why do incumbents have to campaign?

Liberty

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2009
colorado
hmm? Wouldn't their record speak for itself and let the cards fall where they may? Obama is our President, unfortunately but ALL next year and the rest of this year he isn't going to do his job. He is going to be on the trail, traveling around, begging for money and votes. Seems messed up. Wouldn't a confident incumbent just let their record speak for them and await the election and debate with the challenger? Seems an incumbent who has respect for the system would let their record do the talking and if the people deem it not good enough, gracefully step down and say "well, i tried. Good luck to the new guy." I dont understand why politics is so personal when it should be about accurately reflecting the will of the people.

Last edited:
hmm? Wouldn't their record speak for itself and let the cards fall where they may? Obama is our President, unfortunately but ALL next year and the rest of this year he isn't going to do his job. He is going to be on the trail, traveling around, begging for money and votes. Seems messed up. Wouldn't a confident incumbent just let their record speak for them and await the election and debate with the challenger? Seems an incumbent who has respect for the system would let their record do the talking and if the people deem it not good enough, gracefully step down and say "well, i tried. Good luck to the new guy." I dont understand why politics is so personal when it should be about accurately reflecting the will of the people.
Good question. The mere fact that they do these things means they know they might have screwed up in some form or fashion. Nice fodder for thought you bring up.

If you had not injected the jabs at the current President, this might have been a thought-provoking question. Instead, it just ANOTHER way to heave criticism. You would have us believe that the fact that Obama is going to campaign is an admission that he has not been effective. That is basically ridiculous.

An incumbent who does not campaign would, rightfully so, be seen as cocky, arrogant and over-confident.

Failing to go out and meet constituents is an indication that the constituents are not important to him/her.

The campaign trail is a lucrative series of events.....for both the candidates campaign fund....and the party's general fund....and the places that the candidate visits.

One's record will be the topic of discussion as the opponent hits the campaign trail. Allowing the opponent to write that story is stupid.

Need more?

Simply because people should be able to vote for whom they like; he won the 2008 Nomination; he's yet to win the 2012 nomination.

Good question. The mere fact that they do these things means they know they might have screwed up in some form or fashion. Nice fodder for thought you bring up.

You're right, damn the last 200 years! :evil:

Just curious if you were asking the same question when GW ran for re-election.

Just curious if you were asking the same question when GW ran for re-election.

Shit, where was he 100 years ago? 50? 27.5?

Thomas P. O'Neill, Jr. known by almost everyone as "Tip," first ran for public office when he was still a college student. He lost his bid for a seat on the Cambridge City Council, but he learned two lessons that stayed with him for the rest of his life.

On Election Day, a neighbor told him that she would vote for him, "even though you didn't ask me." When O'Neill protested that he had known her since he was a child, had shoveled her walk and cut her grass, and didn't think he had to ask for her vote, she replied, "Tom, let me tell you something. People like to be asked."

next question?

Forum List

Back