Why do liberals say secession is TREASON?

If one argues that war against a state of the Union is illegal, but that the Confederacy was another country, then there is nothing to forbid war against it.

But lincoln refused to say that. He would not concede the South was another country. He always maintained they were rebel americans.
Lincoln is not debating here; you are. You say the 'South' was another country and then claim the Union could not constitutionally engage in war against a foreign country. It is your self-contradiction that is addressed. Jefferson cultists seem to have an obsession with the idea that anyone who sees the Civil War differently from they is a 'Lincoln cultist'.

Wrong. We see anyone who thinks Lincoln's invasion of the South was Constitutionally justified is a Lincoln cultist. Whether you argue that the South was a separate country or still part of the United States, Lincoln's invasion was not constitutional. In the former case, he invaded a foreign country without declaring war or getting authorization from Congress. In the later case, he committed treason by making war on states of the union.

Last edited:
My post would be wrong if yours were correct. That is, however, not the case. Lincoln did not make war against a foreign country or a state. As President, he effectively dealt with an armed insurrection.

My post would be wrong if yours were correct. That is, however, not the case. Lincoln did not make war against a foreign country or a state. As President, he effectively dealt with an armed insurrection.

Nope. Secession is not an insurrection.

Unilateral attempts to change the government are insurrection. The secessionist movement was an attempt to illegally separate from a binding Union, as has been established in previous posts.

One of the biggest mistakes ever made in this nation's history was slavery. There is plenty of blame to go around.

That doesn't mean we can simply ignore the fact that the south not only fought through democratic means to continue this practice but actually went to war with their fellow countrymen with the express purpose of defending this evil institution. That they preferred betrayal, death, and destruction before defending the God given rights of people. That the union was preserved and the evil institution of slavery was eventually destroyed by the hard work and sacrifices made by the north.

The sins of the South make the problems we had with King George seem petty.

AGAIN, DID SOUTH CAROLINA THREATEN TO SECEDE IN 1828 OVER HIGH TARIFFS?

DID THE NORTHERN STATES INCREASE THE TARIFF FROM 15 to 37% in 1861?

DIDN'T THE SOUTHERN STATES DEPEND ON IMPORTS PRIMARILY FROM SELLING COTTON TO THE UK?

No one argued that they only did it for one reason.

Note that I said the one reason they did not do it was to free the slaves. You claimed that's why they did it.

Both the north and south had a lot of motivations. High on the list for both was slavery. To argue otherwise is delusional. You can do it and I can laugh.

Why did the North still have slavery during the Civil War?

Why did the Underground Railroad end in Canada?

Why did some Northern states pass the 13th amendment well after many/most Southern states?

Why did Grant own slaves?

Why did Lincoln offer the Southern states the opportunity to cease rebelling, and if they did the Emancipation Proclamation wouldn't turn into law?

Why did the Emancipation Proclamation only free slaves in the South, and not the North?

I'm not suggesting that slavery wasn't a justification Lincoln leveraged to get the North to support the war more (when MANY citizens in the North were willing to let the South go)...I'm suggesting that it wasn't the main reason initially for the war.

All of those questions really don't demonstrate anything.

The war was started by the South and it was their motivations that mattered most. The motivations of the abolitionists in the north were generally a peaceful democratic resolution to the issue and their power wasn't absolute.

One of the biggest mistakes ever made in this nation's history was slavery. There is plenty of blame to go around.

That doesn't mean we can simply ignore the fact that the south not only fought through democratic means to continue this practice but actually went to war with their fellow countrymen with the express purpose of defending this evil institution. That they preferred betrayal, death, and destruction before defending the God given rights of people. That the union was preserved and the evil institution of slavery was eventually destroyed by the hard work and sacrifices made by the north.

The sins of the South make the problems we had with King George seem petty.

DIDN'T THE SOUTHERN STATES DEPEND ON IMPORTS PRIMARILY FROM SELLING COTTON TO THE UK?

Note that I said the one reason they did not do it was to free the slaves. You claimed that's why they did it.

Both the north and south had a lot of motivations. High on the list for both was slavery. To argue otherwise is delusional. You can do it and I can laugh.

Wrong. The Yankees didn't give a crap about the slaves. Lincoln even said so.

Lincoln's position on slavery was pretty clear. Congrats on being wrong.

Unilateral attempts to change the government are insurrection. The secessionist movement was an attempt to illegally separate from a binding Union, as has been established in previous posts.

Binding union? Where does the constitution say that?

Yes, his position on slavery was clear:

My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that.

- Letter to Horace Greeley, August 22 1862 -​

Yes, his position on slavery was clear:

My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that.

- Letter to Horace Greeley, August 22 1862 -​
That is because a peaceful democratic solution was his preference.

If you actually read the other things he writes (including the rest of that letter) it is pretty clear he thought that slavery was a clear violations of the rights of people which the government has the duty to secure as established in the DOI. His arguments are what got him elected.

Lincoln was a good man who made very clear arguments that are relatively easy to follow for logically thinking people.

None of you little children having a tantrum about being wrong has shown that the Perpetual Union was nullified.

The South did not wage war on the Union. You have it precisely backwards. Lincoln waged war on the South. That was an act of treason. It was also evil. The fact that you approve demonstrates that you're evil.

Yes indeed. The South simply left. And for that lincoln invaded them and started a huge war. L was the traitor.
The south started the war dip shit .

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Tapatalk

When did the South invade another state?
Look at you acting like the south was a separate country. You democrats are so stupid

Nope. Secession is not an insurrection.

Yup - as President Davis said, "We just want to be left alone".
Then he attacked a union fort and many union ships ... he like all democrats was a liar

Yup - as President Davis said, "We just want to be left alone".
Then he attacked a union fort and many union ships ... he like all democrats was a liar

Because the north was a foreign country that insisted on keeping their troops in his country. The south was merely defending itself from an invasion.

Forum List

Back