Why do minorities have to be told to vote?

Revere

Rookie
Jan 23, 2010
Watching you in my profile page
Or, perhaps more accurately, why do people who want their votes feel they won't get them unless they really, really push them hard to vote?

Democrats say Republicans don't want minorites to vote, but it's Democrats who have to drag minorities kicking and screaming to the polls.

Is the problem Republicans? Or is it Democrats who think they are entitleed to minority votes, but invariably fail, with one exception, to get minorities to show up and vote for them?

Remember Psych 101, Revere? Maslov's Heirarchy Of Needs?

800px-maslows_hierarchy_of_needssvg.png

For most people, the desire to engage in the political process is a very sophisticated need. Unless the more fundamental needs are met (they are food secure, housing secure, feel some degree of emotional satisfaction, etc.) they will not turn their attention to who is running for governor, etc.

There's also Erikson's Theory Of Adult Development....

Erikson8.gif

For most adults, engaging with others on a community-wide, state-wide or nationwide basis is a later-in-life function that occurs along with successful resolution of the Generativity vs. Stagnation Stage.

So, if more urban people/people of color are younger or poorer, or both, than other voters......the thought is, more effort will be required to motivate them to go to the polls and vote.

I hope that helped. Political Science 101.

• Banned
I know a lot of white people who are flat on their backs thanks to Obama's economy and intend to vote anyway. They are poorer, young, not feeling terribly secure or satisfied.

I consider your analysis racist to correlate color with those things.

I know a lot of white people who are flat on their backs thanks to Obama's economy and intend to vote anyway. They are poorer, young, not feeling terribly secure or satisfied.

I consider your analysis racist to correlate color with those things.

race_card.gif

Well played. A bit premature, and certainly I could defend my reply, but WTF.....

.....you MUST be right and Professor Feigert was a RACIST! Why did I never see that until now?

OMG, education is such a mind fuck...

Well then, I do not think they understand human nature.

I have reached the top of a lot of triangles, octagons, even isogons’ masturbating.

Never underestimate the power of self hierarchy of need.

Or, perhaps more accurately, why do people who want their votes feel they won't get them unless they really, really push them hard to vote?

Democrats say Republicans don't want minorites to vote, but it's Democrats who have to drag minorities kicking and screaming to the polls.

Is the problem Republicans? Or is it Democrats who think they are entitleed to minority votes, but invariably fail, with one exception, to get minorities to show up and vote for them?
They don't need to be told TO vote....only that, The Suits are (actually) Konservative Klowns; incognito.​

Why do republicans feel the need to supress minority voting?

Every candidate knows where their constituency is. They concentrate on campaigning and getting out the vote in those areas.

Its the way our political system has always worked

Democrats say Republicans don't want minorities to vote, but it's Democrats who have to drag minorities kicking and screaming to the polls.

Is the problem Republicans? Or is it Democrats who think they are entitled to minority votes, but invariably fail, with one exception, to get minorities to show up and vote for them?
I guess rallies held by the likes of Beck have nothing to do with a 'get out the vote' campaign.

Have I inferred the right message from your post? Democrats organize get out the vote campaigns for minorities and Republicans resent it. Republicans could care less about the political aspirations of minorities so their votes should not be encouraged.

You mean like this kind of thing?

GOP Bets on Get-Out-Vote Campaign for Win : NPR

I'm wondering if you heard all the absolute begging Rush/Sean/Beck did for Conservatives to get out and vote for the GOP in 2006 and 2008.

Parties always sound most desperate when they're about to lose power. The DNC is looking at probably losing the House in 2010. Of course they're going to work to get out the vote.

Good lord, this OP is petty. Every party, every candidate, every partisan-aligned issue advocacy group, targets its natural constituency for get out the vote efforts. Most minorities are Democratic constituencies. No shit the Democrats are going to tell them it's important to get out and vote. Just like Republican candidates go out to meet and greet at NASCAR events. Why the fauxrage? Do you not want people to be told voting is important?

New Topics

Forum List

Back