relation to religion. And why shouldn't they?

Freedom of religion in the US also means freedom from religion.

no it doesn't--it means that there is no government sanctioned religion---a Rastafarian can quite legitimately talk to you about religion and not be depriving you of any "rights".

no it doesn't--it means that there is no government sanctioned religion---a Rastafarian can quite legitimately talk to you about religion and not be depriving you of any "rights".

And I have the right to turn away from the Rastafarian and say 'no thanks' which is more than some non-Christians get to do in public on Christmas.

Last edited by a moderator:
And I have the right to turn away from the Rastafarian and say 'no thanks' which is more non-Christians get to do in public on Christmas.

OMG--you mean you have to see Christmas decorations ?????
oh the torture--hopefully your Buddhist teachings can help you cope.

Well what is it that you are forced to do by Christians and Christmas ?

I didn't use the term force. It's near impossible to express that you don't celebrate Christmas without getting into a fight with Christians about it.

I stopped celebrating Christmas because I lost a number of loved ones on or near to that day. My wife and I started attending Buddhist retreats at that time, because it was one place we could go and relax and just be present without sad reminders.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am an athiest and I love christmas and the christmas story.I love everything about it, Santa and everything and I don't believe he exists either:lol:

I am an athiest and I love christmas and the christmas story.I love everything about it, Santa and everything and I don't believe he exists either:lol:

Good for you. Enjoy your Christmas. Have a merry one. I'm happy for you.

I don't know how anyone could really give reasons why that would convince non-believers if they didn't want to believe. I wouldn't ever try.

but this is what I believe...
The world and all of its mysteries are more than I will ever understand. I've seen things that I can't comprehend. And I've felt God's presence. I believe God loves us all and wants us to love each other. I believe God forgives us if we are truly repentant. I believe we should forgive each other and try to help each other.

I know someone will take issue somehow with something I said, but that's ok, I really like these threads. Reading the posts, even the negative ones, fills my heart with love and compassion. I hope you all have a wonderful day.

I can't believe you don't know what a personal relationship is. Have you always been a loner?
Sorry, I never had an imaginary friend as a child so I do not know how you feel. However, I am fairly certain that it is classified as a mental condition to have an imaginary friend as an adult. Also I assure you that there are actual real human beings out there that you can engage in relationships. You need not limit yourself to relationships that exist only inside your head.

Last edited:
Sorry, I never had an imaginary friend as a child so I do not know how you feel. However, I am fairly certain that it is classified as a mental condition to have an imaginary friend as an adult. Also I assure you that there are actual real human beings out there that you can engage in relationships. You need not limit yourself to relationships that exist only inside your head.

You seem to be particularly angry at Christians.

Let it go, find peace, be happy. You seem to be a particularly miserable person.

Can he?

What if he talks to you about getting together to procure and smoke some sacrament?

His crime, in that case, is conspiracy, you know.

Everyone in America has a right to believe whatever they choose to. Freedom of religion.

That includes the freedom to not believe.

We don't owe anything to each other to 'validate' the beliefs or non-beliefs. We do as citizens have to find a way to live side by side in peace.

The problem is it doesn't seem enough to Christians to be secure in being the 'one, true Church. Somehow everyone else on earth is supposed to bow down and supplicate YOUR church, whether it is true to anyone else or not.

If we're not careful, we could have a Christian Taliban in America. There certainly is plenty of militant Christian rhetoric.

THat is complete and utter bullshit. No, the Christian church does not require that everyone believe. It is the Muslims and the atheists who feel free to ridicule, undermine and attack Christians.

And I'd like to point out once again, that despite what asshole atheists say, it is not "forcing religion down" the throat of people to voice your beliefs. It is "forcing your religion down the throat of people" if you insist on disrupting displays, if you ridicule, jeer and intimidate people of different religions, if you call them stupid or backward because they have faith, and if you tell people that it is only Christians who are acting as jihadists when they profess their faith...while Muslims, atheists, and agnostics are simply enjoying freedom of speech.

you dont own public display space so, yes, you are forcing your dogma at other poeple by comandeering common land for the sake of your faith. Your faith doesn't require that you put up a baby jesus every year on the courthouse lawn so why pretend that such is a ramification of your faith?

what did the last atheist courtyard display that you've seen look like, baba?

Last edited:
you dont own public display space so, yes, you are forcing your dogma at other poeple by comandeering common land for the sake of your faith. Your faith doesn't require that you put up a baby jesus every year on the courthouse lawn so why pretend that such is a ramification of your faith?

If you think putting up a nativity is forcing a dogma on other people, you must spend every bit of money you have when you go to the mall. After all, they are 'forcing their products' on you there in a similar manner.

And I'd like to point out once again, that despite what asshole atheists say, it is not "forcing religion down" the throat of people to voice your beliefs. It is "forcing your religion down the throat of people" if you insist on disrupting displays, if you ridicule, jeer and intimidate people of different religions, if you call them stupid or backward because they have faith, and if you tell people that it is only Christians who are acting as jihadists when they profess their faith...while Muslims, atheists, and agnostics are simply enjoying freedom of speech.

Of course it is.

If you think putting up a nativity is forcing a dogma on other people, you must spend every bit of money you have when you go to the mall. After all, they are 'forcing their products' on you there in a similar manner.

When did the public spring for buying land for a mall?

:cuckoo:

Forum List

Back