Why do languages have genders? Impossible to learn!

In English,there is a pronoun like "he" but also a "she". Then there is "his" and "hers". And so on. Why is this extra complexity? Did girls use to speak a different English from guys? Also, other languages have neutral genders, to increment the gender count to three. Is that because half of the speakers were slaves and eunuchs? What is the big idea for this stupid language grammar gender thing in all Indo European languages?

Gender in language is a way to to reflect the world more effective :)
Do Russian verbs have gender?

I am guessing not.

Yes, every Russian verb has gender, expressed by ending. And also, almost all inanimate objects in Russian language have genders - it's one of source of language paradoxes, difficult for foreign people :)

I knew it was harder than German -- my mom told me.

As I've said, there is no "harder" in and of itself.

I am guessing not.
Unfortunately they do in the past tense. Male past tense is -l, female is -la, and neutral is -lo. Disgraceful.

"Disgraceful"?

?????
Okay, the Russians are not the stupidest in putting some optimization and logic into their language. The French and the German are worse. Still disgraceful. In fact, the somewhat better irregular English verb tensing too is already a constant mess up on children who learn English as their first language.
English is the most "simple" language in terms of sloppy structure.

Spanish is next, just slightly more complicated.

French is next, with lots of silent letters. In Spanish you pronounce all the letters.

German is next, with very structured declensions and conjugations.

Latin is next.

Greek is next.

Hebrew is extremely complex with gender for the verbs too. Russian and Japanese also have gendered verbs.

That post made no sense whatsoever.

I am guessing not.
Unfortunately they do in the past tense. Male past tense is -l, female is -la, and neutral is -lo. Disgraceful.

"Disgraceful"?

?????
Okay, the Russians are not the stupidest in putting some optimization and logic into their language. The French and the German are worse. Still disgraceful. In fact, the somewhat better irregular English verb tensing too is already a constant mess up on children who learn English as their first language.
English is the most "simple" language in terms of sloppy structure.

Spanish is next, just slightly more complicated.

French is next, with lots of silent letters. In Spanish you pronounce all the letters.

German is next, with very structured declensions and conjugations.

Latin is next.

Greek is next.

Hebrew is extremely complex with gender for the verbs too. Russian and Japanese also have gendered verbs.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is exactly how you do NOT do comparative linguistics. ^^^^^^^

Forum List

Back